The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw scenario / questions

Sorry for the less than direct title of this posting but this question needs a bit of set up. Here goes. (NFHS rules.)

In thinking about games I have refereed lately, I am noticing more players attempting to gain an advantage with respect to lining up on free throws.

Lining up scenario - with respect to rule 9-1-3-G

A1 is shooting a free throw and opponent B1 occupies the appropriate marked space closest to the basket.

Situation 1) B1 lines up at a 90 degree angle to the lane - in such a way that her backside (derriere) is pointing toward A2 (who occupies the adjoining marked space). B1's feet are on the floor and within the vertical planes of the marked space but her derriere is clearly extended into the adjoining space.

At this point, I don't think that B1 is committing any violation as there is no contact with A2 (so no need for any action on my part). But the plot thickens....

Situation 2) B1 does lines up the same way as described in Situation 1 except she lines up on the balls of her feet. B1's heels are off the ground and extend outside the plane of the marked space. There is no contact with an opponent.

By the rule, it appears that I should call this a violation and award a replacement free throw if the free throw try is unsuccessful. To me, this seems trifling but it may prevent future problems....

Situation 3) A2 now returns the favor and lines up at a 90 degree angle to the lane - in such a way that her derriere is touching B1's. Obviously, there is contact....

The common sense approach would seem to be just a quick word to the players to stay in their area and if they did not do so, call the appropriate violations as needed.

Thoughts please?

Thanks.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1 and 2, you're right. 1 is not a violation. 2 is, by rule, but it's never called. Reason? Who knows, probably because it really doesn't give her an advantage. Check with experienced refs in your area.

3. No violation here, either. Nothing says their a$$es need to stay within any vertical plane; and contact has nothing to do with a violation. There's no foul unless one player pushes the other with her rump.

You can ask them to stop, but there really isn't a rule basis for it.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 04:39am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

A player could just line up properly, then change their position to match your description once the ball is released. I doubt that the T or L (or C) can properly observe this violation.

I wouldn't be looking for mucous hanging off someone's nose.

Short of an obvious foul.......

Now if they get into a situation like what happened with the switch pitcher/switch hitter situation a few weeks back, then ya gotta do sumthin'.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Situation 3) Go to the girls and say, "Yep, your's is bigger." (Don't specify whose).

They will laugh, then stop.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

I always make sure their aura is within the lines, too.

Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Mark, you shouldn't be looking at their auras.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:47pm
Administrator

Hey, this is North America, speak English not French: Do no use derriere; use tuchus.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Mark, you shouldn't be looking at their auras.
Why not? They're pretty decent cars.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Switch Pitcher / Switch Hitter ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Now if they get into a situation like what happened with the switch pitcher/switch hitter situation a few weeks back, then ya gotta do sumthin'.
Are you referring to the situation involving farm teams of the Yankees and Mets, I believe in Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York, in which a switch pitcher and a switch hitter got into a back and forth duel? Some of my colleagues at work were discussing this. For those of you who umpire baseball, how was this handled? Who has to commit first, the pitcher, or the batter, and who is allowed to make a final adjustment?

And you are allowed to treat me as a fanboy for these questions, since it's now an official word in the dictionary.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
A bit long, but if you haven't see the incident for yourself here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkPbJV2dffI
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Are you referring to the situation involving farm teams of the Yankees and Mets, I believe in Brooklyn and Staten Island, New York, in which a switch pitcher and a switch hitter got into a back and forth duel? Some of my colleagues at work were discussing this. For those of you who umpire baseball, how was this handled? Who has to commit first, the pitcher, or the batter, and who is allowed to make a final adjustment?

And you are allowed to treat me as a fanboy for these questions, since it's now an official word in the dictionary.
Baseball (although I forget exactly who) has decided that the pitcher need declare first.