The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
You're like a bad spouse....you hear what you want to hear.
And he is upset that he's always been stuck in the Land of Hgh School and Below. Labels and lack of diversity are so important here.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I'm going out to Orange County in May to celebrate my birthday with my brother and his family, does that count? Maybe Ed T. Sr will in town give a lecture??
I haven't had a Del Taco bean burrito in YEARS! Which is good 'cause I ate too many of them when I lived in OC.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 05:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
And he is upset that he's always been stuck in the Land of Hgh School and Below. Labels and lack of diversity are so important here.
Yup, there's nothing lower than high school officials. They're the lowest of the low. I've already got that concept from both of you. Personally, I always bow down to the college and above officiating legends like you and LoCal. You are both minimum D1 officials, right? NBA officials using aliases?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 05:12pm.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
I haven't had a Del Taco bean burrito in YEARS! Which is good 'cause I ate too many of them when I lived in OC.
My brother drives limos out there and Del Taco is his favorite after-midnight spot.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 07:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Ok, I heard back from the person that I emailed about the System. Here are some of the comments that were sent to me. I specifically asked if Ed or anyone in the system will get you into a particular camp or talk to a particular assignor for you:

Quote:
Ed Rush's Officiating Success System does a lot for me. It provides year-round communication. There are 2 parts to it: The Success Club and the Court Club. The Court Club is an interactive conference call. It is very professional as well as down to earth. Ed Rush has a special guest and instructive program each month. Barry Mano, George Toliver, Joe Crawford, Ronnie Nunn, Mark Reischling are among the big names who have spoken with us. We get the purest, highest level information. If you have a question, you may ask it.

Camps are separate. You won't be told which particular camp to attend. Whichever camps you choose is up to you. I believe that meeting the expected criteria (at camp) is what decides if we are selected for higher level officiating.

No one has ever said they will contact assigners.

In a nutshell, the crux of Ed Rush's Success System is support, motivation, personal/professional input, and learning how to analyze your officiating so that you can do better. This helps you get to the point you want to reach.

A continuous improvement attitude is needed. Complacency is out. That is the philosophy I like and accept. Helping others and supporting your partner are key.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 08:21am
Ch1town

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds as if he/she thinks it's more than worth the bill... if you dont mind me asking:

1. how long has he/she been in the program?
2. what level of ball does your contact work?

Appreciate it.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 08:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
1. how long has he/she been in the program?
2. what level of ball does your contact work?
1. I don't know. I honestly didn't think to ask. Dumb. But it has to be a little while, since the person's endorsement is on the front page of the website.

2. Currently HS, and attending an NCAA Division 3 tryout for the first time, this summer.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 08:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
1. I don't know. I honestly didn't think to ask. Dumb. But it has to be a little while, since the person's endorsement is on the front page of the website.

2. Currently HS, and attending an NCAA Division 3 tryout for the first time, this summer.
Geeze, I hope t'hell that he hasn't been officiating longer than the magical three year number. If he hasn't attained The Land Of College And Above(tm) by then, he ain't ever gonna make it, Success System or not. He'll be eternally mired in the depths of The Land Of High School And Below(tm).

In SoCal, you do 100 high school games and tryout for D3 in your first year. It's true, it's true......

Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 09:08am
Ch1town

Quote:

Thanks Scapper1! Still debating but you have helped.

JR - I was hoping you'd share some words of wisdom with me on this matter!! Any thoughts on if this would be a good buy for one who would like to go as far as possible with this avocation or should good ol' fashion hardwork in camps do the trick??
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 12:36pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
JR - I was hoping you'd share some words of wisdom with me on this matter!! Any thoughts on if this would be a good buy for one who would like to go as far as possible with this avocation or should good ol' fashion hardwork in camps do the trick??
I don't have a clue what the program offered entails, but the people involved sure seem credible. It can't hurt. Whether it is worth the money though....I can't tell you. Ya pays your moneys...ya takes your chances.

One thing to think about is whether the program offered maybe is geared towards a person trying to ultimately obtain an NBA position or whether it will actually help get you into college ball, if that is your goal. The main people involved seem to be NBA-oriented. Bear in mind, if you go the college route, if you're good enough in that area the NBA will find you.

Having said that, you might just be as far ahead(or further) imo if you can find a mentor in your area at the level you are trying to attain. That person could answer your questions and point you in the right direction. Find out what they did to get their chance. You have to learn what is needed in the Ch1town area to get that chance at your goals.

You will have to go to camps though. You will have to work your head off. You will have to be a sponge. And you will have to play politics to some degree, but you will also have to learn the politics that need to be played.

Jmo, Ch1town....but keep working towards your goal, whether you pay for the Rush system or not. You also have at least 3 people that post here....in Jeff Rutledge, Bob Jenkins and M&M....that I think have a good knowledge of your area re: camps,local politics, etc. Use 'em.

I know that is all pretty vague, but there is no magic answer to your question imo. No matter what, good luck.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 12:53pm
Ch1town

Thanks for the feedback & advice JR, much appreciated!
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:05pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I don't have a clue what the program offered entails, but the people involved sure seem credible. It can't hurt. Whether it is worth the money though....I can't tell you. Ya pays your moneys...ya takes your chances.
I think this says it all in a nutshell. It seems like it can't hurt you, except financially. The people involved know what they're talking about. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think its worth it.... JMO. I do know one of the tesmtionalers and I can ask him, I also know someone else who got it.

I can tell you right now that this is a joke:

Quote:
1 Game Faster – Your investment pays you: $800
2 Games Faster – Your investment pays you: $1600
1/2 Season Faster -Your investment pays you: $16,000
1 Season Faster – Your investment pays you: $32,000
2 Season Faster – Your investment pays you: $64,000
$800 is not an entry level D1 conference game fee....
1/2 a season faster you're going to get 20 D1 games?

Just seems like a bad infomerical to me.

On the other hand, I have heard Ed Rush speak, and he is a very very good speaker/teacher. He knows his ****... how much you can learn out of this... who knows. I'll have to talk to some of the people I know who have invested in this already.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 02:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
1/2 a season faster you're going to get 20 D1 games?
Snake, see my post #18 for hard numbers.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 02:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I realize it's just a sales pitch, but 40 games per season seems optimistic impossible, rather than conservative.
There, I fixed it for you.