The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

How to handle a situation with a partner...

Last night I worked a few (3) rec league games with a partner who was officiating his first basketball game ever. He asked how long I had been working basketball, and I told him that this was my third year. I've never been one to give advice or opinion unless asked, but I did tell him that if he had any questions, to feel free to ask. He proceeded to tell me that he was good, but that he didn't want to do any switching because "I don't have time for that stuff". Sign #1.

The first game begins, and my partner does not use signals at all. Not for OOB, fouls, anything. During timeouts, he sits down in the bleachers with the fans, and will not get up until I put the ball in play; yes, in play. Rarely, even when Lead, does my partner venture below the FT line extended. At half time of the first game, I mention that I'm having a hard time because I don't always know what he's calling because there are no signals (trying not to be accusatory and tell him that he needed to give more signals). He proceeds to tell me that it's fine, and we should just keep doing things the same way. Sign #2

At this point (half way through game 1 of 3), I'm in let's get these games over so I can get out of here. The rest of the games proceed as the others had. During the last half of the final game, I was Trail and he was Lead. Shot goes up, bounces off the top of the backboard, and clearly hits the backboard support. After the end of the game (our last), partner asks, "You know that the top of the backboard isn't out of bounds, right?" "Yes," I responded, packing my things to get the heck out of there. "Well, you shouldn't have blown that ball dead then." "Well," I explain, "it hit the backboard support, which is out of bounds, and that's why I blew it deal." "No it didn't," my partner responds, "I had a perfect look at it, and there's no way it hit."

At this point, I was infuriated, and an official who worked in the crew following us saw this, and intervened, asking if he could speak to me. He said "Man, don't worry about it," and I went on my way.

So here are the questions.

1.)What could I have done during the game to have made things better or to have at least kept them from getting worse?

2.) Should I contact my assigner about the situation? My worry is that, as a new varsity official, I don't want to ruffle any feathers that could keep me from getting games.

3.) Is this just par for the course for a new official? I can tolerate kicked rules and poor mechanics, because heck, I still kick rules and don't always use the correct mechanics. But his sense of arrogance and lack of hustle really bothered me. But maybe I'm just overreacting.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Stop working “wreck” ball or deal with the reality that you will work with people that know nothing about officiating. You can contact everyone and that is not going to change the reality of who you will be dealing with at that level. Not everyone takes those games seriously.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref View Post

1.)What could I have done during the game to have made things better or to have at least kept them from getting worse?

2.) Should I contact my assigner about the situation? My worry is that, as a new varsity official, I don't want to ruffle any feathers that could keep me from getting games.

3.) Is this just par for the course for a new official? I can tolerate kicked rules and poor mechanics, because heck, I still kick rules and don't always use the correct mechanics. But his sense of arrogance and lack of hustle really bothered me. But maybe I'm just overreacting.
1) nothing

2) Yes...b/c I know I personally would not want to work with him again

3) No, it's not par for the course.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
1. You handled yourself well. You can’t help people who don’t want to be helped.

2. Wow, telling an assignor you don’t want to work with an official in a “wreck” league will affect Varsity assignments? Yikes! I’ve even gone so far as to tell my assignor a ref was an embarrassment to the league, I wouldn’t pay them due to their lack of effort (teenager – summer league) and I wouldn’t hire them back again - ever.

3. This is not representative of ALL new or “wreck” officials, but, it is my limited experience in my leagues, there are a good many who are in it for the money or whatever, and don’t take it as seriously as you – it can be very frustrating – I know! You do walk a very fine line. I’ve been frustrated like you before. Either work “wreck” ball or not – but, if you do, you are liable to see these folks around……..
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref View Post
So here are the questions.

1)Tell your partner that you are trying to prepare yourself for the upcoming HS season, and really need to work on your mechanics like switching after fouls, etc. Then do it - when a foul is called, switch and cause him to move to the new position.

2)I would only contact the assignor to tell him/her that I didn't want to work with that partner again. If he/she asked why, I would tell them bluntly what went on...

3)No it's not...this was obviously someone who is only there for the chance to earn the quick $$ for doing the rec league games, and not someone who is there to learn how to officiate. Any first year official who has the cojones to say "I'm pretty good" doesn't have a freaking clue what they are talking about.

My only other suggestion would be to contact a couple of your reffing buddies and ask the assignor to give you games with those buddies as you are trying to prepare for the season. Most assignors whom I know will try to help out with a request like that.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 04:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Let's all say it together:

Get in....get done.....get out.*

*mick

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Sounds like you have the same situation I have every night doing wreck ball. I just suck it up and do the games the best I can. The players will eventually figure out who's doing their job and who isn't...unless of course you're like me and get crap constantly because of your age no matter how bad your partner is.

I know guys who will request to work with me cause they are lazy and know they won't have to listen to any crap when they work with me , cause the players always harp on me.

Sorry to kinda hijack your thread, but I had a particularly brutal set of games last night and it got me started...
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rec ball is the epitome of "Get in, get done, get out." Sometimes you need to think hard of the ramifications before realizing you're not supposed to shoot your partner after the game.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 07:40pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Get in....get done.....get out.*

*mick
This, as I experienced first hand, also applies quite well to working football games with certain white hats.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Rec ball is the epitome of "Get in, get done, get out." Sometimes you need to think hard of the ramifications before realizing you're not supposed to shoot your partner after the game.
And sometimes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one. Do your fellow officials a favor, and pull the trigger on this one.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
And sometimes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one. Do your fellow officials a favor, and pull the trigger on this one.
This is what Dr. Laura would call a moral dilemma.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
BITS - Never knew you were a Star Trek fan! One of my favorite movie lines!
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It's been seven years since I worked a rec game.

Don't miss it a bit.