View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

First situation:

NFHS 4-3-3-a: Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent’s basket when:
. . .
ART. 3 . . . The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.

An OOB violation, where one jumper clearly touched it last, results in a throw-in for his opponent's team and the arrow being set toward his basket.

Interestingly, I don't see an analogue to this rule in the NCAA book, but A.R. 130 would clearly apply:

A.R. 130. During the opening jump ball, A1 illegally catches the tossed ball. The referee blows the whistle and awards the ball to B1 at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred. How is the alternating possession arrow established?
RULING: The first legal possession is by B1 on the throw-in. When the official hands the ball to the player from Team B, the alternating-possession arrow shall be set for Team A.

Second situation:

NFHS 7-1-2: The ball is out of bounds:
a. When it touches or is touched by:
. . .
3. The supports or back of the backboard.
b. When it passes over a rectangular backboard.

NCAA 7-1: Art. 2. The ball shall be out of bounds when it touches a player who is out of bounds; any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary; the supports or back of the backboard; or the ceiling, overhead equipment or supports.
Art. 3. The ball shall be out of bounds when any part of the ball passes over the backboard from any direction.

Correct on both counts. Keep up the good work.

I was questioned Saturday about a free throw that bounced up off the rim, touched the top of the backboard (without touching the supports) and then back down through the basket. I tell people that the front, sides, top, and bottom are in; perhaps it would be simpler if I told them, "Only the back of the backboard is out."

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Oct 06, 2008 at 02:50pm.