The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Okay, here's what happened to me in my game tonight. I was coaching.

Boys 7-8 game. Overtime with 7.3 seconds left.

A1 is on the line for the second shot of a 1 and 1 bonus. Score is 35-32 in favour of B.

A1 attempts to glance a shot off the rim, but FT goes up and doesn't hit the rim. Offials do not call the missed rim. A2 rebounds the ball, kicks it out to A3 who nails a 3 pointer to re-tie the game. Official signals the made 3 and the buzzer sounds as the ball drops through the hoop.

Coach B is yelling that there was no rim. Official comes to ask my opinion (since when do officials ask coaches for their opinions) as to whether this was a correctable error or not.

I suggested that since the buzzer was the first dead ball after the made basket, that this was a correctable error, since the basket never should have counted in the first place because of the missed rim on the 2nd FT. Therefore, reset the clock to 7.3 seconds and hand the ball to B under A's basket. Final score 35-32.

Although I wasn't officiating this game, would this have been the right call?

Ren
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 07:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Under NF rules (and in your profile it states that is what you use), this is not a correctable error. Whether the ball hit the rim or not is a judgement call.

Of course, if they go with their original call of the ball hitting the rim, you have an overtime game and that's not allowed under my rules.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Of course, if they go with their original call of the ball hitting the rim, you have an overtime game and that's not allowed under my rules.
Actually, it would be a double overtime. Once you have one, you might as well go for the record.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
I suggested that since the buzzer was the first dead ball after the made basket, that this was a correctable error, since the basket never should have counted in the first place because of the missed rim on the 2nd FT. Therefore, reset the clock to 7.3 seconds and hand the ball to B under A's basket. Final score 35-32.

Although I wasn't officiating this game, would this have been the right call?

Ren
Not a correctible error. Even if it were, you don't add time back onto the clock. In the case of the situation described above, the ref has to go home secure in the knowledge that he probably lost/won the game for whoever, because of his own error. It's surprising how seldom a ref really is in this type of situation. Very rarely does the ref "throw" the game by an error.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
The error isn't allowing the basket.
The error is not calling the violation.
The error is not correctable.

Think of it this way. What if the ball had hit the rim, rebounded by A2 who travels before tossing it to A3 who hits the game tying 3? Is the traveling violation a correctable error? Of course not. In both cases, it's just a violation that the officials missed.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

darn... I should have kept my yap shut and taken the tie and gone into double OT.

I'll chalk that one up to experience.

Ren
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 10:34am
Esteemed Participant

Let me get this straight...the official came to you and you told them to take away a 3 pointer by YOUR TEAM??? Wow...now there's some integrity! Forget whether you were right or wrong, I am impressed!! Don't see that kind of integrity very often...you are a great example for your athletes!
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Sportsmanship is very important on my team. Maybe it`s my catholic school upbringing and the fact that I teach in a catholic school.

Either way... we didn`t EARN the tie. We worked hard, but the violation was clearly missed. I knew it, the other coach knew it, and the players knew it. They didn`t like it... but they knew it.

Ren
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 12:59pm
Esteemed Participant

As I said, I am impressed...wish we had some coaches like you around here...
Old Thu Mar 07, 2002, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind I can turn into a howler monkey in an instant!