The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

First game of the "season"

Had a fun time last night and even got off a decent one-liner on my first night back.

Men's rec league and a player went down in a scramble for a loose ball and scraped up his knee. He and his brother had been jawing at my partner and me the whole game.

I told him he had to sit out since he was bleeding. He tries to come back into the game after simply wiping it off with a paper towel. But his knee was scraped up and still bleeding. I tell him he can't be in the game until he either gets all the blood off his knee or puts a bandage on it.

He gets snarky with me because he doesn't want to leave the game and asks me in a sarcastic tone as I'm walking away if I have a band-aid.

I turn around and look at him like he's a weirdo and say "Look at my shirt. Do I look like a nurse to you?"

He couldn't help but laugh.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ah, the things you can say in men's leagues....
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 12:54pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
He and his brother had been jawing at my partner and me the whole game.

Don't take any crap off these has beens/never was'!
Sounds like there should've been a T or 2 issued by you or your partner in the first half.

Players do what officials allow them to do.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post

Sounds like there should've been a T or 2 issued by you or your partner in the first half.

Exactly, you should have told the guy to STOP BLEEDING! Just don't allow him to bleed. Problem solved.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ah, the things you can say in men's leagues....
At the risk of being smacked upside the head......

I'm not a big fan of making smart remarks to pissed-off players, coaches or fans at any time, anywhere.

But that's just me.....
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Depends on the atmosphere of Rec League you are officiating in. I've ref'd my share of Rec ball and there some leagues where you are better served by literally telling the ball players to "quit whining and play ball" or "I ref, you play, and that's end of this conversation".

Most times these guys acknowledge they are just whining and at the end of the game they shake your hand and thank you for coming out and working their game.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
At the risk of being smacked upside the head......

I'm not a big fan of making smart remarks to pissed-off players, coaches or fans at any time, anywhere.

But that's just me.....
I agree, if they're obviously pissed. Dis-arming humor can be used to effect at times, but it must be used cautiously. I'd never use it on a player I didn't know relatively well, though. But if it's an adult league and I've dealt with this player regularly, I'd consider it.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Depends on the atmosphere of Rec League you are officiating in. I've ref'd my share of Rec ball and there some leagues where you are better served by literally telling the ball players to "quit whining and play ball" or "I ref, you play, and that's end of this conversation".

Most times these guys acknowledge they are just whining and at the end of the game they shake your hand and thank you for coming out and working their game.
Two words: Yup.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I issued one T the first game and a T in the first half of the game in question.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 02:52pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

You're absolutely right... I was mainly adressing the comment:

Originally Posted by fiasco
He and his brother had been jawing at my partner and me the whole game.

No matter what animal I'm working, coaches/players will NOT be "jawing at me nor my partner" the whole game, especially wreck ball. 3 Ts & the crew goes home early, with pay.

Quote:
I issued one T in the first half of the game in question.
Good for you! Without those in our back pocket a game could quickly turn into a fiasco

Last edited by Ch1town; Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 02:55pm.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just blowing smoke here, but maybe the reason people don't stick around here very long is that it seems like, no matter what the thread, there is always someone wanting to add their own little piece of criticism, even on a lighthearted thread such as this one.

Does it not strike anyone else as incredibly pretentious when someone posts a thread just to mention a funny comment and then gets backhandedly criticized for not handing out enough technical fouls?

Probably is just me, but I just thought I'd mention it in light of the other thread.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I'm just blowing smoke here, but maybe the reason people don't stick around here very long is that it seems like, no matter what the thread, there is always someone wanting to add their own little piece of criticism, even on a lighthearted thread such as this one.

Does it not strike anyone else as incredibly pretentious when someone posts a thread just to mention a funny comment and then gets backhandedly criticized for not handing out enough technical fouls?

Probably is just me, but I just thought I'd mention it in light of the other thread.
I have learned to enjoy the posts I want to and ignore the posts I don't want to enjoy. In this case, just ignore the one criticizing you and enjoy the others. It's not that big of a deal - the people who have "left" the forum just never learned to get past that.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You may think that your comment was lighthearted. The person that you made it to might disagree with you completely. If you want to run that risk...especially in a rec league...hey, so be it.

Good luck.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:26pm
Ch1town

Quote:
I guess this was directed towards me. I apologize as I don't want to be the cause of people leaving

That being said, I just wonder anytime I see a member of the fraternity posting words:
- first game of the season
- jawing at me the whole game
- description of officials negative facial expressions
- back & forth verbal exchanges between player & official

Just wanted to know what was done about it. My bad, I'll let you manage your games your way without comments in the future.

Sucks for the official that works behind you & has to hear "last week the officials let us jaw at them throughout the whole game".
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess this was directed towards me. I apologize as I don't want to be the cause of people leaving

That being said, I just wonder anytime I see a member of the fraternity posting words:
- first game of the season
- jawing at me the whole game
- description of officials negative facial expressions
- back & forth verbal exchanges between player & official

Just wanted to know what was done about it. My bad, I'll let you manage your games your way without comments in the future.

Sucks for the official that works behind you & has to hear "last week the officials let us jaw at them throughout the whole game".
You handle yourself however you please. I'm just making the point that perhaps the reason some people find this board caustic is because they feel like they can't post anything without someone jumping down their throat with a "sounds like you should have...."

If you really just wanted to ask an innocent question about what was done about it, you would have. You chose instead to criticize.