The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Online Quizzes Anyone?

Are there any good sites out there that have rules quizzes/tests for basketball? It'd just be nice to keep up with the rules over the summer and finding a site loaded with good situation/quizzes would be great. Thanks!

-Josh
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

There's a great one on television. Just watch any game featuring Billy Packer's commentary. Every time he mentions a rule, mark down "false" on your answer sheet. You're guaranteed to get 100%!
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 10:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
There's a great one on television. Just watch any game featuring Billy Packer's commentary. Every time he mentions a rule, mark down "false" on your answer sheet. You're guaranteed to get 100%!
Ok, I gotta ask: where do you come up with this stuff?
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That is hilarious...LOL
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I was thinking the very same thing.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I ask because about 3-4 years ago there used to be a website that had tons of baseball quizzes and I would go through those cases on occasion and it helped out tons with knowing when to apply what rule(s). For the life of me, I can't remember what site that was for basketball though

-Josh
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 12:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I have no idea. I think it's fed into my cortex by aliens from the planet "Shecky". Now if I could only figure out a way to get paid for it, that would be really great.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
I ask because about 3-4 years ago there used to be a website that had tons of baseball quizzes and I would go through those cases on occasion and it helped out tons with knowing when to apply what rule(s). For the life of me, I can't remember what site that was for basketball though

-Josh
I am not an expert on this, but I know of no specific site that allows you to take tests. There was a program that you could buy to take tests, but that program is going to be discontinued and will not have updated information.

The best thing you can do is read boards like this and ask questions about rules or read the responses to rules. I would suggest that you always verify the information by looking up claims for yourself, but that is the best I know of. Also understand this board talks a lot about philosophies and mores of how to do things which are not always accepted by everyone or every place. I believe that can make you a more well rounded official because you learn from all kinds of people and levels and you will have to decide what works or does not work for you. Maybe someone knows of a site that fits what you want, but this question has been asked many times before and no one has answered your question directly.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 03:24pm.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wholeheartedly agree with Rut. I'd also add that you can learn a lot by lurking, as well. Read the discussions, especially after the rule changes are announced. Feel free to ask questions to clarify. As you work games, ask questions that arise from the games.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:38pm
Ch1town

I don't know if your association assigns by The Arbiter, but they have a quiz section on there. http://www.thearbiter.net/

Also, not sure if you're affiliated with IAABO or not, but you can go to http://area9officials.org/
the last link on the left side of the page is past tests for review you can click there to take old tests (2004-2007) & check your answers.

NOTE: Rules change season to season & may affect your answers.

Hope this helps.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 02:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I believe that can make you a more well round official
So can not running up the court.

Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
Are there any good sites out there that have rules quizzes/tests for basketball? It'd just be nice to keep up with the rules over the summer and finding a site loaded with good situation/quizzes would be great. Thanks!

-Josh
www.eofficials.com/pages/aboutESO/whoweare.aspx
Go the link above. You may register for free using the link in the upper right hand corner. This will give you access to the Affiliates Area which includes the NCAA link in the lower left hand corner. If you pay, you will have access to the members area.
The NCAA link has archived quizzes and tests - at least the women's does. Here's a sampling of questions from our required test:
REQUIRED EXAM COMMENTARY
Prepared by Debbie Williamson, NCAA Women’s Basketball Secretary-Rules Editor and
Mary Struckhoff, NCAA National Coordinator of Women’s Basketball Officiating
Note: Questions missed by over 25% of the officials answering the question will have a “commentary” noted below the question.
ID #: 4 Substitute A6 attempts to enter the game wearing game shorts that are a different color and style from her teammates.
Times
Answered
115 a. A6 may enter the game only if assessed an administrative technical foul.
22 b. A6 may enter the game only if assessed a player/substitute technical foul.
32 c. Permitted; game shorts need not be the same for all team members.
1014 d. A6 is directed to leave the game until she is wearing game shorts that are of the same color, style and design as her teammates.
29 e. None of the above.
Correct Answer: D Reference: 3-5.4
Total responses: 1212 % Correct: 84
ID #: 9 A1’s throw-in hits an official who is on the court. After the ball hits the official, A1 enters the court and is the first to touch the ball.
Times
Answered
59 a. Legal, play continues.
1117 b. Throw-in violation on A1.
3 c. Technical foul on A1.
Correct Answer: B Reference: 4-46.3; 9-5.1.f
Total responses: 1179 % Correct: 95
2007-08 NCAA Women’s Basketball
Required Exam Commentary
Page No. 2
ID #: 10 While Team A is in team control, B1 deflects the ball out of bounds with two seconds on the shot clock. A1’s throw-in is caught simultaneously by A2 and B2, causing a held ball. The possession arrow favors Team A. Times Answered 1062 a. The ball is awarded to Team A with the unexpired time remaining on the shot clock. 32 b. The ball is awarded to Team A with the a full reset of the shot clock. 23 c. The ball is awarded to Team A with 15 seconds put on the shot clock. 12 d. Shot clock violation by Team A. 16 e. None of the above. Correct Answer: A Reference: 2-11.7.i Total responses: 1145 % Correct: 93
ID #: 12 During a jump ball, jumper A1 taps the ball to A2, who taps it to A3, who gains possession. Times Answered 0 a. The shot clock should start when the official tosses the ball for the jump ball. 48 b. The shot clock should start when A1 touches the ball. 25 c. The shot clock should start when A2 touches the ball. 1133 d. The shot clock should start when A3 possesses the ball. 10 e. None of the above. Correct Answer: D Reference: 2-11.5 Total responses: 1216 % Correct: 93
ID #: 14 Team A’s game jerseys have the school's mascot at the apex of the neckline on the back of the jersey. These jerseys are legal. Times Answered 1140 a. True 58 b. False Correct Answer: A Reference: 3-5.5.c.1 Total responses: 1198 % Correct: 95
2007-08 NCAA Women’s Basketball
Required Exam Commentary
Page No. 3
ID #: 39 A cross-court pass along the end line from A1 to A2 is deflected by B1 and hits the ring/flange. The shot clock operator should: Times Answered 44 a. Reset the shot clock. 1114 b. Continue to let the shot clock run without a reset. 2 c. Sound the horn and notify the officials that a shot-clock violation has occurred. 2 d. Set the shot clock to 15 seconds. 19 e. None of the above. Correct Answer: B Reference: 2-11.6.d; 4-69.1 Total responses: 1181 % Correct: 94
ID #: 40 A pass from A1 to A2 is intentionally kicked by B1 with 15 seconds remaining on the shot clock. The shot clock operator should: Times Answered 97 a. Stop the timing device and set it to 15 seconds. 11 b. Stop the timing device and reset it to 30 seconds. 1067 c. Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play begins. 13 d. None of the above. Correct Answer: C Reference: 2-11.7.b Total responses: 1188 % Correct: 90
ID #: 43 An unsuccessful try for goal hits the rim, the shot-clock timing device shall be reset and started: Times Answered 11 a. When the ball is legally touched by a player in bounds. 1 b. When a player is legally touched by the ball in bounds. 1031 c. When a team gains possession of the ball. 82 d. All of the above. 25 e. None of the above. Correct Answer: C Reference: 2-11.5 Total responses: 1150 % Correct: 90