The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:41pm
Ch1town

Once again I apologize for voicing my opinion on this public forum.

In addition to camps/clinics/seminars, I utilize this forum as a learning tool. People get criticized in the camp setting all the time... they don't quit.
I don't see why people would quit coming here because of criticism. I'm not going to stop my growth & developement because of criticism & boy did I go through it when I first started posting here. After a while I learned that the criticism was well deserved & I became a better official because of it.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Once again I apologize for voicing my opinion on this public forum.

In addition to camps/clinics/seminars, I utilize this forum as a learning tool. People get criticized in the camp setting all the time... they don't quit.
I don't see why people would quit coming here because of criticism. I'm not going to stop my growth & developement because of criticism & boy did I go through it when I first started posting here. After a while I learned that the criticism was well deserved & I became a better official because of it.
Wow. I'm not sure what really to take away from you equating quitting a basketball camp to quitting this forum.

But, to go with your analogy, I would quit a basketball camp and go find a new one if I found most of the instructors to be pretentious and condescending.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Wow. I'm not sure what really to take away from you equating quitting a basketball camp to quitting this forum.
Reading IS fundamental!

Quote:
In addition to camps/clinics/seminars, I utilize this forum as a learning tool.
They are both learning tools...
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reading IS fundamental!

They are both learning tools...
I think what you're not really grasping here, in addition to the fact that your tone and comments are incredibly condescending, is that the CRITICISM is not the problem. The way you COMMUNICATE that criticism is.

Actually, I guess that wouldn't be "in addition to..."

Last edited by fiasco; Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 03:53pm.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

But, to go with your analogy, I would quit a basketball camp and go find a new one if I found most of the instructors to be pretentious and condescending.
Well then maybe this forum or any forum is not for you. When you say things on this site, it is not much different than you saying it in a meeting or in the locker room. Someone might take exception to your comments and criticize them. And if you cannot handle the instruction from a camp, then you will not be able to take comments here. And this is just not me saying this; there is a certain reality to when you say things on a public place like this forum.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think what you're not really grasping here, in addition to the fact that your tone and comments are incredibly condescending, is that the CRITICISM is not the problem. The way you COMMUNICATE that criticism is.

How are discerning tone from an internet post? Could one infer that your current tone is anger?
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well then maybe this forum or any forum is not for you. When you say things on this site, it is not much different than you saying it in a meeting or in the locker room. Someone might take exception to your comments and criticize them. And if you cannot handle the instruction from a camp, then you will not be able to take comments here. And this is just not me saying this; there is a certain reality to when you say things on a public place like this forum.

Peace
And there is a certain reality to people not wanting to be talked down to. I don't put up with it in the locker room, in a camp or on a message board.

I'm all for constructive criticism. But I don't put up with being talked down to.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Holy crap! I just went back and re-read what Ch1town wrote in his first post of this thread, and frankly, if that offended you, you need some thicker skin. You're capable of taking "jawing" "all game," but you can't handle an official wondering why you didn't stop the jawing?

You take verbal abuse on the court, but take exception to criticism (mild criticism, at that) on line?

Looks to me like Ch1town may have struck a chord or something.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
How are discerning tone from an internet post? Could one infer that your current tone is anger?
You absolutely could.

And if you asked for clarification, I would likely tell you that I can understand why you might have had that reaction and reassure you that I was not trying to come across as angry but instead putting emphasis on the words criticism and communication and point out that next time maybe I should have put those words in bold instead of all caps.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Holy crap! I just went back and re-read what
You take verbal abuse on the court, but take exception to criticism (mild criticism, at that) on line?
No, I don't take verbal abuse on the court. As I stated before, I handed out two technical fouls last night. One to one of the brothers I mentioned.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think the thing that surprises me the most is that nowhere in this thread or the other thread do I read anyone say anything to the effect of "You know what? Maybe I am the problem. Maybe I could improve my tone. Maybe we could all improve our tone."

Or maybe someone did and I missed it.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No, I don't take verbal abuse on the court. As I stated before, I handed out two technical fouls last night. One to one of the brothers I mentioned.
Fair enough, I guess we misunderstood what you meant when you wrote:

Quote:
He and his brother had been jawing at my partner and me the whole game.
If you took care of it, how does he get to keep "jawing" at you all game? That's the part I don't really understand.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think the thing that surprises me the most is that nowhere in this thread or the other thread do I read anyone say anything to the effect of "You know what? Maybe I am the problem. Maybe I could improve my tone. Maybe we could all improve our tone."

Or maybe someone did and I missed it.
I think Jurassic said it once. He's the sensitive one.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Fair enough, I guess we misunderstood what you mean when you wrote:

If you took care of it, how does he get to keep "jawing" at you all game? That's the part I don't really understand.
I guess I regret my use of the term "jawing." Poor choice of words. In the first half of the first half, it was literal jawing. That's when the T came.

After that, it turned more into mutterings under the breath I couldn't quite hear, rolling of the eyes and such.

I dunno, I've never really been one to T someone up for rolling their eyes, so I let it go. It was happening every few plays for a good portion of the 2nd half, though.

Then, the blood thing happened. After that, we were fine.

So, yeah. Poor choice of words on my part.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And there is a certain reality to people not wanting to be talked down to. I don't put up with it in the locker room, in a camp or on a message board.

I'm all for constructive criticism. But I don't put up with being talked down to.
If you feel you are being talked down to because people are giving their opinion that is something you have to deal with. I am not trying to keep you here, just trying to let you know that a place like this is not going to have everyone talk to you the way you want to. If that is a problem, then this place is not for you. And in my opinion I did not see anyone talk down to you, they just questioned your words which you did say. Welcome to the real world.

Peace