View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref View Post
So here are the questions.

1.)What could I have done during the game to have made things better or to have at least kept them from getting worse?

2.) Should I contact my assigner about the situation? My worry is that, as a new varsity official, I don't want to ruffle any feathers that could keep me from getting games.

3.) Is this just par for the course for a new official? I can tolerate kicked rules and poor mechanics, because heck, I still kick rules and don't always use the correct mechanics. But his sense of arrogance and lack of hustle really bothered me. But maybe I'm just overreacting.
1)Tell your partner that you are trying to prepare yourself for the upcoming HS season, and really need to work on your mechanics like switching after fouls, etc. Then do it - when a foul is called, switch and cause him to move to the new position.

2)I would only contact the assignor to tell him/her that I didn't want to work with that partner again. If he/she asked why, I would tell them bluntly what went on...

3)No it's not...this was obviously someone who is only there for the chance to earn the quick $$ for doing the rec league games, and not someone who is there to learn how to officiate. Any first year official who has the cojones to say "I'm pretty good" doesn't have a freaking clue what they are talking about.

My only other suggestion would be to contact a couple of your reffing buddies and ask the assignor to give you games with those buddies as you are trying to prepare for the season. Most assignors whom I know will try to help out with a request like that.