The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Pass Goes Behind the Backboard, Through the Supports

Player A is falling out of bounds under his own basket. He throws the ball behind his back in an effort to save the ball. In doing so, the ball goes from one side of the lane to the other, passing directly behind the backboard, and somehow comes down on the other side of the lane without hitting any supports where it is caught by a teammate. Officials had a "no call". A D-1 official observing said that the play should have been whistled. He says that the ball cannot pass directly behind the backboard. What say you guys and gals?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord View Post
the ball goes from one side of the lane to the other, passing directly behind the backboard, and somehow comes down on the other side of the lane without hitting any supports where it is caught by a teammate. Officials had a "no call".
Correct.

Quote:
A D-1 official observing said that the play should have been whistled. He says that the ball cannot pass directly behind the backboard. What say you guys and gals?
I believe that might be the NBA rule. In HS and NCAA, however, it's only a violation for the ball to pass OVER the (rectangular) backboard.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:36am
Ch1town

Being on top of his rules is one of the reasons he is a D1 official.

NOTE: If the backboard is fan shaped the ball may pass over the backboard without violation.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Being on top of his rules is one of the reasons he is a D1 official.
What "rule" was violated?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
NOTE: If the backboard is fan shaped the ball may pass over the backboard without violation.
I was always curious about this one - why is it different for a fan shape as opposed to a rectangular shape? Anyone know?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Pretty sure Ch1 was being facetious.
Nothing illegal here, nothing to see, folks. Play on.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I was always curious about this one - why is it different for a fan shape as opposed to a rectangular shape? Anyone know?
Because with the fan shape, it's hard to tell if it goes "over" or "beside".
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
I actually had this happen to me during a game. I no called it, and then some official who was in the stands cornered me after the game and blasted me for no calling it. I asked him what rule he was specifically referring to, and he was really vague about it. Just kept on repeating it was in the rule book and I needed to go look.

Next time I saw him was at a DII college game getting his a** chewed out by his supervisor for blowing some calls.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Lobbyist. Help keep the fan shape manufacturers going. I think they are going to need a bail out.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

so... in college is it legal or illegal? Like someone said earlier, this is illegal in the pro game, so I don't want to blow it in a college game, so what is correct?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

There is a rule regarding passing the ball over the supports or over the backboard. However, I believe (without looking this up) that this only applies to a throw-in pass. So if you're on the baseline and you pass it over the backboard/supports to the other side of the court, then you have a violation........I think
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:55am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
No rulebook with me today, but I believe the NOTE under "rule" 7-1 should clarify. I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
There is a rule regarding passing the ball over the supports or over the backboard. However, I believe (without looking this up) that this only applies to a throw-in pass.
No sir, this would apply to any shot or pass (throw-in or amongst players).
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
There is a rule regarding passing the ball over the supports or over the backboard. However, I believe (without looking this up) that this only applies to a throw-in pass. So if you're on the baseline and you pass it over the backboard/supports to the other side of the court, then you have a violation........I think
The rule is about passing over the backboard, not across or behind it. IOW, if it goes front to back or back to front, it's a violation. But if it goes from left to right or right to left, it's not a violation regardless of whether it's behind or in front. It does not matter if it's during a throwin or not.

The only time a throwin matters on this is if the ball passes through the basket.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No rulebook with me today, but I believe the NOTE under "rule" 7-1 should clarify. I think...
There's nothing in 7-1 or any other rule that makes the OP illegal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:36am
Ch1town

I stand corrected. Had to go back & re-read the OP. This line got me: "passing directly behind the backboard".

Reading IS fundamental!
Closed Thread