The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa, we have a patch trimmed in different colors depending on one's level of accomplishment. In other words, you pass the closed book test, your patch is trimmed in green (approved). Then you start working your way up, demonstrating rules knowledge on tests, working V games, getting playoff considerations from coaches, and other stuff, you go to being trimmed in gold (recognized), then blue (certified) and finally purple (superior). That all having been said, I see very few guys who actually wear patches no matter their level of accomplishment. Our state allows for a flag and they encourage us to wear a small red patch, trimmed in gold, that says 'Say No to Drugs.'
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 04:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64
Our state allows for a flag and they encourage us to wear a small red patch, trimmed in gold, that says 'Say No to Drugs.'
You might mention to them to change the patch to match our kids rec league slogan: "Do Sports - Not Drugs". It's a little more "catchy" and relates to the fact that we want kids to participate in sports to help them keep their heads on straight.

BTW - does a pink border around your state patch mean "there's nothing wrong with that?"
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Legit question fullor....I guess for ME, I've been around the city working games for 7 seasons now so it's not been a big deal for ME.

When I first started working games at the hoops facility I work during the summer (MS/AAU/Summer HS stuff) I had a list of references I was ready to have my scheduler call on. He stated he was fine with me not being IHSAA Licensed but that they would monitor/evaluate me in their "house league" first...After my first weekend of games he was fine with me working and since then I've worked plenty of games in their larger tournaments that draw teams from around the state as well as Midwest.

For the HS games in Indiana...yes, you do have to be State Licensed and MUST wear your patch...
I'm sure there are plenty of unpatched refs here, yet we have over 5,000 licensed officials. I started off doing high school games immediately and wanted to do it the right way. I felt I'd be cheating myself if I wasn't patched and didn't pass the test. It's pretty much the norm regarding being licensed and patched. You won't get much respect nor much of ANY schedule without being licensed here.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
And, his jersey is on sideways!
I do believe that's an empty beer bucket next to our striped friend. So it's not just the jersey that's sideways
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 03:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
One time I heard some fan say about me, "He doesn't even have a patch on" ....I thought to myself, well...he's right but the guy I was workin with did and he was a first year guy and I'm not sure the patch made much difference!
I have had people that said the same thing to me when I was working AAU games or even summer games which do not require a patch.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 08:27am
Huck Finn

I think the whole "Patched" terminology and language is ridiculous and many comments in this thread are the reason why. To say someone is going to get patched says nothing of their ability to officiate a game well. Whether someone wears a patch or not is no indication of their training or ability.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 08:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Whether someone wears a patch or not is no indication of their training or ability.
Agree. You evaluate the official, not the patch.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 09:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - does a pink border around your state patch mean "there's nothing wrong with that?"
This patch has to be on the right-hand side, correct?
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the whole "Patched" terminology and language is ridiculous and many comments in this thread are the reason why. To say someone is going to get patched says nothing of their ability to officiate a game well. Whether someone wears a patch or not is no indication of their training or ability.
To say someone is going to get patched says nothing of their ability to officiate a game well. Whether someone wears a patch or not is no indication of their training or ability.

Disagree to some extent. You have to be licensed in Illinois to ref high chool games, to be licensed yearly, you have to pass a test and attend a mandatory rules meeting and additionally attend a clinic I believe every other year. Does this make you a good ref? Of course not, but it does say something about one's training........... they've made the effort. I can only go by what I see in the Chicagoland area, and an unpatched official at the middle school level leaves alot to be desired and clearly indicates no effort for self improvement or a willingness to learn. That said, there are plenty of horrible officials that are patched only in an effort to collect a check.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 03:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
To say someone is going to get patched says nothing of their ability to officiate a game well. Whether someone wears a patch or not is no indication of their training or ability.

Disagree to some extent. You have to be licensed in Illinois to ref high chool games, to be licensed yearly, you have to pass a test and attend a mandatory rules meeting and additionally attend a clinic I believe every other year. Does this make you a good ref? Of course not, but it does say something about one's training........... they've made the effort. I can only go by what I see in the Chicagoland area, and an unpatched official at the middle school level leaves alot to be desired and clearly indicates no effort for self improvement or a willingness to learn. That said, there are plenty of horrible officials that are patched only in an effort to collect a check.
I do know there are quite a few varsity games worked in Illinois without patches being worn. Some of the officials are from out of state and aren't looking to impress the IHSA since they aren't going to get post-season games anyway. Some work mostly college games.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 03:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Nobody's ever said anything to me about not wearing a patch. Of course, in Wisconsin we don't wear any.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 05:57pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Nobody's ever said anything to me about not wearing a patch. Of course, in Wisconsin we don't wear any.
You don't where you are, but I'm sure you've read someone say something like, "I think I will get patched next year" or something similar. My comment had to do with the fact that a patch alone, or the process involved with getting one, doesn't make an official a good official. This may be something that is very misunderstood by the fans.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Local IAABO Board Patch ...

On our local IAABO board, the "first" year official is considered a "probationary" member, which simply means that he, or she, has passed the written test before the season began, usually after attending about a dozen rules clinics. Once they pass the written test, they attend several mechanics clinics, after which they are eligible to accept subvarsity assignments, middle school, freshman, or junior varsity games. Toward the end of the season, they must pass a floor exam, after which they become full members of our local board, which is signified by the new member receiving his, or her, patch at our final board meeting of the season.

I agree with those who posted that an unpatched official can be a very good official, especially those who may have had previous experience outside our IAABO organization. I also agree that a patched official can be a very poor official, especially if he, or she, doesn't take advantage of camps, clinics, colleague critiques, etc.

Fans in our area seem to recognize the meaning of the patch. As is our custom, varsity officials must observe about three periods of the junior varsity game, that usually precedes our varsity game. We often hear fans reacting to a "bad" call by a "probationary" member, that the official "doesn't have a patch".

Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

I think we should all wear this patch. I bet coaches would stop giving us crap.

Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

...or patches like these....

http://www.friscohellsangels.com/

enter at your own risk...
Richland, WA