The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:19am
Ch1town

Rule questions

I don't have my rule book with me today & I need a couple of quick questions answered with the rule # if possible.

1. A held ball off the opening jump ball before posssesion is established results in a re-jump with those two players, right?

2. Does FT restrictions for the players along the lane line include spinning backwards out of their spot or is that just meant for stepping into the lane?

Thanks in advance!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I don't have my rule book with me today & I need a couple of quick questions answered with the rule # if possible.

1. A held ball off the opening jump ball before posssesion is established results in a re-jump with those two players, right?
Right

Quote:
2. Does FT restrictions for the players along the lane line include spinning backwards out of their spot or is that just meant for stepping into the lane?
Leaving the space -- which is 3' x 3'
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:03am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Leaving the space -- which is 3' x 3'
Ok so leaving the space is the correct way to rule not entering the lane... I never thought the "backwards spin move" was illegal unitl last night. It is upon the calling officials judgement whether the player had spun 3' back out of the lane before the ball hits the rim/backboard, correct?

Thanks for the touchback! Would you happen to have rule #s to support those answers?
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Free throw violations are all listed in Rule 9-1.
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
It is upon the calling officials judgment whether the player had spun 3' back out of the lane before the ball hits the rim/backboard, correct?
Slight clarification....not only can't they spin back out of their lane space until the restrictions end, they can't spin sideways out of their lane space either.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
1. Case book 6.4.1 Sit C part (c)

2. 9-1-3d (leaving a marked space violation) and 1-5-2 (states that the space is 36" deep even though not marked on the court)
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:20am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
9-1-3d (leaving a marked space violation) and 1-5-2 (states that the space is 36" deep even though not marked on the court)
Nevada - Are you saying that if, in my opinion, the player who spun backwards out of the marked lane space didn't exceed the 3 feet depth limitations... he didn't leave early?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada - Are you saying that if, in my opinion, the player who spun backwards out of the marked lane space didn't exceed the 3 feet depth limitations... he didn't leave early?
If he didn't leave the enter the lane, enter either adjacent space, or leave out the back, he must still be in the space, right?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct. He doesn't have to remain motionless (as long as he doesn't disconcert the thrower) nor does he have to be right next to the lane line.

The rules grant him some leeway and freedom here. As an official your job is to correctly allow him to use it and not penalize him for doing something that is legal.