The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
So it's not getting called when it should be; and it's not just accidentally missing them. So what are you saying?
I'm saying that missing 20 violations a game is not just missing them and that it's not being called when it should be.

Hell, the powers that be must agree with me. Bob told us that it's a POE in pre-season and in-season vidoes. Yet, it's still not being called. You tell me why.

The college game is following the footsteps of the NBA. Traveling is almost as prevalent in college as it is in the pros.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
So it's not getting called when it should be; and it's not just accidentally missing them. So what are you saying?
Are you saying you've never seen step step dunk no-called?

Are you saying you've never no-called this yourself?
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The college game is following the footsteps of the NBA. Traveling is almost as prevalent in college as it is in the pros.
We need to stop focusing on level. Traveling is the most inconsistent call at all levels. I think the difference between HS calls and college and pro calls is the fact HS officials call travels that often are not there. But to say it is not being called at the college level (and even the pro level) is a little bit of an exaggeration. Maybe it is not called as much as you like. But it is very easy to call things sitting on our couch, and then it is when you are out there on the floor.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
We need to stop focusing on level. Traveling is the most inconsistent call at all levels. I think the difference between HS calls and college and pro calls is the fact HS officials call travels that often are not there. But to say it is not being called at the college level (and even the pro level) is a little bit of an exaggeration. Maybe it is not called as much as you like. But it is very easy to call things sitting on our couch, and then it is when you are out there on the floor.

Peace
IMO, I think there is some validity to how traveling is called by level. I think it has a lot to do with how most college assignors view a traveling call vs. a traveling non-call. If a college official misses a travel, not that big of a deal. Several get missed per game and they get very little attention unless they come near the end of the game and the media decides that it was a "game decider."

If a college official calls a travel that doesn't exist, that will definitely get the attention of their assignor. I have a D-1 buddy who just comes out and says that he is not a very good official when it comes to traveling and it has never hurt him one bit. It's like any point of emphasis... if it isn't supported by the assignors then it really has little effect.

I have seen HS officials call traveling when it doesn't exist on occasion too. However, I do think that the additional traveling calls in HS (even the occasional one that isn't there) results in more legal footwork at that level.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I have seen HS officials call traveling when it doesn't exist on occasion too. However, I do think that the additional traveling calls in HS (even the occasional one that isn't there) results in more legal footwork at that level.
Well I think many travels I see at the HS level often perpetuate myths. For example I see legal jump stops called traveling all the time. Or when there is a jump stop, when certain elements are illegal, those are not called.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
We need to stop focusing on level.
If you don't want to discuss a particular level, then don't. I couldn't care less. If I choose to do so, then that's what I'll do.

Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lost In Cyber-Space ...

Hello. Is this microphone working?

Weren't we discussing European traveling rules?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 08:09pm.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

There's no such thing as European raveling rules, William.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 08:51pm.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2008, 07:36am
Official & Member

Quote:
There's no such thing as European raveling rules, William.
Agreed. Let's discuss the nuances of the European Un-raveling rules.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Jun 07, 2008 at 07:42am.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

And here I was thinking the European half-step was some funky dance move I hadn't heard of.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Up until a few years ago the Travel rule in FIBA was different.
A player could gather up the ball, jump off 1 or 2 feet (As in Rebounding) land on 2 feet parallel (jump stop) then pivot and shoot.It was a great move that confounded US players in International Games.
That is why you see the players in the NBA who learned under this rule to "take the extra step". Ginobli does it all the time. Back in 2001 they were allowed this in FIBA.I forget when it changed.
Now the travelling rule is the same for all and should be called consistently.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 06:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rain In Spain Stays Mainly On The Plain ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol
Up until a few years ago the Travel rule in FIBA was different.
A player could gather up the ball, jump off 1 or 2 feet (As in Rebounding) land on 2 feet parallel (jump stop) then pivot and shoot. Back in 2001 they were allowed this in FIBA.I forget when it changed. Now the traveling rule is the same for all and should be called consistently.
Thanks. My daughter played in Spain in the summer of 2001. I knew from observation that there had to be a difference in the travel rule for FIBA and NFHS back then.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 04:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'm saying that missing 20 violations a game is not just missing them .
Then what is it? Are you saying that college officials intentionally ignore traveling violations? Because that's what it sounds like to me. And I seriously doubt that is the case. (And it's also a gross exaggeration -- maybe an intentional one -- to say that there are 20 missed traveling violations in any college game.)

Quote:
Hell, the powers that be must agree with me. Bob told us that it's a POE in pre-season and in-season vidoes. Yet, it's still not being called. You tell me why.
I already did tell you why. It's a very difficult call at high speeds. It can be very difficult to determine exactly when the dribble ended and then also determine which foot, if any, was on the floor at that point.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 04:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Are you saying you've never no-called this yourself?
I have no doubt that I've missed it. I have never intentionally passed on it, when I knew it was a travel.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 05:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Hell, I watched about 2 minutes of game 2 of the NBA Finals and I saw a step step step step dunk no-called. There was a coupla minutes to go when I switched it on....LA was just coming back with a coupla minutes to go in the fourth.....some furriner with about 14 consonants in his name picked up the ball and.....honest to God.....took four(4) steps and then dunked the ball. No whistle. I shook my head, laughed, said "that's enough of this sh!t" and then turned it off again. Saw a story on the ESPN website the next day that said the NBA admitted that traveling shoulda been called. Well, no sh!t, Sherlock. Stevie Wonder coulda called that one.