The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

All right I can't resist the urge any longer....I loved the monthly disney comic books and subscribed to them, occasionally buying the special ones that only came out bi-monthly or quarterly. Green Lantern was my favoirtie super hero followed by Aqua Man. I also enjoyed Thor and his hammer. I can still remember going to the theater in Solvang, Calif. and seeing some of the three stooges movies with my friends. And then the thrill of buying the newest Tom Swift, Hardy Boys or Rick Brandt book.
Should I push it?????Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or..... All right, All Right, I knew I should not have joined in. I will go back to the corner and be quiet.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 01:12am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or.....
Sure. Tom Terrific and Mighty Dog Manfred. Tom's hat was an inverted coronet and he would take it off and play it. Mr. Wizard was on NBC and his name was Don Herbert. Crusador Rabbit's pal was Rags the tiger.

I watched Howdy Doody every day on NBC. His sister was Judy Doody. His best friend was Dilly Dally and there was a weird animal named Flub-A-Dub. The villian (and mayor of Doodyville) was Phineas T. Bluster.

Live characters included the host, Buffalo Bob Smith, Chief Thunderthud, Princess Summerfallwinterspring and, of course, Clarabell the Clown - played by Willard Scott!

Wonder Bread ("Helps build strong bodies 8 ways" - later changed to "12 ways") and Hostess Cupcakes were the sponsors and the kids sat in the Peanut Gallery.

Did you watch Rootie Kazootie with Polka Dottie and Galapoochie Pup? Or how about Winky Dink - the first interactive television program, hosted by Jack Barry?

You want any more? Bring it on.

As my long-suffering wife says - my head is filled with crap.

No comment, Juulie.

Hey - didn't this used to be a basketball board or something?
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 04:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[BI also enjoyed Thor and his hammer. [/B]
"Are you Thor?"
"Thertainly!!"

"Pluck your magic twanger,Froggy!!" (for Mark)

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 3rd, 2002 at 04:51 AM]
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Thank you gentlemen for making my day. Even though it is Friday and I will have 3 days off, I was feeling sort of old (my 59th b'day is this month). I remember all of these programs you are talking about, even though I don't remember all of the specifics. I especially remember buying comics for a dime when I was a kid. Some of the super-duper ones cost a quarter. My brother, sister, and I were allowed to buy only 1 a week and we all 3 tried to buy different ones so we would have "3" to read all week. Took a lot of arm twisting to keep my sister from buying the "romantic" type of comics. Those were some really good days. Thanks.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 07:16am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I especially remember buying comics for a dime when I was a kid.
Blackhawk.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Two words--Sylvester & Tweety.Man,I hated that damn,smarta$$ canary.
I was never a big fan of the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons. But I love the story from the very earliest cartoons of them. Originally, Tweety was drawn without feathers. He wasn't yellow, just flesh colored. Then one of the cats in a cartoon said the line "There goes the naked genius now!" The Board of Standards (or whoever was in charge of that sort of thing) finally realized how Tweety was drawn and demanded that he be "dressed" somehow. So the animators simply put colored him yellow, making him look feathered. I just think it's hysterical that a bunch of middle-aged white guys in California could get worked up over a featherless bird in a cartoon.

Chuck
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:41am
Esteemed Participant

OK...I grew up in a small town in Alaska, and never saw Howdy Doody, or any of those shows...BUT - we did have a local show called Mother Moose - she was a puppet and she had a bunch of puppet friends, and they showed all the cartoons there...bet none of you have ever heard of The Mother Moose Show...the theme song was
"It's Mother Moose, she's on the loose.
There are some things in the north woods.
The Northern Lights, the eyes delight..."

Dang, that's all I can remember!! Getting old!
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I watched Howdy Doody every day on NBC.
I have a Howdy Doody doll, and a Howdy Doody record.

"Laugh and be happy.
And to be happy,
Here's all you have to know,
Just begin to wiggle
and to giggle and to go
Ha,haha, haha.
Ho, hoho,hoho."
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

"If you think you use your feet
when you cross the street,
Here's a surprise....
Cuz you pal Howdy knows
if you had fifty toes...
You still cross the street with your eyes...."
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 02:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[BI also enjoyed Thor and his hammer.
"Are you Thor?"
"Thertainly!!"

