The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 02, 2002, 12:33pm
9 times

I am curious about people's camp plans. Not so much where you are going as to why you choose the camps that you do? Does everyone here choose camps with an end in mind or do you just go to camp because you are told to go to camp?

I always have an end in mind when I choose camps. It doesn't always work out for me, but usually I get what I wanted out of the camps that I have chosen. My reasons have been as simple as getting better and learning, but lots of times they are for networking or assessing the talent level of the refs from other states who I compete with for college roster spots. I have also gone to camps just to meet specific people who have helped my career in HS and college.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ripian
My Camps this year

I'll be attending 3 camps this year.

The Infosport Camp in Altamonte Springs, since I'll be on vacation in Orlando anyways at the end of May.

The Canada West Official's camp in Edmonton, Alberta in June and the Make the Call camp in Calgary in July. These 2 are essentially local camps hosted by some of the best official's in Canada.

The Edmonton camp is being used as a scouting camp for the Canada West Univeristy's Official Panel. So it should be an enlightening experience.

Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:50am
Esteemed Participant

Are either one of the Camps in Canada being run by Bill Crowley???
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ripian
Crowley

Yes the Edmonton Camp is run by Crowley, the Calgary Camp is run by John Wieland.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:35am
Esteemed Participant

Bill's a great guy...I work with him at the NCAA level here in the States...if you haven't met him yet, you will like him. Very friendly, and really knows his stuff...
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to three camps as well this summer: an NAIA camp, OVC/Atlantic Sun, and Coast 2 Coast.

My primary purpose is to learn as much as I can from people at those levels. I also want their evaluation of my abilities to really find out where I am and what my potential is. This is my first really big camp year, I went to Al Raya's D3 camp in Illinois last year and a local HS camp. I went to Al's camp to learn and learned alot, it is a really good instructional camp and really good for a first time camp if you live in that area. The HS camp I went to wasn't all that great, but I had to do it to satisfy local requirements.

I am really looking forward to what I am going to learn and bringing it back for next season. And who knows, if I'm lucky I might get a few assignments out of the deal.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have been to one camp a few years ago in Denver by Al Larsen which I really gained a lot from. Due to work and relocations I have been unable to go since then. However now that I am settled in Seattle and can get back into officiating I am going to two camps, a two man high school by SOWB, (womens basket ball) and a junior college camp with three man in central washington. I talked to a few officials that I feel do a great job and exemplify the way I want to be and asked their advice about camps and myself, then followed it.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 05:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Staying local

I am staying local. Have not really seen the point yet to go way out of state or way out of the area to go to camps. There are enough High School/College camps around here to attend that at this moment I am staying home.

I will be attending Harry Bohn and Tom O'Neil's "Chicagoland Basketball Officials Camp." Harry Bohn is a D3 College assignor and Tom O'Neil assigns aHS conference in the southern suburbs of the Chicago area.

Other than that I will be attending some Chicago area camps that deal mainly with HS ball.

Do not see the need to dish out the big cash and fly all over the country to do a camp yet. Maybe in the next few years, but not right now.

Peace
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: My Camps this year

Quote:
Originally posted by ripian
I'll be attending 3 camps this year.

The Infosport Camp in Altamonte Springs, since I'll be on vacation in Orlando anyways at the end of May.
refer to the post about this camp. if it is convenient for you that is cool but do not go out of your way to attend this camp.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I'm with Rut. I am staying local for my camp this year. Fortunitly, my local chapter is hosting a camp, so that is what I am attending. The reason. 1) new job. I started a new job last October so I have not accumulated enough vacation time to warrent traveling to a camp. 2) I still need to establish myself locally as a good official. I know the guy's I work with like what they see but not all in the assigning process have seen me work. This will be a chance to do that. 3) Like I mentioned in another thread, I still need to learn how to call ball the Texas way. Hopefully, I can get some good feedback on what I am doing and what I need to change from this camp.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

My post should have read Al English in Denver not Larsen.
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb BTW, I forgot this information.

Tommy O'Neil is a D1 Official too. He works in the Big 12, Big 10, Conference USA, Mountain West, Western Atlantic, Sun Belt and Missouri Valley Conferences.

And for those that do not know, he was on of the officials doing the game that Teddy Valentine and Bobby Knight got into that infamous confrontation at Indiana a few years ago.

And he is the Basketball Coordinator of Gerry Davis Sports, which is more famous for its Baseball gear.

I do not necessarily expect to get games from this, but it will give me a chance to be seen. Who knows what will happen.

Peace
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 03:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Who knows what will happen.

The Shadow knows!!!
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Was that not from a movie?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

The Shadow knows!!!
What movie did that come from?

Old Sat May 04, 2002, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Re: Was that not from a movie?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

The Shadow knows!!!
What movie did that come from?

Rut,it actually came from an old radio show-btv(before television).Mark Padgett would recognize it,but anyone younger than dirt sure wouldn't.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of man?The Shadow knows!!"----Lamont Cranston(aka-The Shadow).