The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Couple things I want to clarify...

Hey guys...hope all is well with everybody...been working some MS travel league stuff all summer(not that uncommon for C-Doggs)

Wanted to clarify a couple things I had in my games yesterday..

Opening tip...ball is tapped OOB by home jumper...never touched anyone else. Rejump or is ball given to visitors and PA is set toward home? We went with the latter.

2nd, At one time there was a discussion on here about the bottom of the backboard on an inbounds pass....hitting the underside and then flying into the playing court.

Had this yesterday and my P called OOB. I was thinking he kicked this call, even after I gave my explanation. Support structures, shot clock, back side of the backboard are all OOB but underside, top(as long as it doesn't hit clock or go over) and sides are still considered inbounds, correct?

Thanks for helping clear the fog...
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

In both cases you are right.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

First situation:

NFHS 4-3-3-a: Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent’s basket when:
. . .
ART. 3 . . . The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.

An OOB violation, where one jumper clearly touched it last, results in a throw-in for his opponent's team and the arrow being set toward his basket.

Interestingly, I don't see an analogue to this rule in the NCAA book, but A.R. 130 would clearly apply:

A.R. 130. During the opening jump ball, A1 illegally catches the tossed ball. The referee blows the whistle and awards the ball to B1 at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred. How is the alternating possession arrow established?
RULING: The first legal possession is by B1 on the throw-in. When the official hands the ball to the player from Team B, the alternating-possession arrow shall be set for Team A.

Second situation:

NFHS 7-1-2: The ball is out of bounds:
a. When it touches or is touched by:
. . .
3. The supports or back of the backboard.
b. When it passes over a rectangular backboard.

NCAA 7-1: Art. 2. The ball shall be out of bounds when it touches a player who is out of bounds; any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary; the supports or back of the backboard; or the ceiling, overhead equipment or supports.
Art. 3. The ball shall be out of bounds when any part of the ball passes over the backboard from any direction.

Correct on both counts. Keep up the good work.

I was questioned Saturday about a free throw that bounced up off the rim, touched the top of the backboard (without touching the supports) and then back down through the basket. I tell people that the front, sides, top, and bottom are in; perhaps it would be simpler if I told them, "Only the back of the backboard is out."

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Oct 06, 2008 at 02:50pm.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:23pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I tell people that the front, sides, top, and bottom are in; perhaps it would be simpler if I told them, "Only the back of the backboard is out."
I generally tell them that there are 6 sides to the backboard but only 1 is OOB.
As they attempt to figure it out, the look on 85% their faces is PRICELESS!
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 08:14am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs View Post
2nd, At one time there was a discussion on here about the bottom of the backboard on an inbounds pass....hitting the underside and then flying into the playing court.

Had this yesterday and my P called OOB.
Since we've been talking about accidental whistles and POI questions a bit recently, I'll throw this out. Resuming play here would be from the POI, if you were able to convince your partner that he made a mistake. POI would be a throw-in to the team that made the previous throw-in.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
I generally tell them that there are 6 sides to the backboard but only 1 is OOB.
As they attempt to figure it out, the look on 85% their faces is PRICELESS!
Consider it stolen!
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:56am
#thereferee99

How come I can make the case geometricaly...

... that the back bottom edge of the board (shared by the bottom plane and the back plane) is 'the back of the board', yet I would never call it OOB (as long as the pass bounced downwards)?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 10:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
... that the back bottom edge of the board (shared by the bottom plane and the back plane) is 'the back of the board', yet I would never call it OOB (as long as the pass bounced downwards)?
I don't believe that the edge belongs to both the bottom plane and back plan. I think the edge is by definition, infinitesimally thin.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Which means that the way the ball rebounds after hitting the edge results not from hitting the edge, but from hitting one of the planes that intersect at the edge.