"Pluck your magic twanger,Froggy!!" (for Mark)

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on May 3rd, 2002 at 04:51 AM] [/B]
Capn' Andy (Andy Devine - the same guy who played Jingles in the Wild Bill Hickok series) called for Froggy the Gremlin and his magic twanger (how Freudian) on the old Buster Brown show. "I'm Buster Brown, I live in a shoe. That's my dog Tige, he lives there too." Devine was the second host of the show. The first was "Smilin'" Ed McConnell (or O'Connell - I can't remember which), who started on the show in radio and did the first year on TV. Buster Brown was played by some guy who also was one of the munchkins in the Wizard of Oz movie (the story of Oz Ref?). The Buster Brown character was created by the famous cartoonist, R.F. Outcault, who is also credited with creating the first comic strip ever, "The Yeller Kid", a blatantly racist anti-Asian character, for the old New York World.

As for Thor - here's an old joke. I apologize if it offends anyone.

The morning after a huge orgy in Asgaard, home of the Norse gods, one guy finally wakes up. He looks around, beats his chest and declares, "I'm Thor."

A girl next to him looks up and says, "You're thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith."
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[B]
Quote:
Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or.....
Sure. Tom Terrific and Mighty Dog Manfred. Tom's hat was an inverted coronet and he would take it off and play it. Mr. Wizard was on NBC and his name was Don Herbert. Crusador Rabbit's pal was Rags the tiger.

The wizard I was talking about was on Tom Terrific, there was a kid who was never happy with who he was and so the wizard would turn him into another person or animal and the kid would always end up begging to be changed back. The wizard would chant some cute phrase and then always end it with "time to change this one back". Ring any bells?

I guess working three man for the first time and then comnig home to read this brought back a lot of things I had forgotten.

By the by, for those listening I went to a summer league here in Seattle last night and did my first three man. I am sure it must have looked hilarious to others as I attempted to adapt but I loved it. I can not wait to do some more and learn it better in camp this summer. (Had some great officials to work with and be taught by.)

Old Fri May 03, 2002, 05:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Anyone remember Tom Terrific and Mr. Wizard or Crusador Rabbit or Howdy Doody or..... The wizard I was talking about was on Tom Terrific, there was a kid who was never happy with who he was and so the wizard would turn him into another person or animal and the kid would always end up begging to be changed back. The wizard would chant some cute phrase and then always end it with "time to change this one back". Ring any bells?
Yeah, there was a wizard on Tom Terrific as you describe. However Mr. Wizard was a live show that was about teaching kids science. Don Herbert would be in his house and a neighbor kid (usually someone named Bobby or Susie) would come to visit (I'm not sure that would work in today's atmosphere) and ask some question about science. Mr. Wizard would then have them help him conduct some simple experiment using household items, such as milk bottles, balloons and a particle accelerator (just kidding).

Don't discount the importance of Winky Dink - the first interactive television show. You could buy a static clinging piece of plastic to cover your TV screen. It came with crayons. Winky, who was animated, would get into a predicament and then you would have to draw on the plastic to help him. For instance, he would fall down a manhole and you would have to draw a ladder for him. They would have a dotted line in the cartoon to show you where to draw. I always would do something like draw a cover on the manhole instead, just to trap him. One day, he fell out of an airplane and you were supposed to draw a parachute. I drew an anvil to make him crash quicker. My sister started crying because she thought I was trying to kill Winky Dink.

They had to stop because too many kids were drawing directly on their TVs. The show had a live host, Jack Barry, who went on to host Tic Tac Dough and Twenty-One (not two-one ) Barry was later fired in the quiz show scandals. See the movie "Quiz Show" for his story.

Geez, this takes me back. I have a friend named Ed Winkler and we call him Winky. He is too young to have seen the show and has no idea who Winky Dink was. He has looked up some stuff on the net, but it's not the same as a real memory.