The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rec league rules quiz (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4802-rec-league-rules-quiz.html)

Mark Padgett Wed May 01, 2002 12:21am

Since the board is so slow, I thought I'd post this. It's a rules quiz our rec league gives to all coaches at our coaches meeting prior to the season starting. I administer it, and then give them the answers. It's worth the price of admission to see their faces when they realize how many they get wrong. Here it is: (BTW - TBA means Tigard Basketball Assn.)

Answer true or false to each question. All questions pertain to rules of the National Federation of State High School Associations and are standard High School rules as played in TBA. In all questions, team A is on offense and team B is on defense.

_____ 1) A1 passes to A2 who does not catch the ball cleanly. The ball hits his hands and then it drops to the floor. A2 then grabs the ball and begins to dribble. This is a violation on A2.

_____ 2) A1 is inbounding in his front court. He inbounds to A2 who is also in frontcourt. The inbound pass hits A2 in the hand, deflects into backcourt where it is first touched by A2. This is a violation on A2.

_____ 3) A1 is dribbling in the backcourt. As he approaches the division line, he dribbles the ball once in the frontcourt and steps into the frontcourt with one foot. He then touches that same foot in the backcourt. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 4) A1 dives for a loose ball and while on the floor, grabs the ball with both hands. His momentum causes him to roll over twice. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 5) A1 attempts to shoot a jump shot. B1 blocks the shot by putting his hand directly on the ball. A1 is unable to release the shot and returns to the floor holding the ball by himself. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 6) A1 shoots toward his basket. The ball misses and does not hit either the rim or the backboard. Before the ball hits the floor, it is caught by A1. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 7) Team A has used all its timeouts. During a dead ball, A1 requests a timeout. Team A is not allowed this timeout.

_____8) A1 is fouled and appears to be injured. The official beckons Coach A onto the court to attend to A1. However, before the coach can come onto the floor, A1 gets up and says he can continue. A1 is allowed to stay in the game at that point.

_____9) A1 is dribbling the ball. B1 goes up to A1 and, while making an attempt to play the ball, he pushes A1 off the court and into the bleachers. This is a common personal foul on B1.

_____10) A1 is at the free throw line to shoot the first shot of a two-shot foul. B1 and B2 are occupying the first space next to the endline on each side of the lane, but B3 is in one of the next spaces instead of a player from Team A. A1 misses the free throw. This is a violation by Team B and A1 will be allowed to reshoot the free throw.

_____11) A1 is dribbling the ball in his backcourt following a throw-in. The official reaches seven seconds in his ten second count. A1 requests and is granted a timeout. When Team A inbounds following the timeout, they will have three seconds to get the ball into frontcourt.

_____12) There is a jump ball called and Team A will inbound under the alternating possession rule. A1 throws the ball inbounds and before it is touched by anyone on the court, A2 fouls B1. The AP arrow is switched to Team B’s direction for the next alternating possession.

_____ 13) Following a made basket by Team B, A1 will inbound on the endline. Prior to throwing the ball in, A1 asks for a timeout and it is granted. When Team A comes back to inbound the ball, they have lost the right to run the endline on the inbound play and there will be a spot throw-in instead.

_____ 14) While shooting a two-point shot, A1 is intentionally fouled by B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 will be awarded one free throw, then Team A will get possession of the ball for a throw-in.

_____ 15) A1 attempts a shot. Prior to his leaving the floor, B1 establishes and maintains legal guarding position. A1 releases the ball toward the basket, then falls on B1. The shot goes in the basket. The basket counts and A1 is charged with an offensive foul.

_____ 16) During the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, immediately following a basket by A1, Team B requests and is granted a timeout. After the timeout, Team B may, at their option, inbound the ball at the midcourt line.

_____ 17) A1 is standing in the frontcourt with his feet inside the lane. After two seconds, A2 takes a shot and the ball rebounds to A3. Two seconds later, A3 takes a shot. A1 has been in the lane a total of 4 seconds. This is a violation on Team A.

_____ 18) A1 is dribbling the ball with his right hand and has his left forearm extended to protect the ball. B1 attempts to swipe at the ball and makes contact with A1’s extended forearm. This is a foul on B1.

_____ 19) A1 is dribbling the ball. The ball bounces high and he dribbles once with his hand higher than his shoulder. This is a violation on A1.

_____ 20) Following a violation by Team B, A1 is inbounding on a spot throw-in. While holding the ball, he begins to pivot on his left foot. He then changes and pivots on his right foot. This is a violation on A1.

copyright 2002 Padgett Associates, Inc.
may not be used without expressed written permission

mick Wed May 01, 2002 06:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Since the board is so slow, I thought I'd post this. It's a rules quiz our rec league gives to all coaches at our coaches meeting prior to the season starting. I administer it, and then give them the answers. It's worth the price of admission to see their faces when they realize how many they get wrong.
Mark,
Good test.
Are you ever surprised by improbable high scores?
mick

ChuckElias Wed May 01, 2002 07:46am

What I want to know is whether you got the expressed written permission from Padgett Associates before posting it here! :)

Chuck

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 08:12am

answers please.

