The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Most of the time when a player slams the ball down, it is in response to getting a foul or violation called on them. That's why the T is called - for the unsporting behavior of the reaction, not the specific act. You will usually see the two happen together, and perhaps that's how people have come to associate the "slam" with the T. However, you will not find "Slam the ball down in a forceful manner" as one of the items listed in Rule 10. There is a subtle difference, and that is why those officials were working that particular game - they know that difference. When I saw the play, my reaction was "Uh, oh...", but as I processed what actually happened, I saw why the officials did not penalize it. The more I think about it, the more I hope I would call it the same way in a high school game.
Well said.
You've also spelled out my thought process through this discussion.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:36am
Official & Member

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I hope I would call it the same way in a high school game.
I can respect your opinion, and judging from the poll on this topic 75% of the officials her agree with you. But I guess my viewpoint differs here because I think a HS player has a different standard of behavior than a D1 player in a nationally televised championship game.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
I can respect your opinion, and judging from the poll on this topic 75% of the officials her agree with you. But I guess my viewpoint differs here because I think a HS player has a different standard of behavior than a D1 player in a nationally televised championship game.
It's not about the game venue.

It is about whether or not you judge the act to be an unsporting act. For some of us it clearly was not for the reasons M&M summed up nicely.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:47am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
And I would respectfully submit that you are missing the point. It doesn't matter that it was nationally televised, or that it was a Championship game, or that it was a "big" game, or that it was an NCAA game...what matters is that the player was NOT demonstrating unsportsmanlike behavior. Frustration is not unsportsmanlike - it's oart of any game. If the method of displaying that frustration is unsportsmanlike, then we penalize it. As has been said several times in this thread - the ball slam was NOT in response to a call or no-call, and was not directed at the officials, and was not a taunt directed at the other team, and did not delay the game...there really is no reason to call a T for this - not even at the HS level.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You've also spelled out my thought process through this discussion.
Uh, oh...I'm thinking like you?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

We have had this discussion before, but this is the difference between a HS official and an official that works a lot of college. The HS official is trying to prove they need to call something, while the college official is usually trained to be a little more restraint and use a little bit of common sense. That is why you see officials spending a lot of time trying to justify this as a foul.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most of the time when a player slams the ball down, it is in response to getting a foul or violation called on them. That's why the T is called - for the unsporting behavior of the reaction, not the specific act.
Very well stated...emphasis added.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Uh, oh...I'm thinking like you?

I'd offer some of Padgett's meds, but he seems to be doing well and I wouldn't want to take any away from him.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:03am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
We have had this discussion before, but this is the difference between a HS official and an official that works a lot of college. The HS official is trying to prove they need to call something, while the college official is usually trained to be a little more restraint and use a little bit of common sense. That is why you see officials spending a lot of time trying to justify this as a foul.

Peace
Yeah. That's it. All us HS guys without any common sense
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Jeff, while I wholeheartedly agree with your general principle, I might disagree a little with your wording. I don't think it's strictly a difference between HS and college officials, I think it's a difference between an average official and a great official, no matter the level. There are great HS officials that understand this principle that do not work any college ball. Of course, if you work at the college level, it is probable you already understand these subtle differences.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:11am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'd offer some of Padgett's meds, but he seems to be doing well and I wouldn't want to take any away from him.
I'm always receptive to a cash offer.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I'm always receptive to a cash offer.
capitalist
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah. That's it. All us HS guys without any common sense
I did not say all. But your justification for this is based on a HS principle which you admitted that "In a HS game, I am calling a T." And the funny thing there is not "HS principle. When I read material about officiating, I almost never see, "At the HS level we do this...... and at the college level we do this......."

I know I officiate the same way at the college level as I do at the HS level when the rules and interpretations are exactly the same. The major difference is the players are bigger and faster. But the way I deal with coaches, conduct, and situations is exactly the same.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, expectations change as the levels move up. Sorry, but that is the reality here
snip

Peace
Jr: I have come to respect your opinion on many topics here in my reading, but I have to say i could not disagree more with you and others who do not support calling a technical foul for slamming the ball. In this case he (CDR) was clearly angry and out of control and committed an unsporting act, then looked directly at the official like he was waiting for the "t" signal. I think calling a technical in this situation would have been a huge help to the game. it would preserve the integrity of the officials involved and the rules. Instead they gave a star player a break in special circumstances (nc game). I lost much respect for the crew of that game and their judgment. I think I'll have to give your replies here a second look if I follow your rationale posted here for not calling a technical foul. Sure it would have been a madhouse if he called the t, but instead the opposing team was cheated out of a legitimate free throw opportunity.

By not calling the t we create these "spoiled" players and special rules for special times which ultimately erode the integrity, spirit and purpose of the game. It's a technical every time I see it at the varsity level. the only exception would be a player making a hard dribble and catching it, not what we saw in the cdr example.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jeff, while I wholeheartedly agree with your general principle, I might disagree a little with your wording. I don't think it's strictly a difference between HS and college officials, I think it's a difference between an average official and a great official, no matter the level. There are great HS officials that understand this principle that do not work any college ball. Of course, if you work at the college level, it is probable you already understand these subtle differences.
I agree with the great part of your point of view. But in all the sports I work, college officials go to more camps, attend more training sessions and do more to get better because they have to. I am also talking about all the sports I work where HS officials can quote that rulebook, quote the mechanics book and if you tell them something that is outside of both they cannot function. I would agree that is very simplistic, but I can tell a mile away when someone is surprised by a common philosophy that is used at the college level.

Peace