The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

What Makes A Good Ref - by Steve Lavin

Did anybody see the ESPN2 college game day or whatever, right before the GA/ARK game? They were ripping the officiating and Steve Lavin gave his 5 characteristics of a good basketball official. Just curious if anyone saw that piece. THe other analysts was the most misinformed jackass on the telecast. I can't think of his name, but he chose to break down every "bad" call he saw this past weekend and rip the referees.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

You must be referring to Doug Gottlieb? He sucked when he played at Oklahoma State, and he's even worse as an announcer. The guy has no clue about the rules of college basketball, and he's an embarassment to ESPN.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

When do we get the sequel from Lavin- "What Makes A Good Coach"?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

It could have been Digger Phelps. He seems to be joining the bandwagon for complaining about officials. Doug Gottlieb is a fraud.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Pregame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
It could have been Digger Phelps. He seems to be joining the bandwagon for complaining about officials. Doug Gottlieb is a fraud.
Your signature sounds familiar.....oh yeah, that's my pregame.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
When do we get the sequel from Lavin- "What Makes A Good Coach"?
I think Joey Crawford or Steve Javie should do that one.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I saw it and he was fair about it...He made one comment that he didn't just want a guy who studied the rule book, he'd like to have a guy who played in at least HS and understood the game...

His list had some things like: (Hope I'm not confusing it with something else I saw)

Understanding and application of the rule
Conditioning
Confidence to make the call
Communication/Approachability
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I saw it and he was fair about it...He made one comment that he didn't just want a guy who studied the rule book, he'd like to have a guy who played in at least HS and understood the game...

His list had some things like: (Hope I'm not confusing it with something else I saw)

Understanding and application of the rule
Conditioning
Confidence to make the call
Communication/Approachability
I also thought it was fine. Lavin has every right to his opinions, and everyone should listen to them, whether they agree 100% or not. Guys like him are the decision-makers.

With respect to Gottlieb and other folks, remember that criticism generates viewers and $$$ for the networks. It's easy for him to pick out mistakes and rant about them. Not too tough. Easy way to fill time. Also, for every criticism you hear on the highlight shows, you'll hear a broadcatser watch a replay and admit the official got it right, despite originally questioning the call. They're not all bad. Controversy makes money for them. Just like reality TV.

Officials make mistakes. Life goes on. Coaches, players, and officials have to deal with the opinions of the public.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
I also thought it was fine. Lavin has every right to his opinions,
time for the non-sequiter
Quote:
and everyone should listen to them, whether they agree 100% or not.
Just because someone has a right to his opinion doesn't mean I should listen to it. I have a right not to listen, and I have a right to think he's an idiot.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't have much a problem with Lavin's take, but Gottlieb is an idiot, period. And his point that only someone that played at least at the high school level can make a good official is asinine.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Jimmy Dykes was also on with Lavin several times this weekend. It seemed like every time I saw him, he was complaining about officials.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 01:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I also thought it was fine. Lavin has every right to his opinions, and everyone should listen to them, whether they agree 100% or not. Guys like him are the decision-makers.

With respect to Gottlieb and other folks, remember that criticism generates viewers and $$$ for the networks. It's easy for him to pick out mistakes and rant about them. Not too tough. Easy way to fill time. Also, for every criticism you hear on the highlight shows, you'll hear a broadcatser watch a replay and admit the official got it right, despite originally questioning the call. They're not all bad. Controversy makes money for them. Just like reality TV.

Officials make mistakes. Life goes on. Coaches, players, and officials have to deal with the opinions of the public.
These guys are not qualified to tell officials what they need to do to get better. Just like I am not qualified to tell what makes a good coach from an X's and O's standpoint or whether they know how to motivate their players or not.

And often when issues of controversy come up, these guys do not know the rules they are complaining about. For example the Georgetown-Villanova game and the call that was made near the end of the game. And these guys did not know anything about the Precision Timing System or how it worked when the Tennessee-Rutgers Women’s game had that ending with the clock stopping. They know little or nothing about officiating and that is why we have problems with many of their takes. That does not mean they do not have the right to give their opinions. They are going to give them one way or another that is what they are paid to do. But that does not mean that we have to accept their crap no matter how silly it sounds.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 01:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
you'll hear a broadcatser watch a replay
This guy's a very broad catser, but that doesn't mean I have to listen to him. Besides, how do you hear someone watch something?

Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
These guys are not qualified to tell officials what they need to do to get better. Just like I am not qualified to tell what makes a good coach from an X's and O's standpoint or whether they know how to motivate their players or not. But that does not mean that we have to accept their crap no matter how silly it sounds.

Peace
I hear you, but I think you are qualified to know whether a coach is doing a good job or not based on how many games and teams you get to see every year. Lots of conversations in the locker rooms that I am in are about what schools are doing well on the court and recruiting, and which aren't. I guess I have seen some blatant mistakes the past week on television. Arizona State is sitting home right now because of a blown call, and the official apologized for his mistake. Tough stuff. All games are performed on a stage, and everyone involved has to have some thick skin. Coaches, players, and referees. I also think you can learn something from any point of view. By profession, I'm trained to see the other side of things, and know that both sides always have at least some merit. I rarely dismiss anything as 100% wrong.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Lots of conversations in the locker rooms that I am in are about what schools are doing well on the court and recruiting, and which aren't.
Is this during gym class?

Quote:
I rarely dismiss anything as 100% wrong.
I do. Case in point.