The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I didn't think they published box scores for the 4' and under leagues?
isn't the 4" and under league where the guys have to self-pwn?

Regardless of what type of league it is, call it both ways (metric?)
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
CaRef5,

I'm young like yourself. I'm 22 and officiate all levels except NAIA and D3. the guys make a good point about ppl making up whatever they want to and so some ppl might lie to u about what they ref. but just take it for what it is, the internet, and for the most part you can take ppl on here at their word if they ever decide to take your thread seriously and post their exp. which I doubt will happen. Good luck to you in your officiating endeavors.

Exactly. Take the term "Varsity", for example. There are people who say they work "Varsity" when, in reality, the have never worked an official HS "Varsity" game. The term is used very loosely....to refer to games with Varsity-aged players, rec games with players who have played on a "Varsity" teams, or even games that some rec. leagues call "Varsity" with no connection whatsoever with what most people consider to be "Varsity".

How do you know what a person has really worked? Hard to tell. However, when someone claims to have worked high level games and tends to throw around that info, chances are that they're being liberal with the description...worked a rec. league or summer game with a couple high-level players. Most people who really work legitimate college games don't go around advertising it all the time.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

OK so i started this thread HOPING some "officials" on this website could take it a bit seriously... obviously that didnt happen especially with the first few replies that were posted....

Anywho, for those who tried to take it seriously... thanks.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And how do we know that?

You could be a 73 year old, four foot two, 713 pound transexual canoe guide with two teeth that likes to play the banjo and hum the theme from Deliverance for all we know.
At least you got part of it right, JR.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5
OK so i started this thread HOPING some "officials" on this website could take it a bit seriously... obviously that didnt happen especially with the first few replies that were posted....

Don't worry about how old people are. That goes for here and for life. It's not important.

It also makes no matter what level you officiate. There are top, bottom and average officials at all levels.

Read the forum regularly. You'll soon know who you can learn from and who's full of crap. And don't think for one minute that you can dictate who others post. That's not up to you.

Good luck and welcome!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5
Just for the record, I took it as seriously as it deserved to be taken.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just for the record, I took it as seriously as it deserved to be taken.
Keep on hating.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Keep on hating.
Don't hate the player...
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I didn't think they published box scores for the 4' and under leagues?
Just for the record I met btaylor64 at camp a couple years ago when he was about 20 years old. He is a nice kid and he does work games that can easily be looked up on the internet. I also believe he never worked varsity HS ball. Not everyone follows the same path to success.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
713 lb canoe guide? I think I'll walk.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was great Snags!
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Really??? You are saying that you work D1, NBA, D-league, D2, and international (FIBA) ball, and sixth grade girls?
Well, first of all if you work for the NBA, you more often than not work in either the NBA or the NBA D-League. Only guys who are b/w their 1-4 yr. in the NBA even work in the NBA D-League as well so you can strike the NBA from that list.

Since I live in the U.S. it would be highly unlikely that I would work FIBA, so you can scratch that one as well. Everything else seems to be right on.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Since I live in the U.S. it would be highly unlikely that I would work FIBA, so you can scratch that one as well.
Why?

Quite a few U.S. D1 and NBA oficials have also obtained a FIBA rating and have worked FIBA tournaments over the years. To do so, you have to meet FIBA requirements re: camp evaluation, exams passed, age restrictions, etc.
It ain't that easy in the larger countries to obtain a FIBA rating and be qualified for international games.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, first of all if you work for the NBA, you more often than not work in either the NBA or the NBA D-League. Only guys who are b/w their 1-4 yr. in the NBA even work in the NBA D-League as well so you can strike the NBA from that list.
You are not fully accurate. There are plenty of officials who work the D-League, but do not yet work in the NBA. Where you are correct is that once an official is hired at the NBA level, he works a split schedule in both the D-League and the NBA for his first four years.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 04:04pm.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You are not fully accurate. There are plenty of officials who work the D-League, but do not yet work in the NBA. Where you are correct is that once an official is hired at the NBA level, he works a split schedule in both the D-League and the NBA for his first four years.
I agree with you completely with your first sentence and we are just getting into semantics here, but I don't know if you meant that once a guy gets hired at the NBA level that he works a 50/50 split schedule for his first 4 yrs. That statement would be incorrect. Their first yr. in the NBA it is more like an 80/20 and maybe a 70/30 at most. I know this is the internet and not everyone can be trusted with their information but trust me(redundant, I know) when I say i know more than a little bit about this area.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with you completely with your first sentence and we are just getting into semantics here, but I don't know if you meant that once a guy gets hired at the NBA level that he works a 50/50 split schedule for his first 4 yrs. That statement would be incorrect. Their first yr. in the NBA it is more like an 80/20 and maybe a 70/30 at most. I know this is the internet and not everyone can be trusted with their information but trust me(redundant, I know) when I say i know more than a little bit about this area.
Never claimed that it was 50/50. The newer guys do work more D-League games, but with only 60 referees they still get a decent number of NBA assignments.

Since you know how the NBA system works, check where one of the four group supervisors for the referees lives.