The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Violation or no??

Kid catches a pass with both feet on the floor,no pivot foot established yet, legs are wide, leans forward,puts the ball on the floor while holding it in both hands, pushes himself back up, and starts to dribble. On the clip I saw online, ref calls double dribble. Looked up definiton of dribble in Chapter 4 , and can't find anything that would make this a double dribble?? Could this be a travel?? or nothing?? Thanks
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:51am
In Memoriam

Legal per NFHS case book play 4.15COMMENT.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like nothing to me. I had this situation in a AAU game about 3 years ago. Happened right in front of me. I had nothing, but my partner calls double dribble from across the court. We ended up discussing it in a group with about 4 other officials after the game, and then found a case book play. After finding that, he owed me a beer.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 10:15am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
Kid catches a pass with both feet on the floor,no pivot foot established yet, legs are wide, leans forward,puts the ball on the floor while holding it in both hands, pushes himself back up, and starts to dribble. On the clip I saw online, ref calls double dribble.
This exact play resulted in my only coach ejection. Coach argued that it was a double dribble. I assured him it wasn't. He persisted and got whacked. He told me to learn the rule. And he gone!