The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pass Goes Behind the Backboard, Through the Supports (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49164-pass-goes-behind-backboard-through-supports.html)

MajorCord Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:26am

Pass Goes Behind the Backboard, Through the Supports

Player A is falling out of bounds under his own basket. He throws the ball behind his back in an effort to save the ball. In doing so, the ball goes from one side of the lane to the other, passing directly behind the backboard, and somehow comes down on the other side of the lane without hitting any supports where it is caught by a teammate. Officials had a "no call". A D-1 official observing said that the play should have been whistled. He says that the ball cannot pass directly behind the backboard. What say you guys and gals?

Scrapper1 Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCord (Post 540186)
the ball goes from one side of the lane to the other, passing directly behind the backboard, and somehow comes down on the other side of the lane without hitting any supports where it is caught by a teammate. Officials had a "no call".

Correct.

Quote:

A D-1 official observing said that the play should have been whistled. He says that the ball cannot pass directly behind the backboard. What say you guys and gals?
I believe that might be the NBA rule. In HS and NCAA, however, it's only a violation for the ball to pass OVER the (rectangular) backboard.

Ch1town Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:36am

Being on top of his rules is one of the reasons he is a D1 official.

NOTE: If the backboard is fan shaped the ball may pass over the backboard without violation.

CoachP Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 540190)
Being on top of his rules is one of the reasons he is a D1 official.

What "rule" was violated?
:confused:

grunewar Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 540190)
NOTE: If the backboard is fan shaped the ball may pass over the backboard without violation.

I was always curious about this one - why is it different for a fan shape as opposed to a rectangular shape? Anyone know?

Adam Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 540195)

Pretty sure Ch1 was being facetious.
Nothing illegal here, nothing to see, folks. Play on.

Adam Tue Sep 30, 2008 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 540198)
I was always curious about this one - why is it different for a fan shape as opposed to a rectangular shape? Anyone know?

Because with the fan shape, it's hard to tell if it goes "over" or "beside". :)

Kingsman1288 Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33am

I actually had this happen to me during a game. I no called it, and then some official who was in the stands cornered me after the game and blasted me for no calling it. I asked him what rule he was specifically referring to, and he was really vague about it. Just kept on repeating it was in the rule book and I needed to go look.

Next time I saw him was at a DII college game getting his a** chewed out by his supervisor for blowing some calls.

Indianaref Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 540198)

Lobbyist. Help keep the fan shape manufacturers going. I think they are going to need a bail out.

btaylor64 Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:43am

so... in college is it legal or illegal? Like someone said earlier, this is illegal in the pro game, so I don't want to blow it in a college game, so what is correct?

JS 20 Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:48am

There is a rule regarding passing the ball over the supports or over the backboard. However, I believe (without looking this up) that this only applies to a throw-in pass. So if you're on the baseline and you pass it over the backboard/supports to the other side of the court, then you have a violation........I think :)

Ch1town Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 540195)

No rulebook with me today, but I believe the NOTE under "rule" 7-1 should clarify. I think...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 540222)
There is a rule regarding passing the ball over the supports or over the backboard. However, I believe (without looking this up) that this only applies to a throw-in pass.

No sir, this would apply to any shot or pass (throw-in or amongst players).

Adam Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 540222)
There is a rule regarding passing the ball over the supports or over the backboard. However, I believe (without looking this up) that this only applies to a throw-in pass. So if you're on the baseline and you pass it over the backboard/supports to the other side of the court, then you have a violation........I think :)

The rule is about passing over the backboard, not across or behind it. IOW, if it goes front to back or back to front, it's a violation. But if it goes from left to right or right to left, it's not a violation regardless of whether it's behind or in front. It does not matter if it's during a throwin or not.

The only time a throwin matters on this is if the ball passes through the basket.

BktBallRef Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 540226)
No rulebook with me today, but I believe the NOTE under "rule" 7-1 should clarify. I think...

There's nothing in 7-1 or any other rule that makes the OP illegal.

Ch1town Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:36am

I stand corrected. Had to go back & re-read the OP. This line got me: "passing directly behind the backboard".

Reading IS fundamental!