The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

WNBA fight (try again)

Let's see if we can try this again.

My observation is one that I haven't heard anyone mention, so maybe I'm wrong.

I believe that when coaches come on to the floor to stop a fight or prevent a possible fight, it is important that they grab or stop their own players and not the opposition. Bill Lambeir and Michael Cooper were stopping their players while Mahorn for some reason went to Lisa Leslie. IMHO, I think this just makes the situation worse than if he had stayed on the bench and not tried to be a peacemaker. In fact, I'm not convinced he was trying to be a peacemaker because of that very reason.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Suns' player get suspended for helping Nash off his butt... this coach better be suspended for more than 1 game. I realize it's a different league, but the W works under the NBA. Perception....
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I believe that when coaches come on to the floor to stop a fight or prevent a possible fight, it is important that they grab or stop their own players and not the opposition.
I would agree with this. Although, it didn't work out so well for Milton Bradley last year when his manager pulled him away from an umpire. Oops!!

Quote:
In fact, I'm not convinced he was trying to be a peacemaker because of that very reason.
I have no way of knowing his intentions. I don't know if there might be some kind of history between these teams or players on opposite sides. I would like to say that his actions showed poor judgment; but in these kinds of situations, he may not have been making any judgments at all, except "I gotta break this up".
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I believe that when coaches come on to the floor to stop a fight or prevent a possible fight, it is important that they grab or stop their own players and not the opposition.
I agree, except possibly when there's a situation in which their player is vulnerable and an opposing player is about to clobber them. However, that didn't appear to be the case in this situation. I think Mahorn was just flat out wrong.

For a minute, I thought I was watching the NBE.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all I think Mahorn did nothing wrong at all. WNBA Rules do not have the same requirements as the NBA as it relates to coming off the bench. So you are not going to have the same procedures. And the NBA owns the WNBA. The NBA does not run it from an administrative point of view. The WNBA has their own people that put in the rules and regulations and suspends their players differently.

Secondly, Mahorn is a huge man. He was breaking up the fight just like everyone else was and if a woman, even the size of Leslie is still going to bounce off of him. If the WNBA wants to be taken seriously, then they need to not allow gender perceptions to play a role in this. If you watch an NBA game, it is not unusual for assistant coaches to grab opposing players in a big fight.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 07:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Didn't He Invent The Game "Mouse Trap" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I would agree with this. Although, it didn't work out so well for Milton Bradley last year when his manager pulled him away from an umpire.
http://www.sportaphile.com/2007/09/2...uing-w-umpire/