The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 10:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Guess what? I still have games.

Yep - our local kids rec league still has one more Saturday. I have two 6th grade boys games starting at 8:15 in the morning. I might even be awake by then. Probably not, though. It's much more fun working the games while sleeping.

We finish up with our annual referee pizza party that night. I'll probably eat my usual three large stuffed crusts.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 02:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Had our pizza party last night. There were about 30 of us stuffing our pie holes with very nutritious starch-based products. One of the discussions concerned where non-shooters must stand during technical foul (and intentional foul) free throws. There were only a few of us who knew there was no rule requiring the players to be in back court. This is probably one thing I see a lot of refs get wrong all the time. We also discussed changing our kids rec league rules next season to reduce the number of timeouts and also being more strict on bad coaching behavior. One of the guys wants us to call technicals if any defender shouts when a kid is shooting (not FTs, shots!) but he was shouted down.

All in all, it was a good way to unwind after the season. I highly recommend something like this, especially if all the food is free.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
One of the guys wants us to call technicals if any defender shouts when a kid is shooting (not FTs, shots!) but he was shouted down.
I get Rec coaches asking me to call this all the time. I tell em - "Coach, while I don't like it either, there's no rule prohibiting it." One coach went so far as to tell me it was in the Rec League Rules. Luckily, I carry a copy with me. I gave them to him and told him to find it and point it out and I will comply next time. He gave the rules back to me at the next TO, winked and said it was worth a try.

PS - I actually thought about using the "I'll pay you $100 if it's there or you wash my car if its not" scenario.....but, I passed!
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I get Rec coaches asking me to call this all the time. I tell em - "Coach, while I don't like it either, there's no rule prohibiting it." One coach went so far as to tell me it was in the Rec League Rules. Luckily, I carry a copy with me. I gave them to him and told him to find it and point it out and I will comply next time. He gave the rules back to me at the next TO, winked and said it was worth a try.
Coach was trying to influence your decision. Why didn't you T him up?
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep - our local kids rec league still has one more Saturday. I have two 6th grade boys games starting at 8:15 in the morning. I might even be awake by then. Probably not, though. It's much more fun working the games while sleeping.

We finish up with our annual referee pizza party that night. I'll probably eat my usual three large stuffed crusts.
I got a packet today and will be working some games in Raleigh next weekend.

Unfortunately, they are a regional intramural tournament, and not NCAA tourney games, but I'll take either.

Still have games on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for WFU Intramurals, and will have championship games on the next Monday (I got assigned the Mens A league, so that's my post-season excitement). Then on to AAU ball for the summer....
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 07:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Still have games on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for WFU Intramurals
I once worked the WTF Intramurals. There were a lot of Ts.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 08:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I once worked the WTF Intramurals. There were a lot of Ts.
Must have been a frat league.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
I got a packet today and will be working some games in Raleigh next weekend.

Unfortunately, they are a regional intramural tournament, and not NCAA tourney games, but I'll take either.

Still have games on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for WFU Intramurals, and will have championship games on the next Monday (I got assigned the Mens A league, so that's my post-season excitement). Then on to AAU ball for the summer....
Is that the NIRSA regionals? I went a few years ago (at U Maryland) and had a lot of fun.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Is that the NIRSA regionals? I went a few years ago (at U Maryland) and had a lot of fun.
No, this is an ACIS tournament. I am, however, doing the NIRSA regional at the University of Georgia.