The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

can a player save the ball to himself after reestablishing himself inbounds with one foot or does he have to have two feet down inbounds after returning from out of bounds before touching the ball inbounds?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

You only need one foot to establish position. That's why putting only one foot OOB will cause a dribbler to be called OOB, and why putting only one foot over the division line will casue for a back court violation.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

If you tap the ball in a saving manner and then go out of bounds and then come back in and get one foot established inbounds you are OK. If you control the ball in a saving manner and then go out of bounds and then come back in and become the first to touch it this is illegal. The principle is similar to a dribbler who is in player control who dribbles the ball ahead of him and then steps out while not in contact with the ball and then comes back in to be the first to touch it. This is similarly illegal.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 01:29am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool OK - it's officially a tie

I've been keeping track, and this question is now tied with the "can you catch your own pass" question for the most asked question on this board.

The score is now a bazillion to a bazillion.

Next person to ask either, will put one of the questions over the top.

Whoopee.

Sorry to sound so jerky, and I don't want to discourage people from asking questions, but it's so easy to browse the threads to see if your question has already been asked.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
saving manner?

Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
If you tap the ball in a saving manner and then go out of bounds and then come back in and get one foot established inbounds you are OK. If you control the ball in a saving manner and then go out of bounds and then come back in and become the first to touch it this is illegal.
Eli, this is not a smart-@$$ question, but do the words "in a saving manner" have some bearing on the play? If you tap it, but NOT in a saving manner, would you have a different ruling? I'm just not understanding why it's not enough to simply say "tap" or "control". Am I missing something, or did you just put it in sort of as clarifying what was happening in the play?

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Apr 7th, 2002 at 12:14 PM]
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you tap the ball in a saving manner and then go out of bounds and then come back in and get one foot established inbounds you are OK. If you control the ball in a saving manner and then go out of bounds and then come back in and become the first to touch it this is illegal. The principle is similar to a dribbler who is in player control who dribbles the ball ahead of him and then steps out while not in contact with the ball and then comes back in to be the first to touch it. This is similarly illegal.
Except that (at least in FED), the violation occurs when the dribbler steps on the line -- coming back in and being the first to touch it has nothing to do with the violation.

So, if the "tap" was in a controlling manner, the violation occurs when the player steps out of bounds. Theoretically possible; I've never seen it happen.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Re: OK - it's officially a tie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I've been keeping track, and this question is now tied with the "can you catch your own pass" question for the most asked question on this board.

Whoopee.

Sorry to sound so jerky, and I don't want to discourage people from asking questions, but it's so easy to browse the threads to see if your question has already been asked.
Mark, what about catching my own airball?
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 03:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: Re: OK - it's officially a tie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Whoopee.

Mark, what about catching my own airball?
As you know, that's what I meant. Unless you mean "catching your own hairball ?

That would be on the "felineball" board.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this an NBA rules thing?

What do you mean "control the ball in a saving manner?"
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I don't mean anything by "in a saving manner" except just to say that the player is saving the ball from going out of bounds.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, that's what I was hoping you were going to say

Chuck
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't mean anything by "in a saving manner" except just to say that the player is saving the ball from going out of bounds.
Okay.

Unless the player touches the ball while OOB, he cannot be called for an OOB violation. Even if the catches the ball, while airborne, passes it inbounds, and then retrieves it, he still can't be called for an OOB violation. Other violations are possible, but not OOB.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: OK - it's officially a tie

Quote:

As you know, that's what I meant. Unless you mean "catching your own hairball ?

That would be on the "felineball" board.
Hey - you said catch a pass, not a shot. I took it to mean A1 is double teamed, throws the ball over B1 and B2, and runs to catch it - a self pass