The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Switching to women's ball as a way to move up more quickly on the men's side, reminds me of people who try to get down a gridlocked freeway faster by zipping up an exit ramp and speeding down the entrance ramp on the other side.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Switching to women's ball as a way to move up more quickly on the men's side, reminds me of people who try to get down a gridlocked freeway faster by zipping up an exit ramp and speeding down the entrance ramp on the other side.
Juulie, I do that all the time. It works, especially on Hwy. 217.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie, I do that all the time. It works, especially on Hwy. 217.
Yea, but see, you know there are no cement barriers at the top of the ramp, no police car taking license numbers. This guy is gonna get to the top of the ramp, metaphorically speaking, and find who knows what? A spike strip, maybe? Or maybe there is no ramp there back onto the freeway at all?

Furthermore, what people think of you (all those saps sitting on the freeway) doesn't matter, but assignors and partners need to be on track with this guy, and a lot of people are saying this isn't gonna work for him.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 07:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yea, but see, you know there are no cement barriers at the top of the ramp, no police car taking license numbers. This guy is gonna get to the top of the ramp, metaphorically speaking, and find who knows what? A spike strip, maybe? Or maybe there is no ramp there back onto the freeway at all?

Furthermore, what people think of you (all those saps sitting on the freeway) doesn't matter, but assignors and partners need to be on track with this guy, and a lot of people are saying this isn't gonna work for him.
That's funny...There's an exit near Hampton University in which people try this trick before entering the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. But at the bottom of the ramp is a weigh station and a couple of mirrors which are used by the State Troopers to catch people using this tactic. Me, I get off one exit earlier and cut through the outskirts of the campus then go down the ramp.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
That's funny...There's an exit near Hampton University in which people try this trick before entering the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. But at the bottom of the ramp is a weigh station and a couple of mirrors which are used by the State Troopers to catch people using this tactic. Me, I get off one exit earlier and cut through the outskirts of the campus then go down the ramp.
I bet the people who get caught don't think it's that funny (even though it really is).
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 09:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Honestly, I wasn't aware this is illegal. I do this occasionally, but not for this purpose. I usually do it when I find myself stuck in an exit-only lane but don't want to exit.

When I've tried it for speed purposes, it's always backfired.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Oh noes, I wouldn't go to the women's side to move up higher then switch to men's. That's not "ethical", IMO.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 09:55am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Patched things up, eh?
Oh no...go back and look at what I wrote. I said "not COMPLETE morons"! Changed the caps there to make my point...

And KTJ - glad to hear that you wouldn't do that. Your OP made it sound like that's what you were contemplating.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 11:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
But at the bottom of the ramp is a weigh station
That comment reminded me of something a partner said to a fan once after a game. The guy weighed well over 300 pounds (I thought he was doing a Michelin Man impression) and was yelling at my partner the entire game. After it was over, he came over to yell some more. My partner told him he'd better leave because the truck scales were about to close and he'd miss his weigh-in.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Aaaahhhh, the good ole "Settlers Landing/HU/Avoid the HRBT backup" exit
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTripleJump
Oh noes, I wouldn't go to the women's side to move up higher then switch to men's. That's not "ethical", IMO.
While working for company A, what's wrong with taking a new job at company B so you can gain experience you think will advance your career in hopes that you can eventually get hired by company C? If you take out the "Womens" and "Mens" from the conversation, that's all this is.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
While working for company A, what's wrong with taking a new job at company B so you can gain experience you think will advance your career in hopes that you can eventually get hired by company C? If you take out the "Womens" and "Mens" from the conversation, that's all this is.
I completely agree. And if officials have a problem with why someone works a level, then they have too much time on their hands. They need to worry about their job not what someone else is trying to do or not do.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think that anyone who is only 26 has any business at the D1 level.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm confused.
Are you saying that they are travelling in the WRONG direction on these ramps?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I don't think that anyone who is only 26 has any business at the D1 level.
Why should age be a factor? If you're good, you're good.

Talk to Bill Carollo who reffed Big Ten football at 28 and has done two Superbowls along with countless playoff games and is arguably one of the better NFL officials.