The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Have you ever...

....called or emailed a coach to tell them you kicked a call?

I was thinking about a game I did last year and started wondering if I should have done this after I figured out my mistake.

Here’s the sitch:

Last year, in a hotly contested JV game, I totally kicked a call in the second half. A1 released the ball on a try for goal. While the ball was in flight, I was lead official and observed A2 foul B2. I blow my whistle right about the same time the ball goes through the hoop and immediately punched my fist toward the other basket and then signal “no good” on the shot.

I was 100% sure I was right, and A’s coach was 100% sure I was wrong. He beckoned for me to come talk to him, and I did, explaining that it was a team control foul, so the basket couldn’t count. He didn’t have any reasoning behind why it should be counted, just that he was positive it should count. He asked me if I was sure about my call and I said “100% sure, coach.”

So we played on. My partner wasn’t sure either. It wasn’t until that night, as I was walking up the steps to my apartment that it finally dawned on me. It couldn’t have been a team control foul because team control ends when the shot is released. DUH!! I felt horrible, especially since I had insisted to the coach that I was positive I was right.

So, here’s my question. Would any of you have called or emailed the coach to let him know of your mistake? Is this inappropriate to do? Is it inappropriate NOT to?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on your previousl relationship with the coach and your tenure / standing in the league.

I have never emailed / called a coach in such an instance. I have acknowledged the error when I saw the coach next (it was the next day).
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't email or call him. If you see him this year and have a chance to casually bring it up, you could. I wouldn't go out of my way to find him, though. Chances are he's let it go.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with everyone so far. don't email or call a coach.... EVER. Cause then it gets around that you did so and now you have to do that with ever coach. it will just lead to bad things.

if you have the opportunity to see the coach again then I would acknowledge prior to the game starting.

For the NEWBIES to the forum:
NEVER EVER CALL/EMAIL A COACH!!
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wouldn't email or call him. If you see him this year and have a chance to casually bring it up, you could. I wouldn't go out of my way to find him, though. Chances are he's let it go.
The only reason I could think of to try and tell the coach about the mistake would be the following. Imagine, that you had this team in another game, and the SAME play happened, only you counted the basket... for the other team. Now you are going to have a serious problem. If you tell the coach beforehand, at least everything is above-board in appearance AND reality.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya View Post
The only reason I could think of to try and tell the coach about the mistake would be the following. Imagine, that you had this team in another game, and the SAME play happened, only you counted the basket... for the other team. Now you are going to have a serious problem. If you tell the coach beforehand, at least everything is above-board in appearance AND reality.
Odds are slim, but I personally think it's not a bad idea to bring this up before the game for other reasons; mainly personal integrity.

Only, however, if you have the chance for a casual conversation before the game. If you don't get that, and your situation comes up; simply tell the coach he was right last year.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Good advice. Thanks guys.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
NEVER EVER CALL/EMAIL A COACH!!
I believe an official who used to post on this forum was married to a coach. Never say never. . .
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
....called or emailed a coach to tell them you kicked a call?

I was thinking about a game I did last year and started wondering if I should have done this after I figured out my mistake.
Putting myself in JV Coach A's shoes here:

1) I'd rather get a phone call over an email.
2) If I knew I was going to see him again (and I looked up to verify I was right) I'd wait till then to tell him.
3) If I found out I was right and wasn't going to see him again, I'd probably just forget about it as I got my satisfaction. If he calls the school and admits it, that would just be more icing.
4) If it was a buzzer beater, down by one point, shot that was just disallowed, I would have the AD notify the assignor so he can POE it at his next meeting!

Now, for further thought, lets say it was sitch 4 above and my VARSITY game. Are you guys still turned off if I pull out my rule book?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I believe an official who used to post on this forum was married to a coach.
So what's that got to do with communicating?

I'll start contacting coaches only under two circumstances:

1) after they start contacting me to say they were wrong

2) if I ever make a mistake during a game
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I just might send a quick email to let the coach know that I kicked a rule. It goes to integrity and I see no harm in it what-so-ever. The key here is a rule was kicked... not a judgement call. The content will be short and to the point with an very short apology for the mistake.

Another approach would be to have a conversation with your chapter president and have them reach out to the coach to explain that you are aware of the mistake and are not happy with it and let them handle it.

Also for the the record... I have had a couple of coaches call/email me after contests to apologize for their behavior and or admit their mistakes in disputes over a rules issue.

There does not have to be a giant chasm between officials and coaches. Where the opportunity exists we can have mutual, civilized and unbiased dialouge.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
In a Rec game last yr I informed a coach of the "mercy rule" and that he could not "press" when up by more than 20. Turns out this wasn't specifically in the rules for this division (omission in the rules), but it was for other divisions in the league. No one had issues during the game because it made sense. The team up by 20 actually LOST the game.

But, I looked it up and found out I was wrong and it ate at me a bit. When I saw him before a subsequent game I specifically informed him of such. He was gracious and said they didn't lose because of that!

When reffing in rec leagues I try to avoid these issues by reviewing the specific rules with the coaches before games (3 point line in use?, man to man vs zones, pressing, substitutions, etc. - ya know league specific stuff), but I missed this for some reason.

But to call or email - NOT ME!

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Oct 01, 2008 at 02:47pm.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe I would ever directly contact a coach. However, if I ever felt it was absolutely necessary that I contact them about my mistake in interpreting a rule, I would call my assignor (or call the AD) and have them be the barer of bad news. Or discuss it when I see them next, which would be the case 99 out of 100 times.

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Now, for further thought, lets say it was sitch 4 above and my VARSITY game. Are you guys still turned off if I pull out my rule book?
Yep. I think the problem with that is everyone can see what you're doing, and all it does is show up the official. In fact, it pretty easily falls under the penalty for 10-4-1(b), and, depending on the crowd reaction, 10-4-1(f). (Since you apparently have one those rule book-thingies, you know what I'm referencing. )

I know, for the most part, you just want to make things right, but bringing out the rule book during the game will not work. If you want to discuss a rule after the game, at the local watering hole, in a friendly manner, I have no problem with that. I don't like it if I screw up a rule, and I venture to say almost all us would feel the same. But we will not have that type of discussion during the game.

Along those same lines, have you ever gone up to a ref after a game and apologized for using the wrong strategy at the end of a game, and it caused an overtime? How would you feel if an official came up to you during the game with a Dean Smith or Bob Knight book to point out what you're doing is wrong? Same therory - good discussion well before or after a game, just not during.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It depends on your previousl relationship with the coach and your tenure / standing in the league.

I have never emailed / called a coach in such an instance. I have acknowledged the error when I saw the coach next (it was the next day).
I agree here. If you kicked it during the game, let him know. If you dont get that opportunity, then let him know the next time you see him. I do not call or email coaches.