The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Question

This actually happened on one of my 3 person crews this season. The gym only had fan bleachers on the side opposite from the table. On the table side, there were folding metal chairs with padded seats and back and the scorers' table, which had padding along the top, sides and bottom. It also had breakaway plexi panels that move on impact. There was 4 feet from the side line to the out of bounds line.

There was a quadraplegic man (we found out later that he was the head coach's brother who was injured six years ago when he came home and found someone burgularizing his home) in a large motorized wheelchair sitting between the table and his team's bench. The front of his chair almost touched the sideline.

We were worried that one of the players and this man might be injured if there was contact. The player's parents might also want to sue us if there was a serious injury!

We asked the head coach if he could have this man sit in an alcove located at the end of the team's bench. The alsove contained doors which lead to the locker rooms. The assistant coach could still see the game and participate in coaching. The head coach complied without as much as a peep.

After the game, the paralyzed man and his parents tried to read us the riot act.

How would you have handled this?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Thumbs up

I think you handled the situation right and errored on the side of safety, our prime concern for the student athlete. You could have asked the mans family what they would have done if their child had dove for a loose ball and collided with a motorized chair? I know it sounds far fetched but sometimes the weirdest things happen.

I believe you done good.

------------------
Don
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. I've moved a fan in wheelchair on the opposite side of the court before, too. Also got a lot of argument, but the safety issue is paramount. I'm all for ADA and the rights of people with disabilities, but we still have to be safe and be reasonable. Good job!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 06:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Player safety is your number one concern. IANAL - but if you can reasonably accomodate the person in the wheelchair, you should be covered.

Last week I had a guy set up a folding "camp stool" on the endline so he could sit there and take pictures. Politely, I asked him to please move the stool into the corner. I told him I had no objection to the picture taking, but he couldn't have the chair where it was (about 3 feet to the side of the backboard and about 1 foot back from the endline).

He gave me a rash of crap, but moved the chair. After the game I was at the table getting set up for my next game and he came up to me, called me an ass**** twice and a dip**** once, then walked away. I just ignored him - but guess what?

Next week I have the same team in a rec game at a facility that is managed by a rec district that has a very close relationship with my association and is totally committed to sportsmanship and against any bad behavior by anyone. I know if I tell them what happened and ask them not to let him in the facility they will do it. Frankly, I'm very tempted.

Should I or not. Why don't you guys vote in your posts here?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I would report it. I think that officials take enough guff from coaches and parents. Coaches are active participants, but cannot get away with that kind of language. That language and that attitude have no place in the recreational environment, in which we are teaching kids a number of important life skills. Disrespect for and abuse of authority is not one, especially when the authorities are there to look out for the well being of the players.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Matthew
I would report it as well, and I would of given the coach a "T" on the spot.

And to another question, I would ask the assistant coach to move back.

------------------
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, I think you should let them know, but let them decide what action to take. If they want your input then an apology and make sure he understands everyones concern for safty not to mention possible law suits.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

thats funny. You think he learned a lesson?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Was the first situation at a rec league game also? If so, reporting to the rec league authorities would seem appropriate, without suggesting any particular penalty to them. If it was an organized interscholastic game, then you saw the guy in the rec situation, I'd consider it a separate issue and wait to see if the moron says anything again. If he does, I'd have him leave.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 02-14-2000 05:45 PM
Last week I had a guy set up a folding "camp stool" on the endline so he could sit there and take pictures. Politely, I asked him to please move the stool into the corner. I told him I had no objection to the picture taking, but he couldn't have the chair where it was (about 3 feet to the side of the backboard and about 1 foot back from the endline).

Believe it or not, I've ejected a photographer before. I'll work with photographers, as long as they stay out of the way. And 99% of them do.

This photographer decided that he could make some commentary on one of my calls. Next thing he knows, not only has he lost his priviledge to take photos on the baseline, he gets to take photos from the lobby.

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

If you have him kicked out, he will definately think twice about making vulgar comments. It may not stop him, but he will think about it. I do not tolerate any profane behavior from fans or parents. It degrades the game and can distract the players. Last week, my partner and I were reffing a varsity high school girls game. We encountered a male fan, probably a father of one of the players. He was ripping us and cussing at us everytime done the court. I went to put the ball in play after in was knocked out of bounds near him. I hand the ball to the thrower and he starts counting,"4, 5, 6, 7, hey bozo, how long are you going to let her stand in the key?" The next opportunity I had, I told him to decide to either zip it or leave. I told him to decide right now, not next year. There were four boys from the varsity team sitting in the first row near him. I knew them from a Summer league. I said to them, "Guys it wouldn't be so bad if he only knew the rules. He wants three seconds when the ball hasn't even been inbounded yet." They all started laughing and looked at this goober, "like what are you nuts?" I really felt sorry for his daughter. He embarrassed her. Any way my point is that we do not have to take the obscene or profane language and threats. If we don't make moves to stop it, it will continue.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Zebra -- Lot of fans don't know that rule. No 3 seconds on inbound. They also don't know if ball is being inbounded in front court and it goes backcourt you don't have backcourt violation. Was at Providence-Syracuse ganme and some Syracuse leather lunged fan was yelling for backcourt. I just laughed at him.