Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hustle, Patience, and Strength,
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Judgment, toughness, empathy.
Not a criticism - just want to point out the sometimes toughness and empathy can be at odds with each other. Finding the "right" balance can be a real challenge.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

These 3 things

1- Be Consistent 2- Respect the game 3- Be in position to make the call
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:00pm
Huck Finn

I would say right off the top that if an official doesn't love this game, don't officiate! To truly love this game should make an official, player or coach realize that there is no perfect game, but doing all you can to strive for the perfect game is always a goal. There are many more than three words that can be used to describe how I feel about officiating and this game.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Even if you do it as a hobby and/or don't need the money, it's important to remember that it is a JOB. You're taking money in exchange for the service you provide. That being said, be professional, be courteous and WORK HARD TO GET BETTER. You don't go to work every day and go through the motions, you go there to work hard, try to improve your skills and advance your position. The same rules should apply here.

In addition to that, always be slow to speak and quick to listen with coaches and players.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up Thanks!!!

Thanks to all who replied....I believe I am on the right track now.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 10:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Be decisive and project confidence about your own calls and those of your partner(s), even though you may be facing great adversity, and even though you may have doubts of your own.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

The Afteraction Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I have been asked to speak at a local University, to a group of students taking an Officiating Class and I am just trying to get some ideas from this group of experiece officials. The question is:

"what is important to you as an Offiicial?"

"What are three words that come to mind as an official?"

Please provide me your input. One word that comes to mind for me is Integrity...

Thanks in advance.
Good luck with your talk. As in officiating, remember to relax and have fun. And let us know how it went.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I have been asked to speak at a local University, to a group of students taking an Officiating Class and I am just trying to get some ideas from this group of experiece officials. The question is:

"what is important to you as an Offiicial?"

Please provide me your input. One word that comes to mind for me is Integrity...

Thanks in advance.

"You're gone, coach"
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
It's your round.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Judgment, toughness, empathy.
Just curious why you would identify empathy as an important element of officiating?

Empathy: 1. Identification with and understanding of another's feelings, situation, and motives. 2. Attribution of one's own feelings to an object. (Webster's II New Collegiate Dictionary)
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
Just curious why you would identify empathy as an important element of officiating?

Empathy: 1. Identification with and understanding of another's feelings, situation, and motives. 2. Attribution of one's own feelings to an object. (Webster's II New Collegiate Dictionary)
You gotta be able to see things from the coaches' perspective in order to achieve long term success. They have to feel that you understand their point of view in order for them to be comfortable with you on their game. Remember, the assignors work for the schools (coaches) not for us.

Last edited by socalreff; Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:40am.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Not a criticism - just want to point out the sometimes toughness and empathy can be at odds with each other. Finding the "right" balance can be a real challenge.
You are 100% correct, Mark, as usual. They can conflict and cause problems when they do. However, when I was able to understand how the coaches and players view officials, both from the big perspective and on individual calls, it made a huge difference. No different than being a parent, you need the people skills to make your points in the right way. To me, once you have good judgment, the whole key to officiating is knowing how to communicate with partners, coaches, and players to make the game right and enjoyable for everyone. Sometimes you have to be like a parent to the players, sometimes like a spouse to the coaches, and sometimes actually be a prison warden to all of them. That balance is what the truly great ones find. I look for it every game, even "wreck" ball.

Empathy also helps in working with your partners. Nobody has the same philosophies or judgment, but if you can understand were they come from, it's really easy to work with everyone. Nobody goes out to try and do things wrong.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
You are 100% correct, Mark, as usual.
If you think that, then you are 100% incorrect, as usual.