The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Had a player ask me to quiet down the opposing cheerleaders in a Sub-Varsity game.

I saw and heard nothing out of the ordinary.

Ever had that question? What did you do? Are they under officials domain? are they "spectators"?

Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
As long as the cheerleaders stay off the court when they have to and don't use "artificial" noisemakers ignore them.

And the kid who made the request too.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Only problem I ever have with cheerleaders is when they get too close to the baseline. They usually move after you knock one of them down.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 02:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
They usually move after you knock one of them down.
This could be the solution that I have searched for for years. When I ask them nicely to move they look at me like I'm stupid.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Try addressing it in pregame. I've found it usually helps to explain why you need them to move, and pregame is when you actually have time to do it.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I ask them pre game to move and they don't. Then I tell them to move and they don't. Then like Grail I run over one and they ususally get the message.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

But the trick is in knocking one down in such a way that she takes a couple of the others out when she falls.

Bowling for cheerleaders...a very effective means of communication.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

This works for me 99% of the time. “Ladies, I’m 230lbs and not one of you looks to be over 110 lbs. If I come running down the court watching the play and there is a collision because you are too close to the endline/sideline who do you think is going to get wiped out big time?”
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
But the trick is in knocking one down in such a way that she takes a couple of the others out when she falls.

Bowling for cheerleaders...a very effective means of communication.
Larry I have a game tonight so I'll try for the high score
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I would get game administration to help out. I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs. If any resistance comes about, I simply would point this out and ask them who they thought would end up in a hospital. I have had to do it with football in a couple places and usually the cheer mom agrees in a heartbeat.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen a few times and I have just waited for the first stoppage of play, had my partner wait and gone to the table to tell a coach or game administrator to move them. I usually just say that they are in the way and as they move I say thanks to them and we move on. I have never had any complaints or smart remarks back (now that I have said this I will probably have a problem with this at my next game).
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

A little off the subject, but its a cheerleader story...

At halftime of a high school game, the visiting team's cheerleaders did a dance routine on the court. As the cheerleaders left the floor, two boys from the home team's student section jumped out of the stands and ran onto the court. One got down on his hands and knees. The second pretended to "milk" him like a cow. Almost had a riot.

- Catherine Aird
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

This is one of the problems I see with high school court designs with the first row of seats being TOO close to the playing floor.

As a general rule, I've never seen college or pro cheerleaders anywhere except at least six feet past the end line, and in FIBA, Euroleague, and other foreign leagues, it is specifically stated there must be two meters (about 6'7") between the boundary line and playing court, and spectators are recommended to be 5 m (16'6") away from the playing court.

Why can't the NFHS and the gymns find a way to regulate cheerleaders so that they will not interfere with officials? Why can't the stands be moved back to allow officials a clear space or cheerleaders be repositioned?

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 08:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby

Why can't the NFHS and the gymns find a way to regulate cheerleaders so that they will not interfere with officials? Why can't the stands be moved back to allow officials a clear space or cheerleaders be repositioned?
Two words, Bobby.
Money.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 09:01am
Huck Finn

I had a game last year where one of my partners gave a technical for the cheerleaders. I don't know all the ins and outs of what happened but he told them to move or something and they called him an a-hole or something and "toot, toot, toot" we had a technical foul. They were along the sideline at the time because I had already had them move off of the baseline. This was my craziest game last season.