Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Time out and Techinical foul

Who's ball after a time out and then a techinacal foul is call
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

For NFHS, the team who did NOT commit the technical foul will receive two shots, and that team will also get the ball.

For NCAA, the team who did NOT commit the technical foul will receive two shots, and the ball will be put back into play at the Point of Interruption, i.e. it will go wherever it would have gone after the timeout had the technical foul not occurred (disclaimer: this assumes that it was not an intentional or flagrant technical foul, I believe, but am no expert in NCAA rules)
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 11:25pm
We don't rent pigs

Look at it this way. The technical foul and the timeout have nothing to do with each other. Whose ball was it if there hadn't been a timeout?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
For NFHS, the team who did NOT commit the technical foul will receive two shots, and that team will also get the ball.

For NCAA, the team who did NOT commit the technical foul will receive two shots, and the ball will be put back into play at the Point of Interruption, i.e. it will go wherever it would have gone after the timeout had the technical foul not occurred (disclaimer: this assumes that it was not an intentional or flagrant technical foul, I believe, but am no expert in NCAA rules)
What you have above is correct for NCAA-M and most times in NCAA-W. (You are correct that intentional and flagrant technical fouls result in possession being awarded to the other team.)

In NCAA-W, however, if the technical foul is called because a team was granted an extra timeout, that team loses possession also.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Look at it this way. The technical foul and the timeout have nothing to do with each other.
Unless, of course, it's a T for an excess TO.

This T includes "loss of ball" in NCAAW, but not in NCAAM