The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:04pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
... so that equal funding is given to both men and women, I begin to wonder, ...
And that's wrong why?
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Without commenting on title IX, I added a major school from a BCS conference to your mix.
Coincidence + Title IX? I don't buy it.

2000 ISU Football team wins first ever bowl game (Insight.com Bowl)
+
ISU Head FB Coach Dan McCarney named Big XII Coach of the Year Runner-Up (2000)
=McCarney's contract goes up to become commensurate with other Big XII head coaches

+

1999-2000 ISU Men's Basketball team wins first Conference Championship since 1945
+
FY 2001 Projected Expenditures for ISU Men's Basketball Program set to increase 42.6% from FY 2000
=ISU Head Men's Basketball Coarch Larry Eustachy becomes state of Iowa's highest-paid employee

=.....?

So again: Coincedence + Title IX, or what I've posited above?

(This is not an attack on you, Snaqs - I was just in the state at the same time and remember the course of events vividly as well.)
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 07:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I sensed no attack.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Without taking up any issues having to do with "political correctness", I think a line could be drawn at contact. If it's a contact sport (and there's plenty of contact in basketball), maybe you could make the case for separate teams. Baseball, which is a non-contact sport (despite some close plays at the plate) could be mixed, as could tennis, golf, bowling, swimming, track, etc.

Let's face it, would anyone out there support co-ed ice hockey? Come to think of it, there was this one girl in my high school who, er, never mind.
http://www.mlive.com/saginaw/stories...180.xml&coll=9
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

No, it is not fair.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

hense the titles Boys basketball and Girls basketball. Maybe they didn't have seperate facilities for women. What is a girl claimed to be touched inappropriately? To many "what if's"

It's a double standard. If girls can play boys sports then boys shold be able to play girls.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
What if some 6 foot, 12 year old boys wanted to play in a girl's league?

In some parts of the country, high schools are having problems with boys playing on girls field hockey teams. Since most high schools don't field boys field hockey teams, the courts, probably using Title IX, are ruling in favor of these boys, and state field hockey championships are being won by teams with several, big, tall, strong, muscular, fast, testosterone fueled, teenage boys.

Here in Connecticut we have had girls playing high school football, and participating in high school (boys) wrestling. We are also having gender problems with high school swimming teams, the boys teams and girls teams swim in two different seasons, and some swimmers want to compete in both seasons to have a better chance at getting college scholarships.

As the father of three athletes, two daughters, one son, all having participated in both high school, and college sports, I love Title IX. But when this law forces some colleges to drop baseball (Providence), mens gymnastics, mens wrestling, or other mens sports so that equal funding is given to both men and women, I begin to wonder, especially after considering some of the points made in this thread.

Complex issue. I don't believe that there are any easy answers, at least I don't have any.
And at least one state (MA) forced the boys to wear skirts like the girls. Ridiculous.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

New video interview with the girl

http://www.koin.com/content/mediacen...m&navCatId=156
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

We run co-ed teams in our organization for grades 3-8 and there are no issues like this. Boys that have self-esteem issues because of being outclassed by a girl will have the same issues later in life when they are outclassed by other boys. The key is to raise the boys properly so that their self-esteem isn't based on beating girls, but on understanding their own talent and getting the most out of it.

It is fascinating that the self-esteem of poorly raised boys is considered more important than the self-esteem of the girl in question. The boys lose games 90-something to 20-something, and the girl scores 30. With the girl gone, they still lose 60-something to 20-something, but now they have self-esteem?

Sorry, not buying it. These boys need to take up a different sport, or get used to taking a beating.

Meanwhile the girl is taught that women are second-class citizens. I guess that's true in this country, but it's a shame she has to learn it so young.

Last edited by Jimgolf; Tue May 27, 2008 at 02:20pm.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Another option would be to move her up to play with the freshman or JV teams. I know this girl - she's incredibly talented and tall for her age. She towers over all the other 6th grade girls and boys. She is soft spoken and the sweetest kid you'll ever meet, and hates the attention this has caused. I blame it all on the coach. He could have done a better job of playing her on a team where she'd be challenged and blend in based on her skill level.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:29pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Another option would be to move her up to play with the freshman or JV teams. I know this girl - she's incredibly talented and tall for her age. She towers over all the other 6th grade girls and boys. She is soft spoken and the sweetest kid you'll ever meet, and hates the attention this has caused. I blame it all on the coach. He could have done a better job of playing her on a team where she'd be challenged and blend in based on her skill level.
Why would you blame the coach? Why didn't the parents find her a team that was a better "fit" for her??
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Why would you blame the coach? Why didn't the parents find her a team that was a better "fit" for her??
Because I also know the parents and the coach.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I blame Bush.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I blame Canada.

In all seriousness, I'm sure we all wish the girl the best. But the NBA? I just don't see it.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue May 27, 2008 at 04:55pm.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think there's enough blame to go around. We can probably even include the Vatican's head of state.