LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:57am
Ch1town

Decisions... decisions

http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/r....2.670612.html

What would you do?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

So the athletic program is thriving under his leadership, and someone wants to get his name in the paper by throwing a tantrum about which days he works during the year?

If they push too far, I'd find myself a new AD job if I were him. With his track record, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
So the athletic program is thriving under his leadership, and someone wants to get his name in the paper by throwing a tantrum about which days he works during the year?

If they push too far, I'd find myself a new AD job if I were him. With his track record, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult.

Hightower is in the same situation I believe, delicate situation to say the least.

Sounds like he has everything covered and as you mentioned, He'd have no problem finding another AD position.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Hightower is in the same situation I believe, delicate situation to say the least.

Sounds like he has everything covered and as you mentioned, He'd have no problem finding another AD position.
And at a higher level of school, Rick Hartzell is also there (AD at the University of Northern Iowa.)
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
And at a higher level of school, Rick Hartzell is also there (AD at the University of Northern Iowa.)
Hartzell resigned recently. His resignation had nothing to do with his officiating.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What's he doing now?
Can't you guys keep your basketball in order? Since I left, all he!! has brokent loose with the basketball programs at the big 4 (Go Dogs.)
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I know, the state is falling apart. As far as I know he isn't going to another school. As I understand it, he gave UNI a few demands for his new contract. They refused to meet them and he walked.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I know, the state is falling apart. As far as I know he isn't going to another school. As I understand it, he gave UNI a few demands for his new contract. They refused to meet them and he walked.
Maybe they thought he was missing too many work days while galavanting around the country officiating basketball games.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I don't know. Hard to say without knowing what percentage of his job duties require him to be onsite. Sounds to me like his employer is trying to be reasonable by allowing him to still go on the road to ref a few times a year but not quite so many.

AD's that I know spend a lot of time in face-to-face meetings and I would venture to say that the number of days he spends out of the office are becoming a problem.

We all do have to juggle our full-time job with the demands of officiating. He'll have to make a choice.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Based on the presumption that the athletic director would have some sort of supervisoree role over the basketball coaches, I can see an issue with the AD's absence at games. But, if that were the case, I wonder why it was just noticed. (It could have been noticed early, but didn't get media attention until now.)
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Based on the presumption that the athletic director would have some sort of supervisoree role over the basketball coaches, I can see an issue with the AD's absence at games. But, if that were the case, I wonder why it was just noticed. (It could have been noticed early, but didn't get media attention until now.)
From the article, his immediate supervisor signed off on it. Also from the article, the district's athletic programs have done very well over his tenure. So, if you're concerned about results....
If, however, you're concerned about process over results, then you could make an argument that he's not doing his job.

Again, with his track record, I'm sure he could find another school district in Colorado that would be willing to accomodate his outside schedule.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I am with the admin on this one. If they feel he is away too much, they have every right to demand that he be present more often.

However, the person does have a good track record and does seem to raise the school's presence, which is likely part of his job description.

I think it's obvious this person can get a job many places, but if he has been at this school for quite some time, his success over the years breads the success (to a degree) that he now experiences, even while not being present as often as the super wants. To reproduce this effect somewhere else isn't guaranteed, nor will it happen evernight if it does happen elsewhere.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree they have the right to insist he be present more often during the normal school year. I just think it's silly.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Had a similar case happen in Tampa Bay, FL area. Prospective City Manager, informed City Commission that he is a NCAA D1 and Arena Football official. The commission were OK with this information and hired him.

Several months pass and nothing is said or done about the CM leaving on Friday afternoon to travel to an out of state game. Then he gets an invite to work some exhibition games in Japan. Somehow this information gets leaked to the local newspaper and they make a big stink as to the CM spending less than full time at work, no one (commissioners and/or department heads) can't reach him, and he using his accrued time while on non-business related trips.

The commission didn't squelch the information nor did they defend him.

Bottom Line - He quit. We lost a good city manager and friend.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

From what I read in the article, it seems he's away more than the original supervisor anticipated. He was given some flexibility but took substantially more than was expected. It seems as if he's pushed the consideration given him too far. Gone 55 days out of a 180 day school year is beyond reasonable to me....for any position in the school.