LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Coast to coast camp (vegas)

how was it and what goes on there?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Great camp. Very high caliber of play.

NBA slant - you work their mechanics as far as switches.

Work about 3 games per day, each are filmed for immediate breakdown with clinician - all of whom are NBA staff.

I really enjoyed the experience.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Great Camp! I highly recommend it.

The only downside is if you are a more experienced official then you will not get as much attention during on court training because there are a lot of less experienced officials (to my surprise) that go to this camp. I don't blame the clinicians because when I clinician I have to do the same thing. It is just how it works.

This will be one of the best camps you every go to! The classroom sessions are especially helpful. Get to the classroom early because they will sometimes have a NBA game (where one of the clinicians are officiating) playing on the big screen which they will be talking about.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

games played at

are all of the games played at just UNLV or many different locations?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

What level of play and did anyone get hired/offered an opportunity to ref in D-league?
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that this camp is even taking place this year.
I believe that in the past it was held as part of the big AAU tournament that takes place in Vegas each July. I also thought that it was centered at one of the HS gyms in southern Vegas near the airport. However, I can't say for sure as I have never attended that camp because I always work this same tournament for another guy.

The CCAA definitely runs its camp in the above described manner.

Perhaps tomegun has more info. BTW where is he? He hasn't posted for a while.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm not sure that this camp is even taking place this year.
I believe that in the past it was held as part of the big AAU tournament that takes place in Vegas each July. I also thought that it was centered at one of the HS gyms in southern Vegas near the airport. However, I can't say for sure as I have never attended that camp because I always work this same tournament for another guy.

The CCAA definitely runs its camp in the above described manner.

Perhaps tomegun has more info. BTW where is he? He hasn't posted for a while.
Close on the CCAA. They run the camp at many sites not just on gym. They have had as many as 16 courts in the past but have scaled down a little as there aren't as many teams anymore. Most of the staff worked games alongside the prospects tryingto get hired. Great level of play from all over the country.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 05:36pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagy0716
are all of the games played at just UNLV or many different locations?
None of the games are played at UNLV, they are run in conjunction with the Big Time tourney at a local HS near UNLV.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
None of the games are played at UNLV, they are run in conjunction with the Big Time tourney at a local HS near UNLV.
That was what I thought, but couldn't state with total certainty.

I do know that in the past the C-to-C camp has had a gym, the CCAA has had a couple of them, in addition to that there have been a couple of other camps that have been allotted gyms, plus there are the floor that the tournament organizers give to groups of refs who come in from a particular area such as Denver or Salt Lake.

I have always worked games aquired through the final method.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
What level of play and did anyone get hired/offered an opportunity to ref in D-league?
For people wondering what the level of play is at the Big Time tournament in Vegas, here are a couple of articles from a scouting organization on the first day of the event from two summers ago. You can see who was playing, but please note that you have to pay to attend one of the camps to get the games on the show courts. In this case the CCAA had the games at Foothill HS.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Day-One-1425/

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Day-Two-1427/

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...ay-Three-1428/

Lastly, I'm going to post this part of one of the stories because it makes some excellent observations.

The Two Faces of AAU Basketball
July 23, 2006
Jonathan Givony

The stereotypical side of AAU basketball was in full effect today, with teams that have absolutely no system, set plays or any kind of direction coming from their “coaching staff” on the sideliens. But even with how ugly certain star-studded teams looked at times today, there were two teams that showed us that not all AAU basketball has to be of the undisciplined one-upping playground variety.

The SoCal Allstars not only have arguably the most talented squad in Vegas, they also are probably the most well coached, led by former college coach Pat Barrett Their team has a distinct system and style of play that caters to it’s players strengths and always makes sure to get everyone involve. Very often they’ll spread the floor patiently and move the ball around endlessly looking for the best shot possible, encouraging its players to move off the ball, find the open man unselfishly, play great team defense, and actually run set plays in the half-court offense. Another example of this was Mike Mullins’ Illinois Wolves, who run a style of play very much reminiscent of many Big 10 conference teams. Their players enjoy great spacing, set excellent screens for each other, move off the ball endlessly and actually play for each other rather than strictly for themselves. The biggest difference between these two teams and almost every other team we saw in day one was the way their bench reacted to what was occurring on the floor. Rather than pout and moan about not being on the court, the players cheered each other on, celebrated every basket and were the first ones out to congratulate their teammates when play stopped. Instead of growling at the players and barking out incoherent insults when the teenagers mad a poor decision, we saw the coaches put an arm over their player’s shoulders and explain what they did wrong, which is what you would expect when dealing with players this young. When you begin to wonder where the me-first attitudes, complete lack of fundamentals and uncontrollable egos start in college and pro basketball, you can look no further than what we are seeing here in AAU basketball. If the majority of these “coaches” aren’t going to actually help their players improve on their weakness and teach them how to play winning basketball, then what is the point of holding these tournaments year round?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Here is the link if needed:

http://www.c2crefereeschool.com/
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

So is this the camp that you have to go to in order to get into the nba? If it isn't what camp is that?
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Bob Delany's I imagine would give you good exposure to that level.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 04:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
So is this the camp that you have to go to in order to get into the nba? If it isn't what camp is that?
There is no one single camp to get into the NBA. They are multiple camps that will give you NBA exposure. There are also college camps that can give you NBA exposure based on the supervisor(s) and/or observers who are there.