The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA must call this different-with video

I ref HS ball and sometimes rec ball with NCAA rules. Although I do some HS Varsity boys games we don't get much action above the rim in my area. Does NCAA have a much more liberal interpretation for hanging on the rim?

At the 36 second point of this video I've got an obvious T-especially when the player then hits the backboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGg7...eature=related
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 07:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I can see this being passed in NCAA and called in HS.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 07:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I asked a similar question Sunday and got a similar response.

Hanging on the Rim

Apparently, those of us "more junior" officials see this as more of an egregious infraction than our more experienced brethren.....and so, once again, I file away more information/experience from the forum......
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar

Hanging on the Rim

Apparently, those of us "more junior" officials see this as more of an egregious infraction than our more experienced brethren.....and so, once again, I file away more information/experience from the forum......
It's not up to us to decide to set aside a rule...technical foul.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

As a lifelong Vanderbilt fan I've got a travel on every play followed by multiple T's and ejections, just on GPs!! Otherwise, looks good to me.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 07:17am
Lighten up, Francis.

The chin-up and backboard slap should be a T at both the HS and NCAA level, IMHO. Even in the -- wait for it --
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 07:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar

Hanging on the Rim

I don't know where I sit on the experience barometer, but I don't have anything. It wasn't exactly a chin-up and he tapped the board lightly on the way down. Big deal.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I don't know where I sit on the experience barometer, but I don't have anything. It wasn't exactly a chin-up and he tapped the board lightly on the way down. Big deal.
They get away with it on the NC2A Level, but in HS/FED, Every chin up I have seen has been called. Hanging on the rim is a T as well unless you are protecting yourself or rather someone is under you.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Huh??

Maybe many of you here have never seen a chin up, but I did not see a chin up. I saw a dunk by players flying to the basket. If those are Ts, then I must have missed the memo, because those are not even close to what I have seen on video which was requested to be called.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I saw maybe on or two borderline chin ups. Last time I checked, when you dunked, it was a downward movement. LOL!!!!!
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Maybe many of you here have never seen a chin up, but I did not see a chin up. I saw a dunk by players flying to the basket. If those are Ts, then I must have missed the memo, because those are not even close to what I have seen on video which was requested to be called.

Peace
JRUT and IREFU2,

I agree that all the other dunks in the video are fine-I'm just asking specifically about the 1 dunk shown at the 36 second mark. Actually you can see the same dunk 3 times from the 26 second mark to the 37 mark but you get the best look at it the last time it is shown at the 36 second mark. On this dunk-with the player slapping both sides of the backboard do you have a no call?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I'm just curious as to why on a video about Tennessee was there a graphic saying "Duke is back"?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
They get away with it on the NC2A Level, but in HS/FED, Every chin up I have seen has been called. Hanging on the rim is a T as well unless you are protecting yourself or rather someone is under you.
I see a fair number of dunks in a season. Technicals in those situations call themselves. Calling one on this play in any games means the official went after it. If there was a chin-up, it wasn't that obvious to me.

Still waiting for someone to mention how calling a technical here betters the game.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Obvious T?

Not in my book... Also look t where the defender was coming in from. The little grasp gives time for the offensive guy to make sure he is not being undercut or bumped...

I would not call this at any level
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 05:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I see a fair number of dunks in a season. Technicals in those situations call themselves. Calling one on this play in any games means the official went after it. If there was a chin-up, it wasn't that obvious to me.

Still waiting for someone to mention how calling a technical here betters the game.
What does making the game "better" have to do with the call?

You call chin-up "T"s because the act is against the rules. Whether the player met the rules criteria needed to have a chin-up "T" though is strictly up to the judgment of the official. If you don't think it warrants a "T" under the rules, you don't call it. It's that simple. Some people watching the video think it should be a "T"; some don't. Hell, on this one I'd bet that you'd get different evaluators disagreeing on the call also, depending on their own personal judgment.

Whether calling the technical foul in this case actually "betters" the game though is irrelevant imo. In this case, if you don't call the "T", you do so because you didn't think that it was a "chin-up" in the first place. Personally, I put most "better the game" comments in the same hopper as "game interrupters". I think that both mantras are used by some officials (not you, Rich. I know better) as handy excuses to avoid calling righteous technical fouls.

Jmo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 05:54am.