View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Have you ever...

....called or emailed a coach to tell them you kicked a call?

I was thinking about a game I did last year and started wondering if I should have done this after I figured out my mistake.

Here’s the sitch:

Last year, in a hotly contested JV game, I totally kicked a call in the second half. A1 released the ball on a try for goal. While the ball was in flight, I was lead official and observed A2 foul B2. I blow my whistle right about the same time the ball goes through the hoop and immediately punched my fist toward the other basket and then signal “no good” on the shot.

I was 100% sure I was right, and A’s coach was 100% sure I was wrong. He beckoned for me to come talk to him, and I did, explaining that it was a team control foul, so the basket couldn’t count. He didn’t have any reasoning behind why it should be counted, just that he was positive it should count. He asked me if I was sure about my call and I said “100% sure, coach.”

So we played on. My partner wasn’t sure either. It wasn’t until that night, as I was walking up the steps to my apartment that it finally dawned on me. It couldn’t have been a team control foul because team control ends when the shot is released. DUH!! I felt horrible, especially since I had insisted to the coach that I was positive I was right.

So, here’s my question. Would any of you have called or emailed the coach to let him know of your mistake? Is this inappropriate to do? Is it inappropriate NOT to?