The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 12:50pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I disagree. You should keep whichever assignment you accepted first; unless you already have been told by the lower level assigner that he/she understands you may turn some back.

Turning back games because you got a higher level assignment is, IMO, unprofessional, tacky, and just plain rude. Again, this assumes you don't have at least spoken permission from the lower level assigner.
That's a biggie, at least it is in CO but there are professional ways to go about it. I took several upgrades this past season (lower-level for varsity not girls for boys) as I work for 4 different assignors. Never on game day though!!
First, I'd find at least 3 replacements options for him, then tell the assignor the "truth" about wanting the higher caliber game opportunity & ask for his blessings. And each time it was approved & the assignor even gave me congrats for landing the assignment. Of course whenever he needed a "favor" I felt obligated to work for him. I guess a two way street is what it all boils down to.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks. Emailed B with copies of emails of closed date. Gave him the option of keeping me on the games (if location is close to A's games). Let A decide what he wants to do.

More info. Both varsity assigners. More work from B. Better quality from A. Not sure of B or G games.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is where local standards are different. But I never think working a higher level game is unprofessional if you have been given a lower level game first. But if you have a contract you need to square that situation with who you first signed on with. And most official's goals are not to work lower level games and you cannot work post season games in many cases by working a lower level game. I do not care what level I am working, but if the Division 1 level came calling, I am working the Division 1 game six days a week and twice on Sunday. And if an assignor cannot deal with that, then I do not need to work for them. The key is being honest. I would only think that would be a problem if you tried to decieve the people involved or worked a similar level.

Peace
Reminds me this year I had a jr high date coming up and an assignor called with a good varsity game(Hey, they're all good) for that day. I called jr high assignor who I'm friendly with and he was a little put out. I was shocked. It was a week in advance, and I had a sub lined up. Most guys would say, have fun.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I should probably clarify. My problem with Tio's post was the word "obviously." It isn't obvious that you should take an upgrade, as there may be situations where an agreed-to contract should be fulfilled. Most lower level assigners would, I think, understand these things. But I would propose that there needs to be an understanding in place, or do what Ch1town talks about and work with the assigner to find replacements.

Bottom line, it's nowhere near "obvious."
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
Thanks. Emailed B with copies of emails of closed date. Gave him the option of keeping me on the games (if location is close to A's games). Let A decide what he wants to do.
I hope you meant let B decide what he wants to do. From your post, A seems to have done nothing wrong, and closed dates for you first. Seems to me like any decisions that need to be made are by you and/or B.

If I were A, and knew I gave you games before another same-level assignor (I agree with others that a JV --> V upgrade is a special circumstance), and you asked for my decision, then my decision would be to yank your schedule and say thanks but no thanks.

edit: I just re-read your OP, and you say that you've never worked for A before. I now stand by my suggestion even more, as this is definitely not the type of 1st impression I'd want to be making with a new assignor...

Last edited by ma_ref; Thu Mar 13, 2008 at 01:27pm.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Just simply be honest and that should eliminate most of the situation.
This is great advice. Assigning is done differently everywhere so you will need to talk to some veterans in your area and get their take.

Be honest and don't delay dealing with the issue.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
I accepted 5 games from Varsity assigner A. No teams. Just dates and times. Never worked for him before. Recommended to him by fellow officials. Send varsity assigner B new closed dates reflecting accepted dates from assigner A.

Assigner B gave me 14 games the previous season.

Assigner B sends me 14 games for this season some of which have dates which conflict with assigner A's dates. again no teams. just dates and times.

Four dates which conflict I could work both a 4pm and 7pm game (1 from each assigner). But I have no idea which schools i'll be going to and may have trouble getting to the 7PM game by 6:30.

HOW should I handle this?
The best thing to do is to find an assignor like ours who gives you 2 or 3 games all at the same place. Then you don't have to worry about traffic.