The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Putting the ball back in play

Watching the Lakers Celtics game from 87 and I noticed how quickly these officials are putting the ball at the disposal of the thrower after a violation or oob. Which leads to an obvious question:

How long do you wait to put the ball in play? Does it depend where the throw-in is (and which way we are going)? Does the skill level of the game matter? Any specific examples would be great.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser
Watching the Lakers Celtics game from 87 and I noticed how quickly these officials are putting the ball at the disposal of the thrower after a violation or oob. Which leads to an obvious question:

How long do you wait to put the ball in play? Does it depend where the throw-in is (and which way we are going)? Does the skill level of the game matter? Any specific examples would be great.
Without subs, I look at the table.
Then I look at my partner.
Doesn't take too long.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

The sooner I get the ball in play, the sooner the clock starts running again. Which means, the sooner I get to go home.

Get in. Get done. Get out.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Clock table partner ball in play.

Plus or minus a rare brief word with a coach or player as required.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short and Sweet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Clock table partner ball in play.
Well put. Simple. To the point.

Don't forget, count ten, after substitutes. I'm not putting the ball in play with eleven players on the court, and neither is my partner, if I can help it.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Well put. Simple. To the point.

Don't forget, count ten, after substitutes. I'm not putting the ball in play with eleven players on the court, and neither is my partner, if I can help it.
I choose to count to 5 twice.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Five Red, Five White ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Good point. Me too.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser

The NBA normally puts the ball in quickly. Think about why the ball goes to the sideline on every call, No need to decide where it goes. Players know where to go. On fouls in backcourt once you have reported it gets thrown to the sideline and ball comes back in..

I believe it the speed is there for a couple of reasons.
1) The fans are there to watch the game not watching between calls
2) When the ball is is play a coach or player is less likely to worry about the call just made, they have to think about what's going on out there..
3) Games at 2:15 are just about right... With people's attention span anything more than 2:15 for a basketball game gets tiring...
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 09:51pm
Administrator

I really can't add to the good advice that has been posted in this thread except to say, that nothing good ever happens when the ball is dead, so the quicker one can get the ball back into play the better.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Feeling Groovy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I really can't add to the good advice that has been posted in this thread except to say, that nothing good ever happens when the ball is dead, so the quicker one can get the ball back into play the better.MTD, Sr.
MTD, Sr.: I seldom disagree with you, however, in this case, I must. I wish that you would reword your statement, "the quicker one can get the ball back into play the better", because this is not necessarily true. All correctable errors happen during dead ball periods, and many uncorrectable errors happen during these same dead ball periods as well, i.e. giving ball to wrong team for a throw in after a time out, giving the ball to the wrong team during an alternating possession throwin (sorry coach, you'll get two out of the next three), putting ball at the disposal of a player for a throwin while there are eleven players on the court, etc.

As Paul Simon wrote, "Slow down, you move too fast".
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I always figure if I had to take my shoes off to count, there's 11 players on the court.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 05:51am
Administrator

Quote:
MTD, Sr.: I seldom disagree with you, however, in this case, I must. I wish that you would reword your statement, "the quicker one can get the ball back into play the better", because this is not necessarily true. All correctable errors happen during dead ball periods, and many uncorrectable errors happen during these same dead ball periods as well, i.e. giving ball to wrong team for a throw in after a time out, giving the ball to the wrong team during an alternating possession throwin (sorry coach, you'll get two out of the next three), putting ball at the disposal of a player for a throwin while there are eleven players on the court, etc.

As Paul Simon wrote, "Slow down, you move too fast".

I don't know if I should rephrase my statement, because I said the advice in the thread has been good so far. There are certain things that must be done before putting the ball back into play and those things MUST be done. But once those things are done, get the ball back into play, don't screw around. That is what I mean by "the quicker one can get the ball back into play the better." Maybe a better phrase is one that MTD, Jr., likes to use: Festina Lente, which is Latin for "make haste slowly."

The important thing is to do what you are supposed to do and then get the game going again.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 06:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Festina Lente

Quote:
Festina Lente, Latin for "make haste slowly."
The important thing is to do what you are supposed to do and then get the game going again.
Good advice from Junior. Hopefully he will join the Forum, if he hasn't already (see thread about chat rooms).
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:40am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Maybe a better phrase is one that MTD, Jr., likes to use: Festina Lente, which is Latin for "make haste slowly." MTD, Sr.
That's like the Supreme Court's "with all deliberate speed".
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 12:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Good advice from Junior. Hopefully he will join the Forum, if he hasn't already (see thread about chat rooms).

Junior has not joined the Forum yet. He graduated from high school last night so he is now officially a high school graduate. Next Monday, the better half, Junior, I head off to Ohio Northern University for his freshmen orientation. Other than caddying and officiating the some basketball shootouts and umpirng so some summer baseball games, he has only two things to worry about: 1) Getting his tuchus ready for the college swim season (ONU's first meet is Oct. 18th; I didn't realize the NCAA Div. III swim season started so early.), and 2) playing baseball with his brother in a Senior Knothole league three times a week.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio