The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
SIDE NOTE: Hey Rut, the Indiana director of officials was a guest speaker at our Washington Officials Association conference back in early August. He said that bass fishing is going to be an officially sanctioned HS sport there in Indiana. Are you going to officiate?
Well in Illinois, we have Bass Fishing this year.

No I will not be Bass Fishing. I do not think they will have that in the suburbs. I could be wrong, but just a guess.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Well in Illinois, we have Bass Fishing this year.

No I will not be Bass Fishing. I do not think they will have that in the suburbs. I could be wrong, but just a guess.

Peace
You would be surprised how many of those subdivision ponds have bass in them.

Better start measuring your pole to see if it's regulation length.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 02:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
You would be surprised how many of those subdivision ponds have bass in them.

Better start measuring your pole to see if it's regulation length.
I may have to order that particular rule book. I sounds impossible to officiate.
I've done some harm on the Mississippi [near Moline] with a 7'-6" graphite flippin' stick.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 07:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Competition For Mark Padgett ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrow
One of my last posts involved the dog that ran out onto the court and bit A1 on a breakaway layup. I asked if I were correct in calling a foul on the dog and giving A1 two shots and the ball? Several members "bit" on that tale my reputation suffered. Then when an Official posted that his car struck a deer on the way the way to a game. I started a new post saying that I had a flat tire on the way to the Officials' Mascarade Party. I was dressed as a deer and when I was changing the tire some nut ran me over!
This is a very funny post, possibly as funny, or funnier, than anything posted by Mr. Humor himself, Mark Padgett. Please keep posting.

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing". (Mark Twain)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Sep 12, 2008, 09:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Am I the only one that is noticing that all the veterans seem to be leaving this place? Where is JR, Dan, Mark, Juulie, and many others I could name just do not seem to be around anymore. This place is turning in the NF website where you only see a new post every couple of weeks. Is this just the off season or are people getting tired of the direction of this site?

I know a couple of people got into with certain people and left, but this is getting ridiculous.

Peace

Rut:

I am here. It is just a busy time of the school year right now. Mark, Jr. started college this last Tuesday; Andy is playing for the H.S. golf team; my wife and I are in charge of the concessions stand at all football games; and there is falls baseball and softball games to umpire.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, cheering on to victory the Youngstown State University Penguins (Boy did they play terrible last Saturday against South Dakota State Univ.; by the way how are the Leatherneckd doing?) and The Ohio State University football teams.

I am sure once the basketball season gets under way we will have some lively discussions.

Boy, I can't wait until Nov. 22nd.

Have a good football officiating season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 12:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

He'll Be Here All Week Folks. Enjoy The Buffet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
In the lifers' section of the prison, all the inmates had been there for years. One night after lights-out, one of the prisoners yelled out "22!" There was some quiet chuckling in various cells. Then a different voice yelled out, "54!" Again, there was some laughter in the darkness.
One inmate, who had only been in this prison for a couple months, asked his cellmate, "What's with the numbers?" His cellmate said, "We been here so long, we've heard each others' jokes 1,000 times. So instead of telling the whole joke, they just say the number of the joke, and the other guys remember it."Just then, another voice in the darkness yelled out, "317!" There was silence for a second, and then the cell block erupted with laughter.
The new inmate again turned to his cellmate: "What was that all about?" His cellmate answered, "We'd never heard that one before!"
Off topic. This post belongs in the Old Joke Forum.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget to tip your waitress.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Remember Where I Was And What I Was Doing At 10:24 p.m. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
I also think a lot of people are starting to realize the power of google and the ease in forwarding links and e-mails so in the ever more competitive "avocation" of basketball, I think some are more cautious with their online writings and persona.
Monday, November 6, 2006. The day the music died, a day that will live in infamy:

From ChuckElias: "After talking about this with some friends from the board and some other officials, I've decided to stop contributing to the forum. As Mick alluded to in the baseball thread, I was hired by a couple of D1 conferences (although I didn't recieve any assignments from one of them). Although it's not very likely, I don't want any of my comments to be misconstrued and then passed on to an assignor".

Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Off topic.
Disagree. We were discussing inside jokes. My comments were directly on that topic.

Quote:
This post belongs in the Old Joke Forum.
True enough. Maybe I'll go add it over there, if people dare to venture to the General Forum these days.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I the only one that is noticing that all the veterans seem to be leaving this place? Where is JR, Dan, Mark, Juulie, and many others I could name just do not seem to be around anymore. This place is turning in the NF website where you only see a new post every couple of weeks. Is this just the off season or are people getting tired of the direction of this site?

I know a couple of people got into with certain people and left, but this is getting ridiculous.

Peace

I was kind of wondering where Juulie, Tanner, Chuck, and lots of the regulars have been, too. I'll bet they'll be back as it gets closer to season. I sure hope so!
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He Makes Tens Of Dollars A Year Doing Standup Comedy ...

Quote:
Maybe I'll go add it over there, if people dare to venture to the General Forum these days.
Please don't twist my words. I said that it belongs in the Old Joke Forum, not that it should go there. Please don't subject any more internet surfers to this "joke".

Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

ChuckElias, R.I.P. (Except For the Annual Off Topic Baseball Post)

Quote:
Disagree.
Scrapper1: Why would you criticize me immediately after my memorable tribute to ChuckElias. Couldn't you have at least waited a respectful number of posts before attacking me. Have you no compassion for our dearly departed Forum member? I wish you had left the Forum instead of ChuckElias.

But then again, you came to the Forum after ChuckElias, so you really didn't get to know him. I'll apologize to you if you promise to search the Forum archives and read his old threads and posts, so you'll understand why we miss him so much.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 15, 2008 at 09:33pm.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck who?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 07:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Scrapper1: Why would you criticize me immediately after my memorable tribute to ChuckElias. Couldn't you have at least waited a respectful number of posts before attacking me. Have you no compassion for our dearly departed Forum member? I wish you had left the Forum instead of ChuckElias.

But then again, you came to the Forum after ChuckElias, so you really didn't get to know him. I'll apologize to you if you promise to search the Forum archives and read his old threads and posts, so you'll understand why we miss him so much.
It's your lucky day, Billy.....

Sotheby's is currently auctioning off a certified, genuine, autographed, lightly skid-marked jock strap...size XXXXXS..... guaranteed to have been worn by your hero, Chuck Elias. It can be yours for the reasonable price of $6845.38... freight, insurance and handling extra.

Just think....your very own Chuck Elias(tm) jock strap! T'is to swoon. You could keep it under your pillow and pull it out in those darkest hours of the night when you miss him the most.

Note that Sotheby's is also auctioning off a certified, life-size, three foot-two inch tall Chuck Elias idol, carved out of genuine Eritrean marble. It comes complete with a hand-knitted Chuck Elias prayer mat. The cost is a below-market $11,245.99, well under what similar idols are currently going for on E-bay.

Please PM me for the details, Billy. I wouldn't want to post them....the mad rush to purchase the Elias icons would be on.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Well, I won't be back much if at all. I got tired of the unwillingness of many (by no means all) to have civil disagreements. I got tired of being called names. And I don't see any reason to subject myself to the possibility of more abuse.

Do I miss it? Well, yea, a little, sometimes. But then I check in and see the same tired old jokes and the same OT stuff, and I just e-mail the personal friends, and skip the rest.

It's too bad, but, oh well. Life goes on.

I hope you're going to reconsider this decision. Without the voices of reason we have had for years, the baboons take over.