The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm still new to this game so I will need your expertise. In which situations can a player be allowed to take two steps to do the lay up? For example, while standing still, a player receives a pass, can such player take two steps to do the lay up?

Much thanks.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

In your situation, two steps would be illegal.

Standing on both feet, if he lifts the left, R becomes the pivot. Stepping down with L is one step, and he now lifts R. If he returns R to the floor before passing, shooting, or calling a timeout, we have a travel violation.

The two steps can come during a jump stop - the player is in the air, 'hops' on one foot, and is then allowed to 'hop' off of both feet. Also, if the player recieves the ball in mid-air, he can put down L, then R, and get two steps that way.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ilovebasketball
I'm still new to this game so I will need your expertise. In which situations can a player be allowed to take two steps to do the lay up? For example, while standing still, a player receives a pass, can such player take two steps to do the lay up?

Much thanks.
Not without dribbling the ball, according to NCAA & NFHS
rules (college & HS). I don't know about the pro rules or
FIBA, but we got some of those types here that can help.

In NCAA & NFHS rules the travel rule relies, generally, on
the pivot foot. In your case the pivot foot is established
when the first step is taken - it's the other foot. The
pivot foot cannot be lifted before a dribble (not your
play), nor can it be lifted and put back to the floor while
the player holds the ball (your play).
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Ilove,

Here would be my advice to you on this situation. Know this rule but don't interrupt the flow of the game. If a player happens to take two and half or three steps on the way to the basket, use good judgement and maybe you could pass on it. I think one of the most important things to good officiating is creating a flow and little stuff like this can effect the flow greatly.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

2 & 1/2 steps? While i know what you mean, there is no such thing in reference to penalties. Either you take two or three steps. 2 steps is the same penalty as two and 1/2 steps. I would however disagree with over looking an obvious travel. If I think it was a travel but, i an not certain a player traveled I will not call it. Three steps, hard to miss, i would call it, unless it was by the team getting beat by 20+ points.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by iref21
Ilove,

Here would be my advice to you on this situation. Know this rule but don't interrupt the flow of the game. If a player happens to take two and half or three steps on the way to the basket, use good judgement and maybe you could pass on it. I think one of the most important things to good officiating is creating a flow and little stuff like this can effect the flow greatly.
That is probably the worst advice that I could think of to give to a new official.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic,

I am not arguing with you but I would be interested on why you think that teaching someone to be selective on their play calling. Don't you think this can make or brake an official?
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jurassic,

I am not arguing with you but I would be interested on why you think that teaching someone to be selective on their play calling. Don't you think this can make or brake an official?
Yes, it can make or brake (sic) an official. Not calling travelling in this situation would brake (sic) the official.

Now, if the player received the ball on the move, and you were not sure whether s/he received it just before or just after the (say) right foot left the ground, I'd agree that we'd "decide" it was after, the left foot becomes the pivot and the right foot can touch the ground again.

To the original poster, don't think of the rule as "the number of steps that can be taken." Think of it as "allowable movement of the pivot foot."
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

I agree with you and that is kind of the view I was getting at with the pivot situation. What I was trying to express is to not overthink a play like this. If you're not one hundred percent sure than pass on it and play on...
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 01:23pm
Esteemed Participant

iref - while I certainly agree with the concept of selective callin, game flow, advantage/disadvantage, etc. ,etc., I also agree with Jurassic and Bob - those concepts are not good advice to give to a new official who is having problems understanding the rule to begin with...once he/she has figured out the basics - mechanics, rules, etc, - then we can (hopefully) move them on to those other little things that help you move up the ladder...but telling a new official to not call travel on this play could backfire on that new official quite badly...
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
iref - while I certainly agree with the concept of selective callin, game flow, advantage/disadvantage, etc. ,etc., I also agree with Jurassic and Bob - those concepts are not good advice to give to a new official who is having problems understanding the rule to begin with...once he/she has figured out the basics - mechanics, rules, etc, - then we can (hopefully) move them on to those other little things that help you move up the ladder...but telling a new official to not call travel on this play could backfire on that new official quite badly...
Exactly,Rock!Gotta learn to walk before you can run.No need for me to respond now.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 25th, 2002 at 02:22 PM]
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ilove,

iref2,
I chuckled when I read your first post... then I saw you were serious. Oh, my!
Since Ilovebasketball is new to this game, don't you think it may be easier to understand this Hoops thing without the exotic call?
I think so.
mick

Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I understand where you guys are coming from now!! Thanks for the feedback, I will remember this in the future when giving advice.
Old Thu Apr 25, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Mick, I should have thought it through first.