The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Team A scores a basket. Team B takes the ball out of bounds for a throw in. B1 is unable to complete the throw so he asks for a time out to a void a 5 second violtion.

Can Team B run the end line on the subsequent throw in?

My understanding is that the subsequent throw in is not after a basket but after a requested time out. The thrown in should be from a designated spot on the endline.

This situation is different from a requested time out immediately after a basket when the
throw in procedure has not started. In that case, since the thrown in had not started and
either team could request a time out, Team B could still run the end line on the subsequent throw in.

I thing 6.5 page 44 in the Federation case book covers this matter.

Comment: Running the end line is a advantage given by rule after a basket not after a time out. Why penalize good defence and reward poor offence? B1 had an oppoertunity to run the endline and get the ball in play.
They lose that opportunity by calling a time out while Team B was in possession of the ball out of bounds. Rule 7:5

Right or Wrong??
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't have my casebook with me today so I can't really check it out. But here is my take. Since the throw in wasn't completed, when we come back from the T.O., we are still in the after the basket situation and therefore still have the baseline. Just as if the T.O. was called immediately after the made basket.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tim and I don't have rules/case book either. It makes no sense to disallow team B running the baseline just because of a timeout. TheRef - whats does that rule state ... are you quoting verbatim?
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think the key for understanding is the answer to the question: "Why is the ball out of bounds and in need of being put back in bounds?" In this situation, the ball is out of bounds because of a "goal" that had been scored. It is not out of bounds because of the time out that occured.

According to rule 7.5.7, "after a goal or awarded goal . . ., the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line."

I do not believe that the timeout (called by Team B in this instance, or by Team A in some other instance) causes them to lose the privilege of running the end line when the throw-in begins again following the timeout.

That's my 2 cents.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Right Rusty - good point.

And if after a made basket by A, B takes out then calls time out, they CANNOT run baseline when they come back from the TO.
THe ball is out of bounds now because of the Timeout not because of the basket that was made.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I mean B inbounds then calls timeout.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

See case 7.5.7B(d). Allow the team to run the end-line.