The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys. I am interested in officiating, and I'm not sure why. Why did you guys choose to become officials? What do you like about your jobs, and how do you handle coaches, players and fans criticism?
Also, I was watching the Texas vs. Iowa St. game last night, and an Iowa St. player was intentionally fouled, but still made the shot. The officials counted the basket and gave him 2 FTs and the ball. It should have been one shot and the ball, correct?
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Trust the official in the game utex. There is a reason he is there and you are not yet there. That reason is that he knows the rules.

Any intentional foul carries a 2 shot penalty, regardless of what happens on the shot.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Why do we officiate? For some of us it's to give something back to our community, and back to the sports they love. Others they just have to much free time.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 02:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Trust the official in the game utex. There is a reason he is there and you are not yet there. That reason is that he knows the rules.

Any intentional foul carries a 2 shot penalty, regardless of what happens on the shot.
Maybe under NCAA rules, but not under NF. An intentional foul on a shooter who misses a 3 point attempt is 3 shots and the ball.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 02:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why I officiate?

I officiate because I am still a very competitive person by nature. I was not a "great" athlete but a decent one. I played Football, Basketball and Baseball since I was a kid and thru High School. I am a huge sports fan that can have an extensive talk about most major sports in both college and pro and HS. I had been looking for some way to get directly involved in sports since I could not realitically play anymore. Then a friend in college told me about how he was a HS umpire. The rest was history.

I love the fact that you still have to keep your composure and still are required to perform at the top level. And in the end, I am the one that wlil be right no matter what. Now of course you must be prepared and make good decisions, but you word is final.

And finally I stay physically fit and healthy. I am probably now in better shape then I was when I was a teenager. And if the exercise keeps me healthy longer in my later years, then so be it.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle

Maybe under NCAA rules, but not under NF. An intentional foul on a shooter who misses a 3 point attempt is 3 shots and the ball.
You are totally correct MP. I was thinking along the lines of the drive to the hole where the player is intentionally fouled. But it is 3 shots for an intentional foul on a missed 3 point attempt.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by utex
... and how do you handle coaches, players and fans criticism?
utex,
We need a baseline.
Let's first assume we have done our homework and we know the rules and the mechanics. This gives us a layer of security and self-confidence. This is most important.

Then we realize that we get yelled at for two reasons:
  • 1. We made a bad call
  • 2. The complainers are ignorant.

For 1.> We go back study harder and work harder and take the abuse, then vow we will not make the same mistake.
    For 2.> We realize that we cannot deal with ignorance and dismiss it... totally.

Good luck.

mick

Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 06:57pm
    Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. One reason I'm interested in officiating is that I grew up on the court, and want to stay in the game. Plus, its good exercise, and I'm not bothered by constructive criticism.
    My main concern though is balancing time between officiating, work and my family.
    Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:01pm
    Official Forum Member

There's nothing constructive about most of the criticism we hear.
    Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 07:36am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Hey guys. I am interested in officiating, and I'm not sure why. Why did you guys choose to become officials? What do you like about your jobs, and how do you handle coaches, players and fans criticism?
    Also, I was watching the Texas vs. Iowa St. game last night, and an Iowa St. player was intentionally fouled, but still made the shot. The officials counted the basket and gave him 2 FTs and the ball. It should have been one shot and the ball, correct?
    Quite frankly, my wife got me into officiating. I have 2 sons that played soccer/basketball all through middle school and high school. I was one of those parents that "knew all the rules" and, to my embarrasement, was quite vocal about it. My wife did not even want to sit with me and told me to "put up or shut up!" and I did. I officiated soccer for 22 years (HS and D-3) and basketball for the past 7 years (HS). I simply enjoy it. It keeps me in touch with the game I love and the exercise is good (I am 58 years old). My only regret is that I did not start basketball when I started soccer. It never rains in the gym!
    Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 10:42am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Thanks for the feedback. One reason I'm interested in officiating is that I grew up on the court, and want to stay in the game. Plus, its good exercise, and I'm not bothered by constructive criticism.
    My main concern though is balancing time between officiating, work and my family.
    It sounds to me that you are a prime candidate to at least
    try reffing, go ahead and give it a shot. As for the
    time involved, it's only as time consuming as you let it be, you can work 1 game a week and still be involved.
    "Constructive criticism, well, you'll find out soon enough
    if you've got the type of personality that can get beyond
    that. But you've certainly hit on the top reasons why
    officials quit, so you'll be going in knowing what to
    expect. Which is good. Good luck.
    Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 11:14am
    Official Forum Member

In the NBA if this had been determined a "flagrant foul" (akin to the intentional foul) you would be partially right utex.... the shooter would have scored and would have gone to the line for 2 to make 1 and then get the ball.

Of course if I'm wrong with this one Drake will kick my butt.
    Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 02:04pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
    Why I officiate? Several reasons here they go. 1) money, 2) community, 3) friends, 4)basketball, 5)fun. Actually, even if I wasn't paid, there is no place I'd rather be then wearing a stripped shirt and on the floor when the ball goes up.

How I got into it, I wanted to officiate football but when the another season started and I forgot to make the contacts I needed to start officiating football, I made the contacts to do basketball and I have been doing it ever since. Now that I do basketball, I don't want to do football. One type shirt and more games in basketball.
    Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 03:39pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
    Love youth sports

I officiate because I love youth sports. Because of my work schedule, I can't commit to coaching for x nights a week, or even the same nights each week. So I officiate, pick my nights, and I stay involved.
    Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 03:48pm
    certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
    Originally posted by Tim Roden
    there is no place I'd rather be then wearing a stripped shirt and on the floor when the ball goes up.
    In my state, if your shirt is stripped off you on the floor, it's probably grounds for an assault charge.

And no - before you ask - there's no such thing as an assault block. It's always a charge - that's because the assaulter never has legal position.

OK, OK - I'll go back on my meds now.