The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 21, 2000, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Will someone please provide me with the rules pertaining to pitching.

Game ASA men's slowpitch. I am interested in the requirements for feet on pitching rubber, time requirements prior to the pitch.

I remember that the pitcher must have both feet in contact with the rubber and must pause for 1 second, but pitch within 10 seconds. Is this still the case?

Also,
In some leagues there is the double first base with the orange part in foul territory.
The orange part is to be used by the Batter-runner when there is a play on him at first base. My question is: Has ASA implemented a rule change in 2000 that allows for a Batter-runner to step next to 1st base on the same type of play when no Orange part is being used.

I wouldn't be asking these question if I had my 2000 rule book.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Sat Aug 12, 2000, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo:
Will someone please provide me with the rules pertaining to pitching.

Game ASA men's slowpitch. I am interested in the requirements for feet on pitching rubber, time requirements prior to the pitch.

I remember that the pitcher must have both feet in contact with the rubber and must pause for 1 second, but pitch within 10 seconds. Is this still the case?

Also,
In some leagues there is the double first base with the orange part in foul territory.
The orange part is to be used by the Batter-runner when there is a play on him at first base. My question is: Has ASA implemented a rule change in 2000 that allows for a Batter-runner to step next to 1st base on the same type of play when no Orange part is being used.

I wouldn't be asking these question if I had my 2000 rule book.

Ron,
In slow pitch, just 1 foot in contact with the rubber and it does not need to be within the width of the rubber.
With the double 1st base, the batter/runner may not decide to use the other side of the base. The would be an out on appeal for missing the base.

------------------
Steve M
Member UT
Old Sat Sep 02, 2000, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

My question is: Has ASA implemented a rule change in 2000 that allows for a Batter-runner to step next to 1st base on the same type of play when no Orange part is being used.

I certainly hope not. I know there are some people of lesser intelligence that believe this would be a good thing, but where would you draw the line? "Neighborhood" tags have been accepted at particular levels, but I don't believe that it would be prudent to allow a runner, by rule, to miss a base intentionally.

How far would they allow the runner to step away from the bag and consider it legal? If at first, why not the rest of the bases on force plays for the same reason? What mechanics would umpires use to see how far the runner's foot was on the opposite side of the bag?

Too many questions and remember, this is from an umpire. Do you honestly think the players and coaches would understand it?

I had heard this same question about a month ago at a National Qualifier from a coach. My response was, "If the teams want the benefit of a double-base, buy on and carry it with you." The coach sort of looked at me like an idiot, turned around and walked away. Go figure!

------------------
Mike Rowe
DASA DUIC
NASO Member