The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 11:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Wasn't this refreshing

While flipping channels today (gee - guys never do that, do we) I noticed Fox Sports Net had the Arizona - Arizona State girls softball game. They mentioned that one of the players was pre-med with a GPA of almost 4 and that she missed a road trip because she wanted to do some lab work for one of her classes.

Unfortunately, she's the exception, not the rule.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 01:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yep, there are actually a few real "student athletes" out there. They just don't get the publicity...... But, in the long run, I'm sure their careers work out just as well, if not better, than the athletes we DO hear about all the time.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 02:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Real Student Athletes ...

I'm a big fan of Emeka Okafor. As the son of Nigerian immigrants, he is known for not only being a good basketball player but also for being an elite student. His major at UConn was finance, and he graduated with honors after three years in May 2004 with a 3.8 GPA. One of his last courses at UConn was an honors-level finance course where students were allowed to make investment decisions for a small portion of UConn's endowment. Okafor was named the Academic All-American of the Year in 2004 for his work on and off the court. After three years of playing high level NCAA Division I basketball, he earned his degree, with honors, and became the first round draft pick of the Charlotte Bobcats.

There are some young men, and young women, out there who take full advantage of the opportunities that a college scholarship offers to them. And, don't forget that there are probably a lot more true student athletes out there playing lower level NCAA Division I sports, as well as NCAA Division II, NCAA Division III, junior college, and NAIA sports. My daughter played Division III soccer (Marywood University, Penn.), and was a nursing major. She had to miss a few early afternoon games over her four years on the team, including her year as a captain, to participate in her clinicals. She was, academically, number one in her nursing class. My son, a high school all-state (CT) cross country runner, ran Division II cross country. Besides being the first runner on his team to finish, every meet, for all of his four years, he also finished first in his college class (St. Anselm) and was the valedictorian, getting a full ride to get his masters (Fordham), and now getting a full ride to get his doctorate (SUNY-Albany), not because of his athletic accomplishments, but due to his diligence in the classroom.

Being a great college athlete, and a great college student, are not mutually exclusive.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think that there are a lot of student athletes out there, not just a few. Most of the students that play sports are not going to have any chance to play professionally when they finish college. And also let us keep in mind that most athletes graduate at a much higher percentage than those that never play sports and these universities. And also I think this story about a player not traveling in softball is really a different sport. Softball and baseball players can be away from campus much more than many other sports. They play 50 something games and can play almost every day or waiting around when weather is canceling games. It is very possible that this athlete was not going to play or they did not need her. All players are not a Derrick Rose or an OJ Mayo where these kids are going to make more money in their signing bonus than most of us will make in our life time. Also one other factor is most softball and baseball players almost never get full scholarships like other sports (at least the major sports). Some of the best players are lucky if they even get 50% of a scholarship and the players and their families have to come up with the rest of the tuition and fees. And that is why you do not see a lot of kids playing baseball or softball from poorer circumstances because college will not be affordable if they play baseball and softball.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'd Like To Believe You, But, Prove It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let us keep in mind that most athletes graduate at a much higher percentage than those that never play sports at these universities.
I've heard this also. I've heard the same thing about interscholastic sports. I'd love to get some proof of this. If this could be proven, it would sure make me feel better about student-athletes being both students and athletes.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 12:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I've heard this also. I've heard the same thing about interscholastic sports. I'd love to get some proof of this. If this could be proven, it would sure make me feel better about student-athletes being both students and athletes.
All you have to do is find the graduation rates of any school and compare them to the athletic programs. In most cases at major universities, the athlete’s graduation rates tend to be higher. Of course some schools are better than others. Also the way NCAA computes graduation rates is also misleading. They do not account for JUCO transfers that graduate from the institution they transferred to. The rates only include athletes that come into school as freshman and graduate in a certain period of time (which I believe is 5 years). If they come back and graduate like Shaq did at LSU or Vince Carter did at North Carolina.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

http://www.ncaa.org//grad_rates/
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 06:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Good link. Thanks
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 02:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Speaking of student athletes, this gives me a chance to do a little off topic bragging. I've mentioned my 13 year old grandson Tyler before and how terrific a basketball and baseball player he is. This weekend he had his first baseball game of the season. Of course I was there. He was the starting pitcher. He pitched four innings, gave up two hits (both singles) and one walk while striking out five. He then played 3rd base for the final three innings (they play seven). At bat, he went three for four. All three of his hits were doubles and he had all five of his team's RBIs as they won 5-1. The only out he made at bat was a fly out to the warning track.

Not bad for his first time ever as a starting pitcher. After the game, we celebrated and I took him to Hooters. OK, not really, but it would have freaked out my daughter.

Oh yeah, did I mention he gets excellent grades? In fact, he's in something called the National Junior Honor Society.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 02:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Speaking of student athletes, this gives me a chance to do a little off topic bragging. I've mentioned my 13 year old grandson Tyler before and how terrific a basketball and baseball player he is. This weekend he had his first baseball game of the season. Of course I was there. He was the starting pitcher. He pitched four innings, gave up two hits (both singles) and one walk while striking out five. He then played 3rd base for the final three innings (they play seven). At bat, he went three for four. All three of his hits were doubles and he had all five of his team's RBIs as they won 5-1. The only out he made at bat was a fly out to the warning track.

Not bad for his first time ever as a starting pitcher. After the game, we celebrated and I took him to Hooters. OK, not really, but it would have freaked out my daughter.

Oh yeah, did I mention he gets excellent grades? In fact, he's in something called the National Junior Honor Society.
Get him off the HGH now, then...

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Congrats on being the proud grandparent!

Question: why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well?

Answer: to come
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Guess ...

[QUOTE=JugglingReferee]Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well?QUOTE]

http://www.gocomics.com/stonesoup/20...mpid=0&ssns=9&

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 08:55pm.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 08:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well?
http://www.gocomics.com/stonesoup/20...mpid=0&ssns=9&
Cute.

Answer: they have the same enemy!