Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Post Guess these have been problems

NCAA MEN’S BASKETBALL RULES
INTERPRETATIONS AND PLAYS

January 11, 2007
Play: Team A is in control of the ball when A-1 and B-1 commit a double personal foul. While reporting the foul, the official assesses a direct technical foul against the coach of (a) Team A, or (b) Team B.

Ruling: Charge the fouls. In (a) and (b), any player from the offended team shall attempt the two free throws for the technical foul. Play shall be resumed at the point of interruption, with the ball awarded to Team A, the team in control, at a designated spot nearest to where the ball was located when the double personal foul was committed. In (a), since the technical foul was assessed to the coach of Team A, the team in control, the shot clock shall not be reset. (Rule 2-14.7.h) In (b), since the technical foul was assessed to the coach of Team B, the shot clock shall be reset. (Rule 2-14.6.b)

Play: Player A-1 dunks the ball. In doing so, he grasps the ring, but not in an excessive emphatic manner. A-1 pulls the basket ring down while the ball is in the net of the basket and releases the ring. The force of the release of the ring propels the ball upward into the cylinder above the ring; after which the ball enters the basket from above and passes
through the net.

Ruling: Count the goal. A-1 was permitted to touch or grasp the ring. He did not commit basket interference. (Rule 9-16.3) Consequently, the ball remained live. When the ball entered the basket from above and passed through the net, it was a legal goal. (Rule 4-31.1.a)

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:54am.