The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 12:46am
Never Stop Learning

Rule 9-9-1

Had a situation tonight that had me questioning the ruling. Team A is in their frontcourt and has the ball stolen. Therefore A no longer has team control in their frontcourt, but now B has team control in their backcourt. Team A slaps the ball away from B and it goes into team A's backcourt. Team A was last to touch in the frontcourt and was first to touch in the backcourt when they gained possession. A did not have team control in the frontcourt so would this be a backcourt violation? Hope you can understand the way I wrote this.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Fri May 02, 2008 at 09:11am.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Had a situation tonight that had me questioning the ruling. Team A is in their frontcourt and has the ball stolen. Therefore A no longer has team control in their frontcourt but now B has team control in their backcourt. Team A slaps the ball away from B and it goes into team A's backcourt. Team A was last to touch in the frontcort and was first to touch in the backcourt when they gained possession. A did not have team control in the frontcourt so would this be a backcourt violation? Hope you can understand the way I wrote this.
You are correct. For a backcourt violation on A, A must have team control in their front court. And until A gained possession of the ball in their back court, it was still in B's possession. Therefore, this is not a backcourt violation.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

BITS is right. No violation as Team B was in control when the ball entered A's backcourt.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Had a situation tonight that had me questioning the ruling. Team A is in their frontcourt and has the ball stolen. Therefore A no longer has team control in their frontcourt but now B has team control in their backcourt. Team A slaps the ball away from B and it goes into team A's backcourt. Team A was last to touch in the frontcort and was first to touch in the backcourt when they gained possession. A did not have team control in the frontcourt so would this be a backcourt violation? Hope you can understand the way I wrote this.
You are correct, no backcourt violation! Way to go on talking yourself through the logic behind the ruling!

-Josh
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:22am
Never Stop Learning

Thanks for your help. I try to better myself on rule knowledge every chance I get. I was quite sure on this one, but when I confronted my partner all hell broke loose. I asked him if the girl had dribbled the ball in the frontcourt and taken it into the backcourt and he said no. What she did was slap it out of the players hand, so was last to touch in the frontcourt and first to touch in the backcourt. I said that they did not have team control in the frontcourt so this could not be a backcourt violation. My partner is quite good with rule knowledge so I was surprised when he didn't have this one.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I try to better myself on rule knowledge every chance I get. I was quite sure on this one, but when I confronted my partner all hell broke loose. I asked him if the girl had dribbled the ball in the frontcourt and taken it into the backcourt and he said no. What she did was slap it out of the players hand, so was last to touch in the frontcourt and first to touch in the backcourt. I said that they did not have team control in the frontcourt so this could not be a backcourt violation. My partner is quite good with rule knowledge so I was surprised when he didn't have this one.
You mean consulted with, right?
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation where Team A passes in their frontcourt. B1 deflects the pass. A2 lunges for the deflection and barely touches it but it goes past him into Team A's backcourt. A2 goes back and retrieves it and I called a BC violation.

Team A was mad because the pass had clearly been deflected by B1, but my reasoning was that Team A still had team control and the pass had last been touched by A2 in the frontcourt.

If, OTOH, A2 had missed the pass entirely, he could have gone into the BC to get it.

Did I get those right?

JT
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftuck
I had a similar situation where Team A passes in their frontcourt. B1 deflects the pass. A2 lunges for the deflection and barely touches it but it goes past him into Team A's backcourt. A2 goes back and retrieves it and I called a BC violation.

Team A was mad because the pass had clearly been deflected by B1, but my reasoning was that Team A still had team control and the pass had last been touched by A2 in the frontcourt.

If, OTOH, A2 had missed the pass entirely, he could have gone into the BC to get it.

Did I get those right?

JT
Yep. Good job!
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:42am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
You mean consulted with, right?
That caught my eye too, you stole my reply! Wanker

confronted my partner = all hell broke loose
consulted my partner = a discussion that could sometimes lead to "all hell broke loose"
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:55am
Ch1town

Quote:

Did I get those right?

JT
To take it a step further, what if B1 deflects the ball toward the BC & A2 retrieves it before it strikes the BC floor... what do you have then?
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 09:55am
Never Stop Learning

You guys are such softies.
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
To take it a step further, what if B1 deflects the ball toward the BC & A2 retrieves it before it strikes the BC floor... what do you have then?
Play on?

I might be missing what you're saying. If A2 retrieves the ball in his frontcourt and never goes backcourt with it, then it's a simple pass. Even if he reaches over the division line to secure the ball. If A2 goes into the backcourt but catches the ball in the air, it's a violation.

JT
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 11:07am
Ch1town

Quote:
If A2 goes into the backcourt but catches the ball in the air, it's a violation.

JT
Exactly! Many coaches/players/fanatics & unfortunately some officials don't understand the location of the ball. I generally don't hold rule clinics during a game, but if choose to explain it I use the same principles but in an OOB situation... the reactions I sometimes get vary some get it some dont.
Oh well, when you're on your rules they can't trick you into the wrong call.