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 08:42am

F-F-F-T-T-F-T-F-T-F-F-T-F-T-F-F-F-F-F-F How is this? Or we need to argue the technicalities?

Dan_ref Wed May 01, 2002 09:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett

copyright 2002 Padgett Associates, Inc.
may not be used without expressed written permission

Finally I Finished Flailing and Formed Finite Formulations
and Found a deFinite pattern who's Function might be to
inForm the Folks that they are Frankly Finite in their
understanding of the Fundementals. Far-out.
(Hey, I got through that without saying f***!) :D

BTW, I believe you owe Tony $5 for #6. ;)

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 09:23am

OK,OK, Someone had to display their fallibility. Although in #5, A1 came down with the ball by himself. Isn't there a difference with that and A1 and B1 both having contact with the ball when coming down? I've got more questions but someone else will probably pipe up.

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 09:27am

No, no difference. This is a jump ball.

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 09:36am

OK, thanks. #7 Do officials have to allow the time out if they know the team doesn't have any left. The discussion on this board has been fairly emphatic that teams only request time outs and that the officials grant them. Are we then just talking about when the clock stops?

mick Wed May 01, 2002 10:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan
OK, thanks. #7 Do officials have to allow the time out if they know the team doesn't have any left. The discussion on this board has been fairly emphatic that teams only request time outs and that the officials grant them. Are we then just talking about when the clock stops?
Stan,
Yes, if properly requested, the time-out is granted.
Cost of time-out = One T, 2 Throws, Defend a throw-in.
mick

Bart Tyson Wed May 01, 2002 10:45am

Hold on thereeee. Not necessarily. Example 1) A1 gets trapped; coach" TO", A1 throws ball to A2 before the official can blow the whistle. A2 has control, no pressure. I might ask the coach" you still want the TO? coach "No".
example 2) Official has the ball and getting ready for a throwin; coach,"TO", asst. or table say. "coach, you are out of TO's", coach, " I don't want the TO". Ok no problem we continue with the throwin. This is two examples, i sure we can think of more. My point is, just asking for a TO doesn't mean you have to grant it.

Stan Wed May 01, 2002 10:57am

I'll just plead my case on all them:

#4 Is rolling different than sliding?

#9 Are we talking about degree of contact, he was attempting to play the ball.

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?

#14 Let me quess, he should get 2 shots due to the T from the intentional foul.

Hey,Thanks for the quiz and the replies. Good thread for me.

mick Wed May 01, 2002 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Hold on thereeee. Not necessarily. Example 1) A1 gets trapped; coach" TO", A1 throws ball to A2 before the official can blow the whistle. A2 has control, no pressure. I might ask the coach" you still want the TO? coach "No".
example 2) Official has the ball and getting ready for a throwin; coach,"TO", asst. or table say. "coach, you are out of TO's", coach, " I don't want the TO". Ok no problem we continue with the throwin. This is two examples, i sure we can think of more. My point is, just asking for a TO doesn't mean you have to grant it.

Bart,
I would use R5-12-2 Time-outs in excess...may be requested and <b>shall be granted</b>....
By which rule would you <u>not grant</u> the time-out?
If Coach wants one. He's getting it. I will not be his assistant.
mick

ChuckElias Wed May 01, 2002 11:12am

Quote:

#4 Is rolling different than sliding?
No, for the purposes of this question, they are the same. However, the rolling is not the important part of the question. The important part is the "momentum". The roll was caused by his momentum from the dive and it was not part of an attempt to withhold the ball from an opponent.

Quote:

#9 Are we talking about degree of contact, he was attempting to play the ball.
Yes, if contact is excessive (even while attempting to play the ball) then the foul is judged to be an intentional foul. Two shots and possession.

Quote:

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The arrow is changed when the throw-in ends or the throwing team violates. The throw-in didn't end in this case b/c of the foul. So no change in the arrow.

Quote:

#14 Let me quess, he should get 2 shots due to the T from the intentional foul.
There's no T, just the intentional. But the penalty for an intentional is always 2 shots (unless it occurs during a 3-point try), even if the basket is good. So you score the hoop, give 2 FTs and award possession at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.

Hope that helps!!

Chuck

mick Wed May 01, 2002 11:14am

Quote:

I'll just plead my case on all them:

#4 Is rolling different than sliding? <font color = red> It remains momentum. </font>

#9 Are we talking about degree of contact, he was attempting to play the ball.<font color = red>YU.P. </font>

#12 Doesn't the arrow change when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder or is this a bounus FT question?<font color = red> They wasted their possession on a foul.</font>

#14 Let me quess, he should get 2 shots due to the T from the intentional foul.<font color = red> YU.P. </font>

Hey,Thanks for the quiz and the replies. Good thread for me.