The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Warning!! It's Baaaaaack!! Off-topic Baseball Thread '08 !! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43023-warning-its-baaaaaack-off-topic-baseball-thread-08-a.html)

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 06, 2008 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm sure there will be many such evenings over the next 6 months.

I'm also sure there will be many more when it goes the other way.

A quick look at the latest standings show the Yankees being a mere 1 1/2 games out of first in their division, while the BoSox are running fifth and dead last.

What goes around, comes around.

Nevadaref Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A quick look at the latest standings show the Yankees being a mere 1 1/2 games out of first in their division, while the BoSox are running fifth and dead last.

What goes around, comes around.

And look who is in first!!!

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="ysprow1" align="right"><td align="left"> Baltimore Orioles</td> <td>4</td> <td>1</td> <td>.800</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> Toronto Blue Jays</td> <td>4</td> <td>2</td> <td>.667</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Tampa Bay Rays</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>.600</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> New York Yankees</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>.500</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Boston Red Sox</td> <td>3</td> <td>4</td> <td>.429</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

grunewar Mon Apr 07, 2008 05:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
And look who is in first!!!

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="ysprow1" align="right"><td align="left"> Baltimore Orioles</td> <td>4</td> <td>1</td> <td>.800</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> Toronto Blue Jays</td> <td>4</td> <td>2</td> <td>.667</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Tampa Bay Rays</td> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>.600</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow2" align="right"> <td align="left"> New York Yankees</td> <td>3</td> <td>3</td> <td>.500</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="ysprow1" align="right"> <td align="left"> Boston Red Sox</td> <td>3</td> <td>4</td> <td>.429</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Yeah, break up the O's! Nevada - I'll be right over to put all my $$$ on them to win the World Series! :D

PS - I'm an O's follower from way, way back.....now, just suffering over the great (sarc) decisions of the beloved owner Mr. Angelos and his team of experts! :( Now, those of us from N VA also get to suffer with the Nats too......we expect another long season.....

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
PS - I'm an O's follower from way, way back

I'm an O's hater from way, way back - ever since they "stole" my idol, Luis Aparicio, away from the White Sox. I think the day that happened, I actually cried.

If I remember correctly (and there's certainly no guarantee of that), the O's got "Leedle Looey" and Al Smith in return for Pete Ward, Hoyt Wilhelm, Dave Nicholson and Ron Hanson. In those days, you really couldn't find more of a contrast at shortstop as between Aparicio and Hanson, especially in height. Ward and Wilhelm performed well but Nicholson was one of those guys who either hit the ball totally over the left field roof or struck out swinging. Most of the time (in fact, almost all of the time) he struck out. Smith was most noted for a famous photo of him playing outfield in the '59 World Series and getting a beer dumped on his head by a fan.

mick Mon Apr 07, 2008 01:41pm

How 'bout those Tigers ?
[From Detnews.com]
A look at how the Tigers finished in recent years after similarly poor starts:
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Year </TD><TD>First 6 games </TD><TD>Finish </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>?</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>42-119</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>55-106</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>79-83</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1999</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>69-92</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>65-97</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Next, tomorrow in Fenway and the tall green wall.

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
How 'bout those Tigers ?
[From Detnews.com]
A look at how the Tigers finished in recent years after similarly poor starts:
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Year </TD><TD>First 6 games </TD><TD>Finish </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>?</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>42-119</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD>0-6</TD><TD>55-106</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>79-83</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1999</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>69-92</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD>1-5</TD><TD>65-97</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Next, tomorrow in Fenway and the tall green wall.

Iirc, about 10/11 years ago the Yankees had a similar start. Everybody was calling for Joe Torre's head. The Yanks went on to win 114 games that year.

Beisbol get serious around the first of September each year. Way too early for "doom and gloom". :)

dblref Mon Apr 07, 2008 02:53pm

Oh, yeah. Redsux are where they belong -- on the bottom. Think I might drink a toast to that tonight.

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblref
Oh, yeah. Redsux are where they belong -- on the bottom. Think I might drink a toast to that tonight.

How do you drink toast? :confused:

Adam Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Lots of butter.

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 07, 2008 07:20pm

Ozzie Guillen gets tossed in home opener.....

.....but the White Sox win anyway on Joe Crede's grand slam. Five in a row for the Good Guys.

Dan_ref Mon Apr 07, 2008 07:25pm

Quote:

How do you turn drink a toast into drinking toast?

ChuckElias Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:35am

Sox home opener and ring ceremony this afternoon. This is supposed to be an ALCS preview, according to a lot of writers, but it's not looking like it at the moment. Dice-K vs. "The Gambler".

So what happened to Jeter last night?

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 08, 2008 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
So what happened to Jeter last night?

Strained quad.....maybe a week.

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
How do you turn drink a toast into drinking toast?

Oh - I thought it was "drink'a toast". You know, like Pauly Walnuts would have said it.

grunewar Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:48am

Quote:

I'm an O's hater from way, way back - ever since they "stole" my idol, Luis Aparicio, away from the White Sox. I think the day that happened, I actually cried.

As noted here many times Mark, you go back further than most of us......:D

As a follower, I can only go back as far as the 60's with the O's - the days of Robinson, Robinson, Powell, Bumbry, Belanger, Blair, Buford, Hendricks, Palmer, McNally, Quellar, etc.

After yrs of stellar attendance the O's got 10K in Camden Yards the other night...... shame - great venue to watch a game!