The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

ChuckElias Sun Apr 13, 2008 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
That said, they decided to cut away with the Yankees trailing by 1 in the top of the 9th - 2 outs and a full count on Cano. (At least they switched it over to FX, which I frantically scrambled to locate on my TV.)

Bet you're glad you found it! :D Pap's looking good. Papi -- not so much :( Manny's shot was huge though, and he took the minimum time allowed by law to admire it. He had himself a nice game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Manny's shot was huge though, and he took the minimum time allowed by law to admire it. He had himself a nice game.

Men on second and third....first base open.... you've got one of the all-time greatest hitters up there... a guy who homered in his last AB.....your pitcher can't overpower a L'il Leaguer.....and you pitch to Manny instead of Kevin Freaking Youkillis?

Whatinthehell was Girardi thinking of?

ChuckElias Sun Apr 13, 2008 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
you pitch to Manny instead of Kevin Freaking Youkillis?

Whatinthehell was Girardi thinking of?

Obviously, he was scared of Youk! :D

Seriously, maybe he was thinking, "It's only April. Let's see if the old geezer can actually gut it out in a tough spot." Maybe he was hoping to learn something about Mussina for later in the season.

Mark Dexter Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:00am

Quote:

Bet you're glad you found it! :D Pap's looking good. Papi -- not so much :( Manny's shot was huge though, and he took the minimum time allowed by law to admire it. He had himself a nice game.

I was following along on GameCast and counted at least two times where Ellsbury and Pedroia got on base, then Ortiz came to the plate and made an out. It's maddening to see.

At least Giambi isn't doing much better.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I would give you a hard time if you watch NASCAR too.

Peace

If they ran the nascar events on a hockey rink... now THAT would be worth watching.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23am

Quote:

Maybe he was hoping to learn something about Mussina for later in the season.

Yeah good point. After all, Moose is still such an unknown quantity, it's gotta be tough for an old hand like Girardi to figure out how to use him.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Seriously, maybe he was thinking, "It's only April. Let's see if the old geezer can actually gut it out in a tough spot." Maybe he was hoping to learn something about Mussina for later in the season.

Yup, him and Grady Little.....

Hell, everybody in <i>beisbol</i> has got the book on Mussina. He's a .500 pitcher....a junkballer with an 86 mph fast ball. Once you've got 5 innings out of him, anything else is a bonus. Sure, you know he'll <b>gut</b> it out. The odds are that he ain't gonna be getting the Manny's of the world out though while doing so.

You don't let Manny bat in that situation with Kevin Freaking Youkillis hitting behind him.

canuckrefguy Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If they ran the nascar events on a hockey rink... now THAT would be worth watching.

They have that at the Olympics - it's called short-track speed skating.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
So, Chuck, how did you get the pass to get into the new stadium construction site?

(I assume you had somethin' to do with the buried shirt?...)

This just in.....

The BoSox shirt that was buried has been found, dug up and is going to be auctioned off for charity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3344825

Hank Steinbrenner, in true Steinbrenner fashion, was quoted as saying of the BoSox fanboy that buried the shirt <i>"I hope his co-workers kick the sh!t out of him."</i>. And when his co-workers are done, the Yankees (showing the milk of human kindness that they're so noted for) are probably gonna sue his azz off too.

Film at 11.

Mark Padgett Sun Apr 13, 2008 04:46pm

Quote:

The BoSox shirt that was buried has been found, dug up and is going to be auctioned off for charity.

Gee - maybe they could do the same thing with Jimmy Hoffa. :eek:

http://www.greenchair.net/images/hoffa.jpg

ChuckElias Sun Apr 13, 2008 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopey
Moose is still such an unknown quantity, it's gotta be tough for an old hand like Girardi to figure out how to use him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy
Hell, everybody in beisbol has got the book on Mussina.

You don't let Manny bat in that situation with Kevin Freaking Youkillis hitting behind him.

Hey, I was just trying to give your manager the benefit of the doubt. If you guys say he's just an idiot, I won't disagree.

Less than 2 hours to the rubber game.

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 13, 2008 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMe
Hey, I was just trying to give your manager the benefit of the doubt. If you guys say he's just an idiot, I won't disagree.

Nope, I said that particular move was idiotic, not that he's an idiot.

Of course, as a wise man once said (which is also what Old School useta say), <o>"hindsight is foreskin"</i>......Or sumthin' like that.

Mark Padgett Sun Apr 13, 2008 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I would give you a hard time if you watch NASCAR too.

Peace

Are you referring to Nobody Actually Sincerely Cares About Rednecks? :D

Is that like People Eating Tasty Animals? :D

I made the first one up. Give credit for the second one to Robin Williams.

And note the grinning faces. They're just jokes, folks. Well, sort of.

Dan_ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herve Villechaize

Actully (and I'm not surprised I need to explain this) the implication is not that Girardi is the idiot.

Quote:

Nope, I said that particular move was idiotic, not that he's an idiot.

Of course, as a wise man once said (which is also what Old School useta say), <o>"hindsight is foreskin"</i>......Or sumthin' like that.

Don't look back: Something may be gaining on you.

Satchel Paige

just another ref Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23pm

Quote:

Is it at all significant that Youkillis has an average 40 points higher than Manny's?