The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Timing questions:

I've heard so many different opinions on handling timing errors. The casebook is only clear in a few situations.

A1 inbounds to A2. Clock does not start.
At what point, do you blow the whistle and correct the situation.

1 sec? (give the timer some reaction time to start it. Could be a long night with a bad timer)
2 sec?

Does your answer change depending on the score and time in the game. Close game late in the 4th quarter.

Same situation as before but there is a loose ball, no team control?
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 05:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
I've heard so many different opinions on handling timing errors. The casebook is only clear in a few situations.

A1 inbounds to A2. Clock does not start.
At what point, do you blow the whistle and correct the situation.

1 sec? (give the timer some reaction time to start it. Could be a long night with a bad timer)
2 sec?

Does your answer change depending on the score and time in the game. Close game late in the 4th quarter.

Same situation as before but there is a loose ball, no team control?
Depends on how well I know the table crew.

I've had some table crews where I don't worry about them at all - they can handle *everything*, including coaches that bug them.

If I think the timer is inexperienced, I remind him/her that if they start it when my arm comes down, then it can never be his fault, and if there is a problem, such as the coaches being angry, it is always "our" fault.

If it is a close game, I go to the table during a TO or a FT where there is around 3 minutes left, and remind them that if anything will cause problems, it is the time not stopping or starting at the right time. I also might say that at times like these (close games), the people that keep the glue together at the end of the game are "you guys". I think it's true, too.

If the timer's ability is sketchy, then I give him/her a second, then yell to start the clock, then if after a couple it's still not going, I blow it dead and take a few seconds off. I try, when possible, to blow the play dead when A, on a full-court dribble, has the ball such that the ensuing throw-in will not be on the endline. That way A feels that they did obtain some real estate at the cost of the time coming off the clock.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 05:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is there to know? If you do not know how much time ran off or did not run off, you cannot correct what you do not know. You only can correct what you know and at the first time you know it. Best advice I can give is to pay close attention to the clock when it is suppose to start and stop and you can avoid these situations. And you can also use your visible counts to help judge how much time should have run off or not run off.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
If the timer's ability is sketchy, then I give him/her a second, then yell to start the clock, then if after a couple it's still not going, I blow it dead and take a few seconds off.
I'll do something similar, but from the moment I notice the clock hasn't started properly, I'll keep a time count in my head, not a visible count, but just in my head, in case I need to take some time off the clock when I finally give up on the table crew and blow it dead. I'll then have some definite knowledge.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 08:13pm.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2008, 07:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I'll do something similar, but from the moment I notice the clock hasn't started properly, I'll keep a second count in my head, not a visible count, but just in my head, in case I need to take some time off the clock when I finally give up on the table crew and blow it dead. I'll then have some definite knowledge.
Yes - for times when you don't normally have definite knowledge. I've done this before, but always with a visible count, as proof if a coached needed it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 08:42am
MABO Member

This is a great philosophy that I follow as well. I also add as a joke, depending on the crew and game atmosphere, I don't mind if they forget to stop the clock now and then but never, never forget to start it! This tends to reduce the fear of making a mistake because they realize we can handle small mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Depends on how well I know the table crew.

I've had some table crews where I don't worry about them at all - they can handle *everything*, including coaches that bug them.

If I think the timer is inexperienced, I remind him/her that if they start it when my arm comes down, then it can never be his fault, and if there is a problem, such as the coaches being angry, it is always "our" fault.

If it is a close game, I go to the table during a TO or a FT where there is around 3 minutes left, and remind them that if anything will cause problems, it is the time not stopping or starting at the right time. I also might say that at times like these (close games), the people that keep the glue together at the end of the game are "you guys". I think it's true, too.

If the timer's ability is sketchy, then I give him/her a second, then yell to start the clock, then if after a couple it's still not going, I blow it dead and take a few seconds off. I try, when possible, to blow the play dead when A, on a full-court dribble, has the ball such that the ensuing throw-in will not be on the endline. That way A feels that they did obtain some real estate at the cost of the time coming off the clock.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.