The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

clarify

Runners on 2nd and 3rd one out. Fly ball to center caught, runner on 3rd tags and heads home. Runner at second does not tag heads to third. Throw is cut off at pitchers mound. After a lot of yelling throw to second for missed tag-up. Call runner at 2 out. 3rd out. Question does the run count or not? I have run counting on timing. Was questioned about force out automatically cancling any runs. Thanks
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 03:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you were correct that this is a timing play and the run counts. This is assuming, of course, that R3 touched home before R2 was called out on appeal.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
This is a very good question, and I know a good few umps (not on this forum of course) whom this play would confuse.

Ace in CT
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Clarify an appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjaid
Runners on 2nd and 3rd one out. Fly ball to center caught, runner on 3rd tags and heads home. Runner at second does not tag heads to third. Throw is cut off at pitchers mound. After a lot of yelling throw to second for missed tag-up. Call runner at 2 out. 3rd out. Question does the run count or not? I have run counting on timing. Was questioned about force out automatically cancling any runs. Thanks
You are correct, the run counts, a time play. Welpe nailed above.
It is an out on appeal for failure to retouch or tag 2B, not a force out, after a fly ball is caught.
Typical "force out" challenge from anyone hoping the run would not count.
They correctly apply the wrong rule to gain an unfair advantage on an appeal play.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 26, 2008 at 04:30pm.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjaid
There are many who think this is a force out because all one has to do is touch the bag. Looks to them the same.

A force is an out because the runner was forced to the next bag by the batter becoming a runner. Your scenario is an appeal of a runner leaving before the ball was caught.

Rita
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I know a good few umps (not on this forum of course) whom this play would confuse.

Ace in CT
Like Ed Montague & Marvin Hudson!!!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/29/news/BASE.php